Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dr. Z pick Viks to win it all...come on!

smokinskinsfan

The Vikes definitely should be considered a contender. So should any of the other NFC East teams. Also, you never know if some of the 2006 playoff teams like the Bears or Saints rebound from last season. Finally, Dr. Z does make a good point about all of these Cowboys superbowl predictions.

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of all of the hoopla going on at the Valley Ranch. We have players going around talking in terms of "well, we got to get over the hurdle", as if the 2008 season and NFC East crown has already been won. I think it's a dangerous place for a team to be in. A lot of things could just as easily go wrong.

And, I'll say it again, people are writing off the Giants. Now they have lost a couple of key players, but that team showed heart and still have the core of that team, including their coaching staff. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them repeat.

I'm definitely looking forward to see how the contrast in philosophies work out between the Washington Redskins and the Minnesota Vikings...

The Vikings did pick up Berrian to help Tarvaris Jackson out, but they also focused on getting a starting DE and additional depth on their defensive line...

The Redskins meanwhile chose to try and supply more weapons to Jason Campbell and chose to pick up additional depth for positions other than their defensive line (aside from 7th round pick Rob Jackson)...

The mindsets of the Redskins FO and the Vikings FO were night and day when it came to this offseason. The Vikings obviously believe they have a team that can win with a strong defense and a servicable offense, so they basically mortgaged their future by getting Jared Allen, who was a great acqusition but they paid so much for him. Reason being? With Favre gone and the Bears in a state of disarray, the Vikings know this is their golden opportunity to win this year, which is why they decided to go all in.

While the acquistion of Allen may be considered smart, I don't really like the acqusition of Berrian. To me, Berrian isn't a receiver that's a much bigger upgrade than any of the rookies that could've come in. He's got some speed and experience, but he's way too inconsitent with catching, which is not something you want for a young developing QB like Jackson who hasn't really shown alot of promise. Plus the money they spent on him? That was a lousy signing IMO.

The Redskins have done something that we have been kicking and screaming for for years, not mortgaging our future with a win now approach and use our draft picks. They did this, and addressed our biggest weakness, which has been offense.

Our overall rankings last season:

Offense: 15th in the league

Defense: 8th in the league

What was our biggest, most glaring problem last year? It wasn't pressure, it was our lack of depth at receiver and our lack of production in the red zone. Often times, it was because of inefficiency on offense that caused our defense to stay on the field longer, thus giving the opposing team more opportunities to burn our unit. Keep in mind that it was because of our lack of depth on the receiving side that forced us to go bring in guys like Caldwell, McCardell, Farris, and Mix off the street. We didn't even score a TD with a receiver until the middle of the season. Personally, I believe this was the more critical position.

And it would seem like we've completely ignored the DE position, while we're not nearly as bad off as one would make it sound like. Carter and Daniels are the starters, with Buzbee, Wilson, Evans, and possibly even our rookie Jackson coming in on the rotation. Plus, we have a young former 1st rounder in Erasmus James that we got for next to nothing, and could pan out big in returns if he remains healthy. The Vikings adding depth? They paid out the *** for a new starting DE with the price for rushing DEs is on the rise. They paid out the *** for a mediocre receiver and a safety that was part of one of the most pathetic defensive units in the league. Meanwhile, we started the process of saving on our cap room by bringing in a couple of vets for next to nothing, and injected our roster big time with 10 shiny new rookies.

Personally, I like our approach alot more. :)

Personally, I like our approach alot more. :)

Just some thoughts in response to your post.

I don't really think they mortgaged their future for Jared Allen... Yes, they gave him a huge contract, but aside from that, they gave up a first rounder and two third round picks - pretty much what the Redskins gave up to move up and draft Jason Campbell. I agree with you about Berrian, but I'd also like to add that I think Tarvaris Jackson really, really blows. I don't ever see him developing into a quality quarterback.

As for the Redskins... If it works out, great. But I have a feeling the problem with the Redskins' offense was not the receivers, but mainly with either the coach or the quarterback. This is another philosophy I have that I plan to explore at a later time, but I seriously believe that wide receivers are a luxury for good quarterbacks, not a necessity. In recent years, several quality quarterbacks have functioned without wide receivers of note: Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers, Jay Cutler, David Garrard, Drew Brees, Matt Hasselbeck. McNabb and Brady didn't need TO and Randy Moss to become good quarterbacks. They did it with receivers such as James Thrash and Rache Caldwell.

