Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dr. Z pick Viks to win it all...come on!

smokinskinsfan

Dr.Z is going for shock value here and nothing else. If his life depended on it he'd go with the Pats. Dr.Z is a MOron btw.

Shock value would be the Falcons.

This isn't shock value. They are a pretty well-rounded team, in a division that would appear to be weaker this year without Favre.

If a qb can step up for them like Collins did for us.....this isn't that crazy.

If the Vikings win it all this year it will be as a carbon copy of how the Ravens won; all defense, no QB mistakes and run the football.

Tavaris Jackson is really a CFL QB playing in the NFL. Behind him you have the awesome cadre of soon to be 37 year old Frerotte, Brooks Bollinger, and two rookies in Booty and Wright. I don't see any of these QB's running a WCO to the point of perfection needed for this to happen in 2008-09.

im hating the hype the Vikings are getting to win it. Unless proven otherwise, they do not seem to have that x-factor it will take to win games overall.

Their great defensive line full of the Williams up the middle did nothing to stop our rushing game. Our passing game was even better with Collins passing for 254 yards. This is a team that was more healthy and able to play than ours was. Their o-line is overall better, their RB's are better, and their defense is supposedly better.

Their defense always gets hype, and doesn't end up doing much, regardless of who they draft/bring in. Their offense is always a click away, and never works. Hutchinson was supposed to help them cross the threshhold...he didn't. Peterson should have a great season behind that o-line. Allen could very easily flame out as he could boom.

Everyone's beating the dead horse about Jackson, Berrian is also very overrated as a wide receiver. He's a good deep threat, but dropped and quit on a lot of passes last year. I'm also not sold on Childress as a head coach. Has he seriously done anything to earn it? Peterson was also held to 144 yards in the last 4 games of the year. Everyone will zero in on him this year. Green Bay will still win that division, despite Brett Favre retiring.

Since when do the Vikings have a great defense?

They ranked 20th in yardage, 15th in yards per play. The only thing they excelled at is stopping the run. They ranked #8 in sacks, but it wasn't because of their defensive line.

im hating the hype the Vikings are getting to win it. Unless proven otherwise, they do not seem to have that x-factor it will take to win games overall.

Their great defensive line full of the Williams up the middle did nothing to stop our rushing game. [...] and their defense is supposedly better.

Their defense always gets hype, and doesn't end up doing much, regardless of who they draft/bring in.

I really don't get the hype about their defense. Their defense sucks. Their defensive line is average, but not that great. I have problems with our defense also, but I'd take the 2007 Redskins over the 2007 Vikings any day.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: The Vikings?!

I'll say this again ... The Vikings?!

While I believe in the ideal of "Any Given Sunday" picking the Vikings to win over a legit contender like the Patriots, Colts, or Chargers is simply absurd to me. :doh:

Some more food for thought.

SACKS			
RANK	TEAM	RANK	TOTAL	DL	%
2	TB	16	32.0	29.0	90.6%
5	TEN	7	40.0	36.0	90.0%
7	NYG	1	52.0	39.5	76.0%
8	WAS	16	33.0	22.0	66.7%
10	PHI	9	35.0	30.0	85.7%
11	GB	13	36.0	31.5	87.5%
12	JAC	9	36.0	28.5	79.2%
13	KC	9	37.0	28.5	77.0%
15	SEA	4	45.0	29.5	65.6%
17	ARI	13	36.0	19.0	52.8%
20	MIN	8	36.0	26.5	73.6%
28	CHI	6	40.0	28.0	70.0%
32	DET	9	37.0	28.5	77.0%

This is a limited sample size as I only took 4-3 teams that ranked in the Top 16 for sacks (just so I could include the Washington Redskins - #16), but I'll probably follow up on this more in depth at a later time. There seems to be a pretty distinct trend with the biggest outliers being the Giants, Redskins, and the Lions.

There really shouldn't be a need to explain why the Giants are outliers, so it's pretty much just the Redskins and Lions who are anomalies.

Its not that far fetched. The have a great D and the best Running back in the game.

That "great" defense was tops in the league against the run, but it was in the bottom tier against the pass. While Allen will improve their pass defense simply because of the pressure he can cause, the personnel they have back there are pretty average. They're depending on Cedric Griffin and Antonie Winfield (not a very imposing combo) Madieu Williams who was part of a pathetic Bengals defense, and an aging Darren Sharper. Even with an improved pass rush, I don't find this secondary to be very impressive.

Adrian Peterson had an outstanding rookie season, but keep in mind that he's only in his 2nd year, he still has injury concerns that will rear its ugly head again and again, and he's depending on the best left side in football. If McKinnie or Hutchinson go down, Peterson's production will drop significantly. PLus not too long ago, there was another rookie phenom running back by the name of Cadillac Williams. Nuff said. Judging from history, I believe Peterson could be a great one, but I'm not anywhere close to crowning him as the best back in football. There are at least 3 other guys I would take before him.

I will say this, if Jared Allen pans out, the Vikings will have a great defense. I love that whoever's in charge of their personnel seems to have realized that their sack numbers were not reflective of just how little pressure their defensive line got, and put a premium on improving their line by picking up Jared Allen plus another DT in the draft, despite the hype they got about their "run defense".

But until now, their defense and defensive line have been highly overrated just because of their "ability to stop the run". This is not a situation of Jared Allen improving an already great line. It's more of Jared Allen possibly turning an average line into a great line and transforming a crappy defense into a good one.

I believe the Vikings will have success, but as for being Super Bowl champions... I don't know about that, as there are other teams that not only already have the defense that the Vikings are trying to create, but also have better offenses to go along with it. But hey, anything is possible.

Progression of Events that led me here:

1. Opened My Yahoo home page.

2. Eyes were immediately drawn to "DR. Z: Dare I pick Minnesota to win it all?"

3. I thought to myself... not with a very unproven T. Jackson at QB.

4. Exclaimed to myself.... "Is Dr. Z is on crack?".

5. Opened up a new tab and clicked favorites.

6. Selected extremeskins.com

7. Saw this thread so I clicked on it.

I'm definitely looking forward to see how the contrast in philosophies work out between the Washington Redskins and the Minnesota Vikings...

The Vikings did pick up Berrian to help Tarvaris Jackson out, but they also focused on getting a starting DE and additional depth on their defensive line...

The Redskins meanwhile chose to try and supply more weapons to Jason Campbell and chose to pick up additional depth for positions other than their defensive line (aside from 7th round pick Rob Jackson)...

The Vikings are this years "sexy" pick.

I saw a piece on NFL Live tonight and one of the round table questions was..

"Which would you rather have, The Vikings rusing game or the NE Pats passing attack?"

With all due respect to the Adrian Peterson, that's not even a fair question.

If I remember correctly, we kicked their ass last year to make the playoffs and keep them out. Right?

Archived