Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bad News from the War

PCS

Posted this on another thread but thought maybe it deserved a thread of its own. Apparently Al-Jazeera TV has shown, within the last hour I believe, a video, described as gruesome by reporters who have seen it, of what appears to be 5 American POW's, (reportedly captured in a town south of Bagdhad. El Nasareea(sp). , including 1 woman and 5 dead American soldiers in a morgue. The video was approximately 10 mins. long. Pentagon officials are disturbed by this video which Fox shared with them. (Fox has made an editorial decision not to show the video). Pentagon officials have stated that it appears as though the 5 dead soldiers may have been executed. Shot in the head. The POW's are apparently being "interviewed". This is being reported right now. This could change, but that is what is going on right now. Suggest patience right now. Thoughts and prayers with them.

I heard the news, I have already said a prayer for them as I pray for the troops every day.

I hope we got those SOBs and get our guys back. They were stationed in Fort Bliss, Texas were I went to Basic Training.

The mission is starting to turn ugly after a good start with what happened yesterday in Camp Pennsylvania and now this.

The POW's could be members of the 507th maintenance. Following the main battle group advancing north. Quite possible leftover Iraqi forces may have come out and engaged the lighter armed maintenance company. This may explain how they were captured and unfortunately possibly executed.

I have access to Al- Jazeera on my satellite TV here in Rome, and trust me guys, you don't want to see these pictures. I dont think they're gonna show them on US TV. They only showed 5 of the 12 people from the 507th maintenence.

The American soldiers (though they were clearly not combat troops) seemed terrified. I fear for their lives, considering what happened to the others that they showed in the 'morgue'. :doh:

Originally posted by Park City Skins

The POW's could be members of the 507th maintenance. Following the main battle group advancing north. Quite possible leftover Iraqi forces may have come out and engaged the lighter armed maintenance company. This may explain how they were captured and unfortunately possibly executed.

Looks like this was their plan. Leave pockets of resistance hidden to catch us off guard. Nothing we can't handle but not the best news. Damn Turkey. That Armor sweeping down from the north sure would be nice right now. We also need those forward bases set up to keep the Apaches and other close air support near enough to call on quickly.

Originally posted by chiefhogskin48

I have access to Al- Jazeera on my satellite TV here in Rome, and trust me guys, you don't want to see these pictures. I dont think they're gonna show them on US TV. They only showed 5 of the 12 people from the 507th maintenence.

The American soldiers (though they were clearly not combat troops) seemed terrified. I fear for their lives, considering what happened to the others that they showed in the 'morgue'. :doh:

Also clearly part of their plan. They are trying to terrorize the American people with the images and thought of American soldiers tortured and brutaly killed.

Has anybody noticed that they are doing exactly as UBL said they should. Spreading out, digging in and trying to draw this out. UBL also said that we were weak and had no stomach for seeing dead Americans and that we would pack up and run. If this does not convince you that Al Quada and Iraq are planning and working together, I don't know what will.

Chief, I will certainly take your word for it. If you would be so kind though, if something comes across, or if there is anything else you saw that you feel up to sharing, please do. Mike, what you said is very true. And one of the reporters from Fox said as much. This video was meant for those against the war in the Arab and European areas and certainly directed at the citizens of the U.S. A wise man once said:

"I'm afraid we have awakened a sleeping giant and filled it with terrible resolve,"

I don't think this indicates anything other than that these are brutal b@stards we are dealing with (which we already knew and is part of why we are there). My only concern is that it seems the military strategy involves a 'measured approach', tailoring the amount of force we use so as not to alienate the general Iraqi population. I'm afraid thats flawed logic, and would be more comfortable with using max firepower (sticking with the 'Powell Doctrine') but I'm willing to wait and see what kind of hell and fury we unleash on the Republican Guard as we approach Bagdad. As for showing this video on TV, to a certain degree I think we ought to show what kind of savages we're dealing with. I watched them firing automatic weapons into the Tigris river hoping to kill a supposed downed pilot this morning, and I found THAT pretty shocking. On the other hand, I think to subject the loved ones of our troops to that kind of display is too harsh. I hope Al Jazeera takes a hammering for this....objective Arab news service huh? Yeah right. We need to kick some serious @ss now and get this unpleasantness done.

