Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatist first impression as a redskin

djbubba4life

I do remember D Green's incredible "run-down" but the first impression that came to mind immediately was Timmy Smith. I had never heard of the guy before SBXXII and he comes out and rushes for 204 yards on 22 carries. Of course, we never heard much more from him, but I thought "Wow, this guy's going to be awesome." Unfortunately, it was only going to be for that one game.

Not a player, but i remember back when Spurrier was hired. In our first preseason game, i think it was in japan, we won by enough that we were accused of running up the score. I remember thinking we had something good that year.....man was i wrong

Desmond Howard... okay, he didn't have a lot of great moments with us, but I think it was his first game here. They set up a kick return, the returner catches it and then laterals it to Howard who weaves his way through traffic 80 yards for a TD. I remember thinkning he was going to be special.

It was his 2nd season and he had already made some great plays prior to then but to me, my "ST has arrived" moment was during the MNF "Miracle at Midnight when he totally took patrick crayton's face off to save the first down and keep the cowboys from being able to kick a g.w. FG. When that happened, I went nuts. AND he really caused a fumble, even though the refs ruled it an incomplete pass. If ST doesn't make that hit, we lose another heartbreaker. Period. We likely have another season living in skin misery. Even if the rest of the season went the way it did, I doubt if we could've gotten in the playoffs at 9-7.

That was the one I was going to say.....simply amazing.

That may be the best defensive play in Redskin's history. At the time, what he did was unfathomable.

As I did not see that play, as I was 3 years old, I would have to say that best 1st impression was Portis takin' it to the house against Tampa in his opening reg season game. I happened to be at that game, and I remember thinking to myself right before they lined up, "Here we go, let's see what this guy Portis can --Holy SH*T!..........Go!.........GO!............GOOOOOOOOO!!!! WOOHOOOO!!!!"

He answered my question before I got finished asking it

It was his 2nd season and he had already made some great plays prior to then but to me, my "ST has arrived" moment was during the MNF "Miracle at Midnight when he totally took patrick crayton's face off to save the first down and keep the cowboys from being able to kick a g.w. FG. When that happened, I went nuts. AND he really caused a fumble, even though the refs ruled it an incomplete pass. If ST doesn't make that hit, we lose another heartbreaker. Period. We likely have another season living in skin misery. Even if the rest of the season went the way it did, I doubt if we could've gotten in the playoffs at 9-7.

True that.

A lot of people forget that. Moss (and, yes, Boonell) got us the points, but ST sealed that victory. I was dying of nerves before that play, because they EASILY could have made it into FG range with the time they had left on the clock. That hit was the best ST hit I have ever seen. I forget who came up with the clutch 4th down tackle on that drive also, I think it was Washington? Without the 05 defense, we lose that game 16-14

:rolleyes:

sorry bro', I didn't realize current players don't count as "real" Redskins. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to the HOF ceremony to honor Art and Darrell, but how am I supposed to remember their first memorable play as Redskins? I remember watching games, getting autographs, and collecting cards as a kid, but I didn't know the difference regarding what was going to pan out as memorable plays for 80's something Redskins players. Give the younger crowd (including the young 30's guys) a break would ya? ;) My dad wasn't a sports fan, so my grandpa and I would always watch the games at his house from time to time. I'm living my Redskins childhood now baby :D Lord knows I couldn't live it for most of the 90's or early 00's :doh: Most memorable moment from that time was Lavar putting Aikman out and Gus banging his head up against a wall and how stoked I was about Ramsey and Westbrook....woops...oh and how much money Snyder waisted when he got ahold of this team but then gained a lot of it back when I became a ticket holder. BTW, put the ****ing Skins back in DC gotdamnit. Rant over :)

For me, Sean Taylor's rookie year, as far as a "wow this guys insanely good and something special" kind of reaction, was the the greatest first impression of a first year new Redskin. Actually I felt that way about Champ and Lavar though too. :2cents:

I hear you on the memories part. I am just a little older than you are and it is hard to place debuts of players. Especially since I wasn't even old enough to remember Riggos debut or players like that. One player I do remember making an impression was when Jay Schroeder came into relieve Joe Theismann. I thought we were going to lose that game and Jay came in and won it. How about the opener at Jack Kent Cooke Stadium? That was pretty cool when Westbrook caught that 40 yard bomb from Frerotte. I thought that was a pretty good memory. The first cowboys game was great as well. Monday nigth and they beat them pretty down.

I do remember players like Ricky Ervins have a pretty good impact as well as players like Reggie Brooks. I like Wilbur Marshall when he came here as well. He always seemed to make play all the time. Wilbur Marshall was extremely underrated as a player.

In 1943, Sammy Baugh etched his name in stone with an accomplishment unheard of in today's specialized game: Baugh led the league in passing (133-239, 1754 yards and 23 touchdowns), punting (50 for 2,295 yards; a 45.9 yard average) and interceptions (11 for 112 yards). :cheers:

Archived