Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Training Camp Countdown: RBs

themurf

Ryan O'Halloran breaks down a position each day heading into the start of Washington Redskins training camp Sunday. Tuesday — Running backs.

Key statistic

4 — Rushes by the Redskins last year — in 498 attempts — that gained 20 or more yards.

What happened last year

The Redskins ranked 12th in rushing yards a game (116.9) but 22nd in yards a carry (3.8). Clinton Portis led the NFL with 325 carries, was fourth with 11 touchdowns and was sixth with 1,262 yards. Ladell Betts' work sunk to 93 carries, and Mike Sellers was used primarily as a blocker (26 carries). Rock Cartwright had two carries.

Who's back

Portis, Betts, Sellers and Cartwright are all back in the fold. Cartwright re-signed with the team early in free agency, and his first priority is as a kickoff returner. Rounding out the camp roster are second-year player Marcus Mason, who spent last year on the practice squad, and fullback Nehemiah Broughton, who spent last season on injured reserve.

Click here for full article.

Portis dropping some weight and a different style offense will bring Clintons numbers up this season. Portis was never really comfortable with running between the tackles. Betts and Sellars are more of the pound the rock style runners.

Bit of a sobering stat, though there were the often discussed issues with the oline that probably helped with some of that. However, I tend to look at all those stats together and it seems things weren't quite as bad as all that. However, there is room for improvement,(isn't there always/), and will be interesting to see how things work out this coming season.

This is why I don't understand why they are "keeping the running game exactly the same". I thought they just meant no change in terminology but in a lot of player interviews they said it will stay the exact same. Doesn't seem to make sense to me with Portis's running style but I could be way off.

This is why I don't understand why they are "keeping the running game exactly the same". I thought they just meant no change in terminology but in a lot of player interviews they said it will stay the exact same. Doesn't seem to make sense to me with Portis's running style but I could be way off.

Style has nothing to do with it, Portis and the ground games success will depend upon Zorn's play calling and JC's ability to run the WCO. If defense's have to play honest and are kept off balance by Zorns play calling Portis will exploit a defense regardless of what running play is called.

Likewise if Zorn is predictable, like Gibbs, and JC struggles, like he did at times last year, then CP will be bogged down again regardless if the O-Line zone blocks or pulls.

It's an issue of time/manpower. Zorn was hired late due to Gibbs' unexpectedly stepping down and the somewhat long search process. Also, Zorn is wearing a lot of hats. That plus having the players learn a new system meant it was best to wait until next season to revamp the running game.

I agree it needs to change though. Portis excelled in Denver's one cut and go running attack and then Gibbs brought him here and tried to change him into J. Riggins.

Portis dropping some weight and a different style offense will bring Clintons numbers up this season. Portis was never really comfortable with running between the tackles. Betts and Sellars are more of the pound the rock style runners.

Seeing Clinton on NFL Network recently he doesn't look like he has dropped any weight. I think he said he is still around 220 hopefully camp will get him down to around 205

I don't think the running game does have to change all that much as far as playcalling goes. I think having a more consistent passing game is going to improve things in the running game, not to mention having a healthy line. Kinda hard to run when the other team knows where and when you are going to run.

I think Zorn is going to mix things up more and also try to get Portis more involved in the passing game.

Jason

Archived