Agreed Tarhog. The families of those on the video are first and foremost on my mind. Airing that video would be harsh. Utah and I talked alot about the war and the strong possiblilty that something like this would happen was discussed. Sad and horrifying as it may be. Nature of the individual(s) that the U.S. is facing in that war right now. You are 100% correct in that this does show exactly what we are dealing with over there and one reason why we are there in the first place.

Three Questions:

1. What should be done with the scumbag who shot at and threw some grenades at commanding officers yesterday/last night?

2. How should we change, or should we change tactics now considering that Iraqi's are apparently faking surrenders and dressing in civilian clothes?

3. Considering the murder's of P.O.W.'s and likely torture, and/or humiliation of survivors, what changes should be made or should any be made in our tactics when it comes to a response to this?

I'm just interested in what you all have to say. I'm a bit too angry to think clearly, and I know decisions of this magnitude often should not be made when emotion clouds rational judgement, but some definite changes should be made, at least in terms of dealing with surrendering soldiers, and those dressed in civilian clothes.

Incidentally, It is probably too horrible, and too hurtful to show these poor murdered soldiers on tv via the scumbag al jazeera network (apologists-r-us for terrorists), but on the other hand I wonder if we should see it so all those candyarsed wussies across the bay (i live just outside Oakland, CA) and elsewhere actually see what regime, and what murderous terrorists and tyrants they are trying to keep in power. Very much in keeping with Japanese behavior during WWII, and German behavior during the battle of the bulge. Desperation lead the Germans to dress in American uniforms and murder P.O.W.'s, and of course the Japanese did it for sport, and out of a bizarre form of racial, and cultural disgust.

Should it be shown? I wouldn't want to see it. But I'm not positive about the answer to that question.

I have seen those pic's along with pics of the other live captured victims and I highly suggest you edit the pic's

This is no way for someone to see their loved ones who are unaware. I repeat get rid of these photos now. Show some respect!

I found the link to see the pics of our soldiers who were killed. They look like they were shot in the head execution style. I say we take off the kid gloves and start kicking some arse.

Here is the link. I didn't want to post the pics in case some are too sensitive. Look if you want. They are extremely graphic.

http://www.aljazeera.net/news/arabic/2003/3/3-23-23.htm

May God be with those who are currently being held.

Here is something that those of you who have served are familiar with!

Military Code of Conduct

I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

If I am captured, I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me, and will back them up in every way.

When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give only name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America

This is what the Iraqi's have been dealing with for years. This behavior is what Bush has been trying to warn everybody about all along. Do you really want barbarians like this to have weapons of mass destruction? What many people don't know is that under the Geneva Convention there is such a thing as "reprisal" that can be authorized by the President. Basically we can, because of the Iraqis actions, take a few of their prisoners out to field and give then a third eyeball in the middle of their foreheads. Hopefully, we have the stones to do just that.

Originally posted by Air Sarge

This is what the Iraqi's have been dealing with for years. This behavior is what Bush has been trying to warn everybody about all along. Do you really want barbarians like this to have weapons of mass destruction?

Amen Air Sarge, Amen! :thumbsup:

We should not take it out on the POWs we have though, those people surrendered to us because the are sick of Sadam and were promised humane treatment by President Bush.

Originally posted by Jagsbch

Posting those pics May be A direcT violation Geneiva convention. GET THEM OUT OF HERE...

The pics are not posted. The link is there for those who want to see. You look at your own risk. I believe all Americans should see the pics and judge for themselves if our boys were EXECUTED.

It is time to take off the kid gloves. We are fighting F'in animals. They should be treated like F'in animals. I have heard reports of them Fainting surrender to ambush our troops. Anyone in an army group who commits these acts should be slaughtered with no chance to surrender.

I am so pissed off after seeing those pics.

I think the release of these picture may underestimate the American people.

After 9-11, the inclination wasn't to give in, but rather to fight onward. Execution style killings and or torture isn't likely to scare the American people away. That may have been true 20 years ago, but right now, I think that's a public relations mistake on Iraq's side.

As of right now, it would seem their best hope is to wait things out allowing protests in the US and the rest of the world try to save them. They'll get far more support taking the high moral ground. Executing prisnors doesn't serve the interests of the government.

I wonder if this was a vigilanti type of situation. We have been targeting comand structures and communications. Could this be a case of a group of soldiers without leadership taking out frustration on the only available targets?

As for targeting the mechanics, that's similar to the strategy we're using. We're not going into the cities, but rather we're targeting the command and support of the Iraqi military.

Archived