Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More controversy at Obama's Church

WVUforREDSKINS

Who wins this matchup?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup?

• Heidenreich (Johansson, Shakira, Maran)
    • skinsfan07 (Fox, Sims, Nordegren)

Who came out a year ago touting his relationship to Jeremiah Wright and the United Church of Christ in Chicago?

Barack Obama.

The media didn't ask. He offered it up.

BigMike is right.

Obama is the one who came out, on his own, and presented these things to the public in hopes of gathering support.

He's the one who was proud to call Wright his spiritual advisor and mentor.

He was the one who was proud to base his book on a Jeremiah Wright sermon.

He was the one who sat in pews listening to Wright and others and still came back every Sunday for 20 years.

Any trouble that comes from Wright or these other people like Pfleger was brought on by his own actions.

Makes me at least re-examine Rev Wrights statement about Obama "saying what he has to say as politician."

Obama's best bet would be to just come clean and tell everyone he just attended church there out of politcal expediency and "that he's a phony-baloney Protestant" (got that quote from Democrat Mike Barnacle).

America needs to be careful that they don't get hoodwinked.

What book did Obama write that was based solely off of a Wright sermon?

The man's name is Barack Hussein Obama. E-mails have circulated accusing him of being Muslim, when he is in fact a Christian. I would've done the same thing, ie. give the American people some background on his faith in Christ. d

Obama has always been impressed by the way churches could organize people individually, but acknowledged that they could rarely unify together. Mostly because of infighting among reverends.

I'm reading a book about Obama, it talks about his desire to learn more about the black community, and also his choice of Christianity. I don't think that he chose it for the political reason you suggest. Then again, I don't make it a practice to go around judging people's religion and assuming what drives their religious beliefs, either.

I thought you only got linked to a pastor if you went to his church and listened to his sermons for 20 years? I thought 20 years was the magic number.

As much as people are RIGHTLY pointing out that these churches need to stop getting involved in politics, the same PEOPLE need to stop being concerned with this crap. All pastors have crazy politics... leave it be. :)

Had Obama been there, it would be good bye to the White House.

why would he had to been there for that one, it seems like vile has been spouted at this church for awhile, who knows what he has heard, sat through and agreed with over the years.

I thought you only got linked to a pastor if you went to his church and listened to his sermons for 20 years? I thought 20 years was the magic number.

As much as people are RIGHTLY pointing out that these churches need to stop getting involved in politics, the same PEOPLE need to stop being concerned with this crap. All pastors have crazy politics... leave it be. :)

I fully agree here but I would like to add that there is a time and place for politics. And every human has his political views but where you decide to speak upon them is what is important here.

Coffee shop where you and I are meeting for lunch = yes

pulpit in front of my children and other people who may not have discussed this with their family yet = no

you also need to think about the "liberties" he has taken in speaking about race and politics on a Sunday morning. Here I am going to CHURCH to listen to the word of God and refill my spiritual tanks when BANG, I am subjected to this racially motivated, politically driven sermon that has nothing to do with the Bible or God.

:2cents:

I fully agree here but I would like to add that there is a time and place for politics. And every human has his political views but where you decide to speak upon them is what is important here.

Coffee shop where you and I are meeting for lunch = yes

pulpit in front of my children and other people who may not have discussed this with their family yet = no

you also need to think about the "liberties" he has taken in speaking about race and politics on a Sunday morning. Here I am going to CHURCH to listen to the word of God and refill my spiritual tanks when BANG, I am subjected to this racially motivated, politically driven sermon that has nothing to do with the Bible or God.

:2cents:

BigMike and I find common ground. :puke:

:laugh:

What book did Obama write that was based solely off of a Wright sermon?
Was not The Audacity of Hope inspired by Rev Wright?

The man's name is Barack Hussein Obama. E-mails have circulated accusing him of being Muslim, when he is in fact a Christian. I would've done the same thing, ie. give the American people some background on his faith in Christ. d

Of course, I'm not questioning his motive for emphasizing his faith. I'm pretty sure we all know why he did it at this point.

Obama has always been impressed by the way churches could organize people individually, but acknowledged that they could rarely unify together. Mostly because of infighting among reverends.
Is that in the book?
I'm reading a book about Obama, it talks about his desire to learn more about the black community, and also his choice of Christianity. I don't think that he chose it for the political reason you suggest.
Didn't you just admit that you would?
Then again, I don't make it a practice to go around judging people's religion and assuming what drives their religious beliefs, either.
Careful there pal, I didn't. A Democrat (and Obama supporter from what I can tell) made the "phony-baloney" comment on MSNBC this morning.

Folks join churches (or SHOULD join churches) because they represent the majority of their beliefs. The purpose of a church is to encourage you, build you up, and help you mature in your faith. Obama chose this body of believers to fellowship and worship with, and has continued in this fellowship for 20 years.

No church is perfect, because certainly no believer is perfect.