As for Erasmus James being a former first rounder... Let's not forget that Mike Rumph was also a former first rounder who wasn't getting it done.

Though I don't agree with the Vikings' entire approach, I definitely prefer it to what the Redskins have done... But if I were a betting man, I would bet the Redskins are a better team next season (not necessarily record-wise since the Redskins are in the NFC East and the Vikings are in the NFC North), not due to their approach this offseason but due to their starting points.

Before their offseason moves, the Vikings had only one advantage over the Redskins, and that was their running game. The Redskins had the advantage in nearly every other category.

And for what it's worth, I'll just put it out there... I would rather have Jared Allen attacking the QB from opposite Andre Carter than Devin Thomas and Fred Davis (assuming Malcom Kelly still somehow falls to the Redskins).

With what QB? Tavaris Jackson? Please.

Yeah for some reason I associate at least decent QB play (not being a turnover factory) into winning championships. Tarvaris isn't there yet.

To be fair to the Vikes, though, the Giants were stealing signals when they destroyed them 41-0.

They also have terrible receivers, quarterbacks, and defensive backs.

Well, if adding Jared Allen allows them to have the best defensive line in the NFL, I have a feeling their defensive backs will suddenly look a lot more competent considering a third of the Vikings' sacks came from non-linemen (indicating blitzes that leave defensive backs on an island).

Just some thoughts in response to your post.

I don't really think they mortgaged their future for Jared Allen... Yes, they gave him a huge contract, but aside from that, they gave up a first rounder and two third round picks - pretty much what the Redskins gave up to move up and draft Jason Campbell. I agree with you about Berrian, but I'd also like to add that I think Tarvaris Jackson really, really blows. I don't ever see him developing into a quality quarterback.

As for the Redskins... If it works out, great. But I have a feeling the problem with the Redskins' offense was not the receivers, but mainly with either the coach or the quarterback. This is another philosophy I have that I plan to explore at a later time, but I seriously believe that wide receivers are a luxury for good quarterbacks, not a necessity. In recent years, several quality quarterbacks have functioned without wide receivers of note: Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers, Jay Cutler, David Garrard, Drew Brees, Matt Hasselbeck. McNabb and Brady didn't need TO and Randy Moss to become good quarterbacks. They did it with receivers such as James Thrash and Rache Caldwell.

As for Erasmus James being a former first rounder... Let's not forget that Mike Rumph was also a former first rounder who wasn't getting it done.

From the QBs you mentioned only Brady, McNabb, and Garrard are the ones who had to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Rivers has had Vincent Jackson, Keenan McCardell, Chris Chambers, and Craig Davis at receiver, not to mention Antonio Gates and LT as receiving threats. Cutler has had Brandon Marshall, who's emerged as a rising star in the league, plus he had Javon Walker and Brandon Stokley. Hasselbeck has had some qualitiy receivers in Koren Robinson, Deion Branch, Bobby Engram, and Darrell Jackson over the years, and Drew Brees had Joe Horn, Marques Colston, and Reggie Bush as receiving threats. None of the above are anything to laugh at.

Guys like McNabb and Brady are among the elite QBs that became good pretty quickly, which is not the norm in the NFL in terms of QBs. But I feel that it's incredibly important to surround your QB with quality receivers, especially if the QB is young and still developing in a new system. The above guys for the most part have had the luxary of developing in one system with no power struggle among the offensive coaching staff. I'm willing to give Jason the benefit of the doubt because he had to deal with this.

The reason why Brady and Manning are elite is because they're skilled enough to make their guys around them better. They can make chicken salad out of any chicken ****. I don't believe Jason will ever make that level, but I do believe he can be a QB of Hasselbeck's caliber. And for QBs like Hasselbeck, Roethilisberger, or even a guy like Brees and Rivers, it's important to give them as much talent as possible in order to succeed. Even Brady couldn't succeed when he had Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney as his two starting receivers. Look what happened though when he's handed Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Donte Stallworth on a platter. I truly believe a good receiver can make all the difference in the world for any QB.

Keep in mind also that the key difference between Rumph and James is that Rumph was terrible at CB and should've been a safety to begin with. When James was healthy in his rookie season, he was an absolute beast. The only thing that kept him from getting it down was his health. Rumph was 100% healthy, and just plain awful.

