Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Albert Haynesworth: Should we look at him?

Morneblade

On the plus side, he's still pretty young (27) and one of the best, if not the best DT's playing right now. He brings a serious mean streak with him and is one of the few DT's I've seen in some time that can totally change the game. He is very tought to move out, but has the burst to get penatration and get to the QB. He's also a Vol alum. :D

On the negative side, is his asking price. He wants to be paid like the best DT in the league and just turned down 40 million for 4 years, but less than half was guarenteed and that seemed to be the sticking point.

Should we take a serious look at him?

I thought they franchised him this year? Guess I'm wrong.

But we all know he hates the pukes, so I'm in :D.

Seriously though, no cap room, so it won't happen.

Plus we need depth at CB and LB, not particulary DT.

We need a starter at DE as well, but Albert should be dominant and increase how effective both our secondary and linebackers would be. He could make us the best defense in the NFL.

Cap room would be a problem, but after seeing 50 "Farve Threads" (who is going to make MORE this year and Hanyesworth) over the last week, why not?

But do you think he would be worth it?

With the need of depth and youth in a lot of key areas, it would be very tough to justify trading more than a 1st rounder for him.

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to trade a 1st rounder and Montgomery or something like that... But it's hard to trade multiple picks, especially when one of them is a 1st rounder.

With the need of depth and youth in a lot of key areas, it would be very tough to justify trading more than a 1st rounder for him.

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to trade a 1st rounder and Montgomery or something like that... But it's hard to trade multiple picks, especially when one of them is a 1st rounder.

What?

Have you watched any of the games Montgomery has played in? If we can bring in Haynesworth I'm all for it. But Monty stays a Redskin or it's all for nought.

He is that good!

I don't think he's worth what it would cost us to get him. C. Griff is old, but he's still got some gas in the tank, and Anthony Montgomery is developing into every bit the stud that AH is. D-line is not one of the concerns or problem areas that we need to address through FA right now IMO.

EDIT: Pedro, didn't see your post when I dropped mine in. I could not agree more, brother. AM is a force, pure and simple. He's younger, as big and probably quicker than Haynesworth, so we can't let him get away.

He wants to be paid like the best DT in the league and just turned down 40 million for 4 years, but less than half was guarenteed and that seemed to be the sticking point.

Absolutely not, due to the above point. The guy for the most part was lack luster and just decent up until the past year. Big surprise, going into a contract year he explodes and performs amazingly and was said to be in the best shape he's been in while playing in the NFL.

Of course he wants guarenteed money. Becuase then his motivation can go back to crap. He'd be a waste of a hiring that we'd be lamenting by end of the year.

But to the OP I say yes.

We should look at it and look hard. Montgomery and Haynesworth in the middle would be the best DT tandem in the NFL. I would expect Carter to get 15 sacks with this duo starting at DT. Fletcher plays behind them and our outside LBers start outside and stay there, including eyes.

Haynesworth is the player/position that can spark the rest of the team. Saying that as a draft lines first person I'm quite happy with what we have on both lines right now, but I don't expect us to win right now either...

I don't think he's worth what it would cost us to get him. C. Griff is old, but he's still got some gas in the tank, and Anthony Montgomery is developing into every bit the stud that AH is. D-line is not one of the concerns or problem areas that we need to address through FA right now IMO.

EDIT: Pedro, didn't see your post when I dropped mine in. I could not agree more, brother. AM is a force, pure and simple. He's younger, as big and probably quicker than Haynesworth, so we can't let him get away.

What?

Have you watched any of the games Montgomery has played in? If we can bring in Haynesworth I'm all for it. But Monty stays a Redskin or it's all for nought.

He is that good!

I knew I would get lynched for adding Monty. But Monty is nowhere near the stud that Haynseworth is. I’m saying that to make a deal work, we would have to trade at least a first rounder and a young prospect like Monty or Gholston. I wouldn’t exactly be opposed to making it happen, but I don’t think it will.

Im gonna have to call you on the last part. Monty is about the same size (6'5, 315), but not nearly as quick as Haynesworth (6'6, 320).

Archived