Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More controversy at Obama's Church

WVUforREDSKINS

Who wins this matchup?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup?

• Heidenreich (Johansson, Shakira, Maran)
    • skinsfan07 (Fox, Sims, Nordegren)

Which proves a point if you genuinely feel something is wrong you walk away and not just sit there, whiches raises the question why he is it now that he is denouncing these men?
And that's where the questions are originating that I was talking about.

When I sit there and just look at the big picture of it all, I'm just like "something just isn't right with this."

You ever walked out, or had words with the one preaching if you felt they were preaching something that was not biblical?

Not really. I was baptized and confirmed Catholic, and I had some difference of opinions of that church. I'd feel comfortable going back to one, though. Currently my family attends one of those Christian non-denominational multicultural churches with a band up front and people don't ever dress up. The only politics that ever got mentioned, was when the (white) Pastor spoke for 5 minutes about how profound a statement it was that a candidate with such a diverse ethnic background had a legitimate shot at the highest office in the land. It wasn't an endorsement, and I can't remember the context of his statement. I would have felt much less comfortable with an actual endorsement, at least he didn't go there (even if it was for my guy).

My wife teaches a Sunday school class once a month to preschoolers, and I help her. Those kids are bright, and easily influenced. I make sure to wear my Skins gear those days. :laugh:

My wife teaches a Sunday school class once a month to preschoolers, and I help her. Those kids are bright, and easily influenced. I make sure to wear my Skins gear those days. :laugh:

Good to see you're doing your part :silly: :point2sky

Not really. I was baptized and confirmed Catholic, and I had some difference of opinions of that church. I'd feel comfortable going back to one, though. Currently my family attends one of those Christian non-denominational multicultural churches with a band up front and people don't ever dress up. The only politics that ever got mentioned, was when the (white) Pastor spoke for 5 minutes about how profound a statement it was that a candidate with such a diverse ethnic background had a legitimate shot at the highest office in the land. It wasn't an endorsement, and I can't remember the context of his statement. I would have felt much less comfortable with an actual endorsement, at least he didn't go there (even if it was for my guy).

The thing is a lot of people go into churches are easily influenced, and that is why wether on the right or left it is dangerous what is being preached in some churches.

If any person denounces another's teaching by using the bible i totally respect that, for instance throughout all this if Obama for instance had said what these men said is not right and does not jive with what is said in Acts for instance about God not being partial, then i could respect that. He seems to be upset not with their message but by how people are eracting, if these hate filled sermons were getting a positive reaction would he be upset then?

Which proves a point if you genuinely feel something is wrong you walk away and not just sit there, whiches raises the question why he is it now that he is denouncing these men?

Pfagel is a Catholic priest at St. Sabina Roman Catholic Church and was a guest speaker, unlike Wright who was a reverend at Trinity.

Pfagel is a Catholic priest at St. Sabina Roman Catholic Church and was a guest speaker, unlike Wright who was a reverend at Trinity.

Was he not one of spiritual advisors even with his endorsement on his website?

The thing is a lot of people go into churches are easily influenced, and that is why wether on the right or left it is dangerous what is being preached in some churches.

If any person denounces another's teaching by using the bible i totally respect that, for instance throughout all this if Obama for instance had said what these men said is not right and does not jive with what is said in Acts for instance about God not being partial, then i could respect that. He seems to be upset not with their message but by how people are eracting, if these hate filled sermons were getting a positive reaction would he be upset then?

Barack Obama is not a reverend. I wouldn't expect him to chastise anyone with scripture. He does use scripture when he speaks ("I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper..."). Only speaking for myself, but when someone (ex. my sister-in-law) starts chastising me with Biblical verses it's incredibly annoying.

Not sure I understand how a hate-filled sermon would get a positive response. :whoknows:

Barack Obama is not a reverend. I wouldn't expect him to chastise anyone with scripture. He does use scripture when he speaks ("I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper..."). Only speaking for myself, but when someone (ex. my sister-in-law) starts chastising me with Biblical verses it's incredibly annoying.

Not sure I understand how a hate-filled sermon would get a positive response. :whoknows:

The audience seemed to enjoy it

Of course at the end of they i think this guy is more of a problem for the church then Obama

Why should churches not be involved in politics? It is the peoples' right to organize for political action, and the people that attend churches are no different. Many churches are political, some subtle and some not so subtle. I may not like what they have to say, but I'm not going to criticize them for acting (except for the Westboro Baptist Church, who are obscenely disrespectful)--I'll simply criticize the message they are trying to promote.

Why doesnt he just pick another church? Im sure there are other churches that wont throw him under the bus at every opportunity.

Probably because as he said he is drawn to that chuch.

This priest has been on the radar prior to this, you can find articles on him for a while now, he and Farrakhan seem close.

Why should churches not be involved in politics? It is the peoples' right to organize for political action, and the people that attend churches are no different. Many churches are political, some subtle and some not so subtle. I may not like what they have to say, but I'm not going to criticize them for acting (except for the Westboro Baptist Church, who are obscenely disrespectful)--I'll simply criticize the message they are trying to promote.

I totally agree with this.

I dont blame the people at Trinity for doing what they are doing. They KNOW they have the entire nation's attention now, and they are taking advantage of that. They just arent being smart about it.

I totally agree with this.

I dont blame the people at Trinity for doing what they are doing. They KNOW they have the entire nation's attention now, and they are taking advantage of that. They just arent being smart about it.

because we don't live in a theocracy, like Iran. because the first amendment provides for separation of church and state. because we want people of all religions to be comfortable being involved in politics. Because we don't believe that religious values have much to do with who protects your national security, or who is going to provide for the welfare of the american people.

to the first part about many churches being political... if they are, they should lose their tax-exempt status.

He just preaches at that church, but isnt a part of it?

well, from what i've gathered, he gave a "guest" speech at the church. he's a catholic priest, who has never spoken there before, and Obama is not even catholic.

Why do these candidates feel the need to have a pastor on their shoulder during these Presidential campaigns? Has this been common practice in the past? I don't remember Clinton, Gore, Bush, or anyone else being seen with a pastor during their campaigns. It just doesn't seem logical for a candidate to be associated with a church when religion usually just breeds hatred, bigotry, and negativity.

Thats because you don't watch enough Tv.

One thing about my people on a whole is that they do have a religious foundation. Back in the day the way to organize was(still is) thru the black church.

Gore and Kerry were blasted during both elections, for ignoring blacks but showed up in the waning moments in black churches.

Democrat focus groups believe one of the reasons they lost the 06 election because they were perceived as bashers of those who embrace religion and incidents like liberals attacking the Christ part of christmas back then didn't help.

Probably because Christian churches should be following Christ's example.

In all the readings of Jesus where do we see him getting involved with the political zealots of his day

Archived