Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Comcast HD question

renaissance

I have Comcast in DC and have been having tons of problems getting good HD reception and I'm not sure why....

My tv has a built in HD tuner so that's how I picked up channels in the past, but now that I have comcast HD I figured that would be better, plus I get more channels. However, not all of the channels come in clear. I use an HDMI cable (I also tried the component? cables and that made no difference). Anway, every day different HD channels comes in clear. The ones that don't work get really pixelated and flash green screens and have no sound - or sound comes in intermittently.

I'm wondering if this could be a weak signal? We currently have 4 tvs using cable, plus a modem, and we have to use 3 or 4 splitters throughout the apt. I have no idea why certain channels work on different days though. Of course ABC HD did not work Thursday so I had to watch regular Lost:(

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be? I want to avoid having to call comcast if possible

thanks!

Are you still using the over the air tuner with the comcast HD? I know that might be a dumb question, but are you?

Maybe the box is just bad? Have you tried with regular component cables?

Actually today would be a good day calling comcast since its a sunday. I dont know why people complain about Comcast, usually they are really nice about helping

Are you still using the over the air tuner with the comcast HD? I know that might be a dumb question, but are you?

Maybe the box is just bad? Have you tried with regular component cables?

Actually today would be a good day calling comcast since its a sunday. I dont know why people complain about Comcast, usually they are really nice about helping

I'm not sure about the tuner - it's built in to the tv and I have no idea if there's some kind of on/off feature.

The box is slow a lot of the time, but there's never a problem with any other channels, just the HD. Still, if this could be causing the problem I'll def ask comcast about that.

I know I should probably call today, but I like to save those kinds of things for wasting time at work if necessary:doh:

If it varies from channel to channel that is most likely normal. Just like every carrier (minus FioS) . . . the compression of the channels vary, so ESPN HD can look like **** while Discovery HD could look great (or vice versa). It can be really frustrating when an HD channel doesn't really look "HD" but hopefully things will get better.

If you can't find any channels that look good then maybe something is wrong with your settings/box.

If it varies from channel to channel that is most likely normal. Just like every carrier (minus FioS) . . . the compression of the channels vary, so ESPN HD can look like **** while Discovery HD could look great (or vice versa). It can be really frustrating when an HD channel doesn't really look "HD" but hopefully things will get better.

If you can't find any channels that look good then maybe something is wrong with your settings/box.

I guess the biggest mystery is why it varies channel to channel, day to day. Yesterday TNT HD worked but today it doesn't. And it's not just that they're not clear, they're not watchable at all

Hey Ren, it could be a number of things. be sure that you're HD isn't on zoom mode. On the remote, hit the key at the bottom right of the number pad to check that it isn't zoomed in. Also, check the settings of the box by hitting the guide (i think?) button twice. Be sure the video setting is HDMI.

Your problem is Comcast. They are the worst service I've ever had, period. Their customer service is non-existent - in fact, they usually treat you like garbage and blame YOU for their service not working. I could go into my whole long story, but suffice it to say that over the time I had it, I'd say my internet or tv was down a tremendous amount of the time. I had people come out and look at the reason why, they could never figure it out.

I finally switched to Verizon, the installation tech came out and spotted the issue IMMEDIATELY (yeah, Comcast doesn't give you enough signal strength to your house b/c it's a 'waste of money' for them). Since then, I haven't had a single issue and I now have my phone included and pay a good $40 less than when I had Comcast.

If you're not under contract, I suggest you leave. They're horrible. Oh, and you still get ComcastSportsNet and CSNHD with Verizon - the only reason I wouldn't have left was so I could get these and watch Redskins Radio and the pre and post game shows.

It sounds like the signal is at marginal strength for you setup of internal cabling and number of connections. See if they can increase the strength of the signal coming into the house. Often the 'taps' get overloaded as more people in the neighborhood get additional services.

I had exactly this problem and boosting signal strength, as well as replacing a few bad connectors fixed the problem.