However, given the congregations' reactions to this Priest(encouraging, clapping, cheering), and the things Rev. Wright has been "caught" preaching, I very much question Obama's decision to maintain fellowship with this congregation. Perhaps this does not reflect on Obama's beliefs (by everything he says to stand for, it shouldn't). If so, I'd really be interested in his logic of attending a church where racially spiteful language seems common place and even encouraged.

Certainly, if my pastor started saying anything approaching the things that Wright said or this guest priest was allowed (and by the congregations demeanor) encouraged to say, I would turn my back on the fellowship in a heartbeat.

To me, if Obama is authentic, he will break fellowship with these people.

Folks join churches (or SHOULD join churches) because they represent the majority of their beliefs. The purpose of a church is to encourage you, build you up, and help you mature in your faith. Obama chose this body of believers to fellowship and worship with, and has continued in this fellowship for 20 years.

Maybe this church does speak to what he really believes

Was not The Audacity of Hope inspired by Rev Wright?

The title, yes. An inspiring sermon, it was. But it's not like Obama heard the sermon and decided, "hey! Ya know what, let me write a book about this sermon!" Also, Wright plucked the words from Martin Luther King, Jr.

Of course, I'm not questioning his motive for emphasizing his faith. I'm pretty sure we all know why he did it at this point.

Then why frame it as a parade, instead of addressing something that people have made into an issue?

Is that in the book?

The book is Obama: From Promise to Power, authored by David Mendell, writer formerly at the Chicago Tribune

Didn't you just admit that you would?

Do you understand the difference between choosing a religion and discussing it?

Careful there pal, I didn't. A Democrat (and Obama supporter from what I can tell) made the "phony-baloney" comment on MSNBC this morning.

Didn't you claim that he went to a Christian church out of "political expediency"? Pal? :rolleyes:

When I first questioned Obama about his religious faith and ever-present Bible in October 2004, he seemed just a bit hesitant to answer. He told me that he referred to his Bible a "couple times a week." "It's a great book and contains a lot of wisdom," he said simply. When I pried further, he said he was drawn to Christianity because its main tenet of altruism and selflessness coincided with his own philosophies.

I fail to see the politics in that.

The title, yes. An inspiring sermon, it was. But it's not like Obama heard the sermon and decided, "hey! Ya know what, let me write a book about this sermon!" Also, Wright plucked the words from Martin Luther King, Jr.
Okay. I'll take you at your word.

Then why frame it as a parade, instead of addressing something that people have made into an issue?
I didn't. Your fellow Democrats are starting to.

Do you understand the difference between choosing a religion and discussing it?
Of course. But I don't see what that has to do with the price of tea in China.

Didn't you claim that he went to a Christian church out of "political expediency"? Pal? :rolleyes:
No. I claimed one of his supporters said it might be best for him and his party if he did admit that.

My point, and I think a lot of other people's as well, is that Obama is trying to have his cake and eat it too. And its recipe of his own making. So don't get all defensive on somebody when they are critical of him or want real answers that make sense.

A whole lot of America are asking "did he just sit there and not listen for 20 years, or does what comes out of that churches pulpit represent what Obama is really about?" Even Democrats I know who were staunch supporters are starting to ask it. People are wondering if he's a phony.

When Obama started lifting up his faith and relationships with that church to the media, he put himself in between a rock and hard place.:2cents:

Okay. I'll take you at your word.

(etc)

Seems like we've crossed communication lines here. All your statements are not directed at me, and all my statements are not directed at you.

(not directed at you specifically)

I've been a member of several churches in my lifetime, all filled with a community of people. I've disagreed with things said by priests and reverends, and other members. Being a member doesn't mean that I necessarily believe exactly what they all believe. Why people go to church, and what they get out of it, can vary tremendously. I respect that, even if I disagree with a Wright or a Hagee.

Seems like we've crossed communication lines here. All your statements are not directed at me, and all my statements are not directed at you.

(not directed at you specifically)

I've been a member of several churches in my lifetime, all filled with a community of people. I've disagreed with things said by priests and reverends, and other members. Being a member doesn't mean that I necessarily believe exactly what they all believe. Why people go to church, and what they get out of it, can vary tremendously. I respect that, even if I disagree with a Wright or a Hagee.

You ever walked out, or had words with the one preaching if you felt they were preaching something that was not biblical?

I wanna say that I like the way that ZGuy and TLC are debating and I want to take a lesson from it. Very nice and actively listening.

and DRSmith I have. I walked away from the Mormon religion because I felt they concentrated on money more then they cared about what was in your heart and your actions.

I wanna say that I like the way that ZGuy and TLC are debating and I want to take a lesson from it. Very nice and actively listening.

and DRSmith I have. I walked away from the Mormon religion because I felt they concentrated on money more then they cared about what was in your heart and your actions.

Good for you, BigMike. It's always encouraging to hear/see someone take action based on their convictions.

Very little purpose in having such convictions if you can't and/or don't live by them.

Good on ya! :cheers:

Which proves a point if you genuinely feel something is wrong you walk away and not just sit there, whiches raises the question why he is it now that he is denouncing these men?

Archived