Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Favre to the Redskins?

ThePreciating

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/15/favre-to-the-redskins/

FAVRE TO THE REDSKINS?

Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2008, 2:11 p.m. EDT

A reader tells us that WFAN’s Mike Francesa said earlier this afternoon that the Packers could be trading quarterback Brett Favre to the Carolina Panthers or the Washington Redskins for a conditional first-round draft pick.

The problem in that regard is that the Panthers don’t own a first-rounder in 2009; they traded it to the Eagles. But maybe the Packers would settle for the equivalent of a round-one selection under the points chart that teams use to value draft picks.

We’d previously heard that Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, had been saying privately that Favre wants to play for the Panthers. We hadn’t previously considered the Redskins, but the light bulb finally flickered during a Tuesday afternoon radio visit with Big O & Dukes of WJFK in D.C.

Jim Zorn is the new coach of the Redskins, and he’ll be using a version of the West Coast offense. Favre has been running the West Coast offense for his entire career.

Also, Redskins owner Dan Snyder has a history of targeting big-name players, and of giving up draft picks to get them. Given that franchise quarterbacks rarely if ever are available via trade or otherwise, perhaps Snyder and the ‘Skins won’t be able to resist.

Just saw this myself....pleaase nooooo!

Dan and Vinny- JUST SAY NO!

That said it will not surprise me one iota if it ends up happening. So much for long-range planning. If it happens we can effectively say good bye to campbell because he aint gonna stand for bein strung along as such.

This is a "rumor" from PFT, so I'll take it w. a grain of salt...

*I haven't chimed in on the other Favre threads here on the forum, but I hope that the Skins aren't really considering doing this. I would like to think the team has turned the corner in the way they approach free agency, trades, the draft, etc...however if a move is made to bring a 38yo Favre in here to DC, this will put us further back than one can imagine. This SHOULD be JC's team...after typing this, I should also have realized that every big-name player looking for a trade or release, will ultimately be linked to the Skins in some way...

Doesn't seem like too much substance here. However, if we do trade a 1st rounder I hope we have a great season, so the pick is more like a #29 pick, instead of a top 10 pick...

I hope we have a good season for the sake of having a good season. ;)

Favre is undoubtedly a Hall of Famer; however, something just doesn't sit well with me about putting a guy at the helm who, as of late, has had such difficulty making decisions and has morphed into a whiny drama queen. I didn't feel quite this strongly about the latter characteristic until after reading his gratuiotous bashing of Ted Thompson.

Translation: The Redskins have shown no interest, nor do we have any substantial information to put up a valid story. But the Redskins have done it before. So umm, maybe they'll do it this time?
Agreed.

They did this at the beginning of Free Agency, and now that we haven't been big players so far, they figure, well, they haven't made a splash yet so they're due. I'm not worried, and if he does come here, he better win the Super Bowl or it'll all be a bust.

This is complete bull crap. There is no reason to think that the Redskins would make this move, and I don't think that any team is going to give up a first round draft pick for Favre to have ONE more year. Yes, I know that it's Bret Favre and I know that he is a HOF QB, but everyone knows that at the end of this coming season, he will do the exact same thing about wavering on retirement that he has done for the past four years. No way, No how.

if something like this were to take place, it would have to be this week, with training camp starting sunday. don't forget, the packers want to rid themselves of this soap opera ASAP.

No, if something happens with this, ES will look like this:

Archived