Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatist first impression as a redskin

djbubba4life

Over the years as being a redskin fan, when new players come in and join the team, its hard to pick a guy thats going to stand out from one another, but there are some guys that just make one play. and your like 'damn. hes going to be a star for us.' I have some in mind and i have the examples from youtube if you scroll down just a bit, but i want to know what you guys think, Tell me a play that impressed you and even better get an example from youtube OR just tell me why one of my examples are one of your favs. Just thought it would be an intresting topic. Hail:helmet:

Some examples

Laron Landry, First pre season game.

Clinton Portis first carry against Tampa.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f3IRlGF0w7I

Santana's two TD's in the final minutes of Monday Night

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=14779438

Sean Taylor's rookie season period.

Im sure you guys have many more in your head so lets disscuss.

How about we start with 'real' redskins.

D Greens first preseason game - kick return for td

D greens first real game - running down tony dorsett to save a td

I had those in mind too. but i only put some stuff up i could find on youtube you know just for a better presentation.

I'd go with Riggo's first impression on Joe Gibbs, answering the door at 10AM with a beer in his hand.

On the field, JC's first regular season pass if only it hadn't been intended for Lloyd, it was perfectly thrown and we had them by surprise. It's the only time I ever remember us opening a game with a deep pass too.

I wasn't surprised about Moss' performance, as I hated him when he was at the U(where he broke Michael Irvin's records, IIRC) but wanted us to draft him and when we didn't, and I felt that the Jets didn't put him in proper position to succeed. Honestly, I had always wished he'd somehow make it to the Redskins. The two suprises for me were CP and especially ST.

I was worried that Portis wouldn't work out over here, seeing as how he was a small/slasher and Joe Gibbs runs a power running game. First regular season play, CP runs 60 or something yards for six. Awesome first impression(although he did "struggle" that year, while still putting up 1300 yards rushing). Next year, he totally changes his style of running, and plays excellent football, leading the Redskins to the playoffs.

Second was Sean Taylor. At the time he was drafted, I had stopped watching college football for a couple years, so I had no idea who he was. But Safety was(and is) my favorite position on D, and maybe both O and D. He was picked 5th and I wasn't disappointed, but really surprised to see a safety to go that high. The analysts barely talked about the pick before it was all about the Manning-Rivers deal.

I saw that his jersey # was 36, which happened to also be my fav. #. HOF game comes, and the very first time he steps onto the football field, the guy gets two picks, and one returned for six. I had never seen a player be so big yet so athletic. From that moment on, he became my favorite Redskin and I knew he was going to be something special. Its too bad we wont get to see him at age 40, being elected into the HOF. RIP ST

I always loved the Clinton Portis play.

I must've been in 8th grade, but I remember that coming into the 2004 season there was alot of doubt whether Portis was worth Champ and the 2nd rounder we gave up.

That play for me is probably one of my favorite memories.

That's the mosy vivid "first impression" in my memory. Not a lot of players score on a long TD the first time they touch the ball for their new team.

How about we start with 'real' redskins.

D Greens first preseason game - kick return for td

D greens first real game - running down tony dorsett to save a td

:rolleyes:

sorry bro', I didn't realize current players don't count as "real" Redskins. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to the HOF ceremony to honor Art and Darrell, but how am I supposed to remember their first memorable play as Redskins? I remember watching games, getting autographs, and collecting cards as a kid, but I didn't know the difference regarding what was going to pan out as memorable plays for 80's something Redskins players. Give the younger crowd (including the young 30's guys) a break would ya? ;) My dad wasn't a sports fan, so my grandpa and I would always watch the games at his house from time to time. I'm living my Redskins childhood now baby :D Lord knows I couldn't live it for most of the 90's or early 00's :doh: Most memorable moment from that time was Lavar putting Aikman out and Gus banging his head up against a wall and how stoked I was about Ramsey and Westbrook....woops...oh and how much money Snyder waisted when he got ahold of this team but then gained a lot of it back when I became a ticket holder. BTW, put the ****ing Skins back in DC gotdamnit. Rant over :)

For me, Sean Taylor's rookie year, as far as a "wow this guys insanely good and something special" kind of reaction, was the the greatest first impression of a first year new Redskin. Actually I felt that way about Champ and Lavar though too. :2cents:

If it's regular season only. Here are a few that came to mind.

Patrick Ramsey looked like a savior when he came off the bench and lit up the Titans in 2002.

As has been mentioned, Clinton Portis 2004. How can you top a 64 yard td run on your first carry ever as a Skin? But also he had some nice tough runs that really grinded the clock down late in the game leaving Tampa with little time for their final drive.

Kelvin Bryant 1986. Two TDs. One rushing and one receiving. Such a great talent he just never could stay healthy.

Charlie Brown 1982. 5 rec 98 yds and 2 TDs

With guys like Sean, LaRon, Santana, and Clinton all being mentioned, I'm gonna go ahead and say that London Fletcher gave a great first impression.

That first game with Miami, you saw how different our defensive unit was from '06. The guy, at age 32, had our defense lined up perfectly and was FLYING everywhere. At half time? Fires up the troops and lights a fire underneath them after they gave up a last second touchdown before the end of the 1st half.

After that game, I knew we had made a great great decision in bringing him in.

:rolleyes:

sorry bro', I didn't realize current players don't count as "real" Redskins. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to the HOF ceremony to honor Art and Darrell, but how am I supposed to remember their first memorable play as Redskins? I remember watching games, getting autographs, and collecting cards as a kid, but I didn't know the difference regarding what was going to pan out as memorable plays for 80's something Redskins players. Give the younger crowd (including the young 30's guys) a break would ya? ;) My dad wasn't a sports fan, so my grandpa and I would always watch the games at his house from time to time. I'm living my Redskins childhood now baby :D Lord knows I couldn't live it for most of the 90's or early 00's :doh: Most memorable moment from that time was Lavar putting Aikman out and Gus banging his head up against a wall and how stoked I was about Ramsey and Westbrook....woops...oh and how much money Snyder waisted when he got ahold of this team but then gained a lot of it back when I became a ticket holder. BTW, put the ****ing Skins back in DC gotdamnit. Rant over :)

For me, Sean Taylor's rookie year, as far as a "wow this guys insanely good and something special" kind of reaction, was the the greatest first impression of a first year new Redskin. Actually I felt that way about Champ and Lavar though too. :2cents:

:laugh:

No I just think it's funny most posts are about "current" Redskins who based on recent history might not even be remembered in 15 years. ;)

How about Jay Schroeder. :silly:

:laugh:

No I just think it's funny most posts are about "current" Redskins who based on recent history might not even be remembered in 15 years. ;)

How about Jay Schroeder. :silly:

Darnit! My frickin time machine is broken again. Sorry we're so stupid, only sharing memories that we actually remember.

:mad:

1. B Mitch returning a kickoff against the Falcons was something great.

2. Bruce Smith had 3 sacks and was a terror against the Panthers in his first game as a Redskin against the Panthers in 2000

3. Doug Williams replacing injured Jay Schroeder and rallying us to beat the Eagles.

I'll limit the scope to recent history and say Portis's TD run. It was even more amazing because not only was it his first carry, but it was Gibbs's first regular season coming back as head coach. Everyone was so pumped for both of them, and with that first carry (second play of the game, I believe) everyone thought we were in for great things that year.

Archived