From the QBs you mentioned only Brady, McNabb, and Garrard are the ones who had to make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Huh? The list of wide receivers you've listed in your reply, umm.. Aren't that good.

Rivers has had Vincent Jackson, Keenan McCardell, Chris Chambers, and Craig Davis at receiver, not to mention Antonio Gates and LT as receiving threats.

Uhh...

2007 Vincent Jackson - 41 catches for 623 yards

2006 Vincent Jackson - 27 catches for 453 yards

2006 Keenan McCarell - 36 catches for 437 yards

2007 Chris Chambers - 35 catches for 555 yards

2007 Craig David - 20 catches for 188 yards

Antonio Gates and LT are nice, but Chris Cooley and Clinton Portis aren't too bad either. Santana Moss and Antawn Randle El all outperformed the Chargers' WR by a healthy margin.

Cutler has had Brandon Marshall, who's emerged as a rising star in the league, plus he had Javon Walker and Brandon Stokley.

Javon Walker was injured most of last season and has very little to do with Jay Cutler's succes. Brandon Stokley sucks, his only good year being Peyton Manning's record breaking season.

Hasselbeck has had some qualitiy receivers in Koren Robinson, Deion Branch, Bobby Engram, and Darrell Jackson over the years, and Drew Brees had Joe Horn, Marques Colston, and Reggie Bush as receiving threats. None of the above are anything to laugh at.

Koren Robinson had one good season with the Seahawks in 2002, the only time he had over 1000 yrds. Deion Branch had one good season and a Super Bowl with Tom Brady and has never gone over 1000 yards. Bobby Engram had one good season with the Seahawks last year, his first time going over 1000 yards. Darrell Jackson, the best receiver out of the bunch, had his best years in 2003 and 2004 with Hasselbeck and sucked balls with the 49ers last year.

Joe Horn was average in his final years with the Saints when Drew Brees arrived.

Guys like McNabb and Brady are among the elite QBs that became good pretty quickly, which is not the norm in the NFL in terms of QBs. But I feel that it's incredibly important to surround your QB with quality receivers, especially if the QB is young and still developing in a new system. The above guys for the most part have had the luxary of developing in one system with no power struggle among the offensive coaching staff. I'm willing to give Jason the benefit of the doubt because he had to deal with this.

I really don't see how any of the teams you listed (Seahawks, Saints, Chargers, Broncos) have luxuries that the Redskins don't have. Antawn Randle El is comparable to almost every single wide receiver you listed, and Santana Moss is not so shabby himself. Then you figure in Chris Cooley and Clinton Portis...

The reason why Brady and Manning are elite is because they're skilled enough to make their guys around them better. They can make chicken salad out of any chicken ****. I don't believe Jason will ever make that level, but I do believe he can be a QB of Hasselbeck's caliber. And for QBs like Hasselbeck, Roethilisberger, or even a guy like Brees and Rivers, it's important to give them as much talent as possible in order to succeed. Even Brady couldn't succeed when he had Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney as his two starting receivers. Look what happened though when he's handed Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Donte Stallworth on a platter. I truly believe a good receiver can make all the difference in the world for any QB.

I still fail to see how Hasselbeck, Roethlisberger, Brees, and Rivers have luxuries that Jason Campell doesn't. Good quarterbacks don't need good receivers to play well.

The year Tom Brady had Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney as his top two receivers, he threw for 24 TD and 12 INT and had a QB rating of 87.9. The year prior, when his top two WR were Deion Branch (who is being overrated due to the one good year he had with Tom Brady and his Super Bowl MVP) and David Givens, Tom Brady threw for 26 TD and 14 INT and a 92.3 QB rating. I wouldn't exactly call that "couldn't succeed".

• 6 months later...
I'm definitely looking forward to see how the contrast in philosophies work out between the Washington Redskins and the Minnesota Vikings...

The Vikings did pick up Berrian to help Tarvaris Jackson out, but they also focused on getting a starting DE and additional depth on their defensive line...

The Redskins meanwhile chose to try and supply more weapons to Jason Campbell and chose to pick up additional depth for positions other than their defensive line (aside from 7th round pick Rob Jackson)...

Damn it.

Archived