Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants extend Guard Snee

scyber

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/06/breaking_news_giants_extend_sn.html

The Giants and right guard Chris Snee have agreed in principle to a six-year contract extension that will keep one of the NFL's best young linemen in blue through the 2014 season, according to someone familiar with the progress of negotiations. The person, who requested anonymity because the deal hasn't been signed and announced by the team, did not provide financial details but said Snee will now be among the top five highest-paid players at his position.

He is good but is he really worth being paid top five for his position?

Its a valid question. I'm sure most giants fans would immediately say "yes". He is a very good player and he is young, so locking him up for the next 6 years is a good move. At that price it is slightly questionable, but as long as the contract is structured correctly, it can be managed. 2 other things to consider about this move:

1) With the way the salary cap increasing, top 5 in 2008 is only top 10 in 09, and perhaps not even top 15 in 2010.

2) The giants O-line is now completely signed through the 2011 season. That is 4 more seasons of continuity (assuming no injuries). O-line continuity is big.

I like him a lot, even would like him as a Redskin...... but top 5?!

He is a powerhouse road grater. The Giants run behind him a lot because there are not too many DT's he can't overpower. Not to mention the fact that he already has 5 years experience playing and is only 26 years old.

To put it plain and simple:

He is a BEAST!!!!

Yes, he is top 5. And I'm not just saying that because he is a Giant. There isn't another lineman on the Giants I would come close to making this statement about. But Snee definitely deserves it.

Contract details:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/06/snees_contract_details_are_in.html

Here are the details of the new six-year extension for Giants G Chris Snee, according to his agent, Noel LaMontagne of EAS Sports:

*Total value of $41.25 million without escalators. With escalators, the max value of the deal is $43.5 million.

*$13.5-million signing bonus.

*Base salary average of $6.875 million.

*$17 million guaranteed.

*$23 million in the first three years of the contract.

']He is a powerhouse road grater. The Giants run behind him a lot because there are not too many DT's he can't overpower. Not to mention the fact that he already has 5 years experience playing and is only 26 years old.

He is a BEAST!!!!

Yes' date=' he is top 5. And I'm not just saying that because he is a Giant. There isn't another lineman on the Giants I would come close to making this statement about. But Snee definitely deserves it.[/quote']

absolutly agree!!!:applause:

He is a 5 year vet that has started 59 of 59 games in the NFL, and a Boston College lineman (it seems that BC puts out GREAT lineman every stinking year)....that and the fact that he is a beast is most definitly the reason he deserves it! And rightfully so that he is earning top 5 @ his position money........:2cents:

']He is a powerhouse road grater. The Giants run behind him a lot because there are not too many DT's he can't overpower. Not to mention the fact that he already has 5 years experience playing and is only 26 years old.

He is a BEAST!!!!

Yes' date=' he is top 5. And I'm not just saying that because he is a Giant. There isn't another lineman on the Giants I would come close to making this statement about. But Snee definitely deserves it.[/quote']

If he's not top 5, then he's not far behind. I don't think he's a dominant gaurd like a Shawn Andrews or Leonard Davis who outweigh him by 40 or so pounds, but his mobility and toughness make up for it in spades. He's more like a street brawler.

It was a move that needed to be done.

Archived