Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patience with Taylor

NoVaSkins21

I loved the trade because it definitely gves the Skins the a bonafide pass rusher, but I think we all need to realize that it's going to take a while for Taylor to adjust to the new defensive scheme he's in. After Andre Carter's first year here, I thought the guy was a bust FA signing, but we all saw what he did in year two. Don't get wrong, I hope he does great things for the Skins, but when every opponent gameplans for the Skins, Taylor will priority #1 on defense. Taylor has to get used to his new teammates and they have to get used to him.

I think you're speaking apples and oranges here. The reason it took Carter a while is because he was playing in a 3-4 before he came here. Taylor is just switching sides and should be an immediate impact. It may take a few games until he plays every down and packages where he is responsible for coverage, other than that there should be no adjustment.

Jason will make a huge impact whether he has double digit sacks this season or not because as you said he will be the focal point for the opposing teams offensive line which means less double teams on AC Monty and Griffin.

Taylor will not have trouble transitioning to the defense. Another reason Carter didn't play as well his first year was becase of the way to DL was being used. They didn't just let him loose to go get the QB. They realized their mistake and let him go year 2. Him and Taylor will def be getting after the QB. AC and our DTs sack numbers will def go up now b/c teams will focus on JT. LBs will have it easier when blitzing as well. Once EJ gets healthy also, we should have a very scary pass rush with a good scondary behind them. Look for turnovers to go up.

The Taylor transition shouldn't be like the Carter transition at all. Carter was coming from SF where he had played LB for most of his career. Taylor is a career DE that has performed at a HOF level consistently over his career.

Actually Carter had played DE most of his career, but was currently playing OLB at SF. And Taylor has played at LDE quit a bit the last 3 years, so there shouldnt be the kind of adjusments Carter had.

He'll be ready by week one. I don't think there should be any grace period come regular season. At the end of the day, he will have to rush the QB or play the run. He has been in the league for 11 years and has played under several different coaches. The only adjustment I see is moving from one side to another which he seems confident about.

As B Mitch says...you pin your ears back and get after the QB. That's it. lol the guy knows how to do that, has the speed, athleticism, moves/technique etc. Just a matter of getting into football shape and maybe coming from the left end instead of the right.

Sorry, none here. He's one of the best at his position. We're paying him top dollar and gave up draft pick compensation.

He's coming out like a gang buster and towing the rope for the Burgundy and Gold till he retires.

I loved the trade because it definitely gves the Skins the a bonafide pass rusher, but I think we all need to realize that it's going to take a while for Taylor to adjust to the new defensive scheme he's in.

Very true. We can't expect anything out of him immediately. I'm more than happy to give him the entire 12 days that remain between now and the Hall of Fame game to get his **** in order. At that point in time he needs to start earning his paycheck, just like every other player on this roster.

Of course there will be adjsutments. New players along side him, slightly different scheme. The biggest adjustment will be switching to the left side full time. Although that should be an advantage going against the normally weaker right offensive tackle.

I think you're speaking apples and oranges here. The reason it took Carter a while is because he was playing in a 3-4 before he came here. Taylor is just switching sides and should be an immediate impact. It may take a few games until he plays every down and packages where he is responsible for coverage, other than that there should be no adjustment.

Uh, correct me if I am wrong but I think Miami plays a 3-4 also.

:2cents:

JT was a def. player of the year, this means he has lots of natural talent. I expect him to use this natural talent and get more sacks than anyone eles on our team. The schemes may be diffrent, but we will have him rush the passer a lot, using that natural ability, if we don't then we are stupid.

Go skins

"it will take them some time to adjust to the new system/scheme". Give me an f'ing break. While this is true (somewhat) and practice makes perfect, these guys are "professionals". this is what they do. they play football, learn "new systems/schemes", get traded, have new coaches, new ways of doing things. this excuse is extremely overated. go tell jt that we will be patient with his production (or lack there of) because he is on a new team. after that post the picture of him laughing at you.

Jason Taylor is an All Pro Player.....there is no reason to expect a "grace period" with him. Now with that said, I would gladly be willing to settle with him getting lesser stats if it in turn means he is being double-teamed almost every down which allows Andre Carter one on one matchups and interior line to run a little bit more free.

Very true. We can't expect anything out of him immediately. I'm more than happy to give him the entire 12 days that remain between now and the Hall of Fame game to get his **** in order. At that point in time he needs to start earning his paycheck, just like every other player on this roster.

MORE than every other player on the roster, if anything.

We gave up a draft pick and we only have him for a year, make that two if we are lucky. I personally won't have much patience if he doesn't perform.

That said, I fully expect him to perform at a very high level. So it should be a non-issue in my opinion.

:cool:

Archived