But no doubt, Comcast totally sucks and I can't wait until I have the choice of Verizon FIOS.

I live in DC and have the exact same problem. I even switched my box but it made no difference. The same crap still happens. I do not understand how Comcast is allowed to operate the way they do. They are a monopoly and are not regulated at all. It is complete BS.

I have Comcast in DC and have been having tons of problems getting good HD reception and I'm not sure why....

My tv has a built in HD tuner so that's how I picked up channels in the past, but now that I have comcast HD I figured that would be better, plus I get more channels. However, not all of the channels come in clear. I use an HDMI cable (I also tried the component? cables and that made no difference). Anway, every day different HD channels comes in clear. The ones that don't work get really pixelated and flash green screens and have no sound - or sound comes in intermittently.

I'm wondering if this could be a weak signal? We currently have 4 tvs using cable, plus a modem, and we have to use 3 or 4 splitters throughout the apt. I have no idea why certain channels work on different days though. Of course ABC HD did not work Thursday so I had to watch regular Lost:(

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be? I want to avoid having to call comcast if possible

thanks!

As a former Comcast tech this does certainly sound like a signal issue.

If you get a chance go ahead and do this....

1. If you happen to know where in the apartment the main cable feed comes in at (in other words where the line from outside first enters the house).

You always want your digital boxes and cable modems (if all possible) to always come off the first split into the house. That is what is called a "dedicated line". Usually techs are supposed to have the modem alone comng off of that, but sometimes depending on how many pieces equipment the customer has its darn near impossible.

2. The bad thing about apartments is that many of them that I have been in depending how how old they are...are on what we called a "loop system", which basically means it hits mutiple splits before its gets to the devices (modems, cable boxes).

If your aparment is somewhat new than you SHOULD if it was run properly have what is called a "home run setup", which basically means it hits 1 splitter and then goes to each box or modem (this is usually on a 5-way or even an 8 way splitter). If this is the case then it could be that the signal coming into the house could be weak.

That couuld be because of A. Your main line feeding in could be bad..or there could be a signal issue somewhere outside on Comcast main feed. If I had to take a guess I would say it would be the line coming into your hosue because alot of times those lines get damaged in the "fishing" process or sometimes when contractor are putting them in they can sometimes put nails through them or connectors could not be put on tightly.

PM me and let me know what set up you have if you can tell throughout the house....I can walk you through step by step to see if we can get this solved before calling out any techs.

By the way how many cable boxes do you have in the house?

I live in DC and have the exact same problem. I even switched my box but it made no difference. The same crap still happens. I do not understand how Comcast is allowed to operate the way they do. They are a monopoly and are not regulated at all. It is complete BS.

Yep, I even called and complained to them saying that exactly. Their response was that they are only responsible for the signal going to the house, once there it is no longer their responsibility to guarantee signal strength or service. I said so even though I can go days without service, as long as the signal is working on the box outside of my house and you test the line coming in and it says there is a signal (no matter how faint), it's no longer your responsibility from there? They responded in the affirmative. Three weeks later (that's how long it took Verizon to get someone out to install FiOS with the six hour long installation process - they redo everything, it's great), Comcast was no more.

Yeah I wish they had FIOS in my area or anything else. I am not allowed to get a Dish because I live in a historic building. So I literally have no choice. It is such crap but there is nothing I can do about it.

I've had the same problems as the poster has said. It took them multiple visits to fix the problem (signal related). Their service is crap and there has not been a month in the last year where my service has not been down. In fact the last month my service has been down 4 times. Also compression is an issue with many cable and satellite providers. Take a look at A&E HD and compare it to Discovery HD theater, or ESPN HD, huge difference on picture quality (its suppose to be that way, because of compression).

-Grant

hey everyone, thanks for all the responses! I guess I will end up calling comcast this week. the only other downside to actually having to deal with them is that they only know of 2 of our 4 tvs (I've never had them charge by number of tvs if they're not using boxes - we have one hd/dvr box and one regular, the other two tvs just run directly from the line) so we'll have to switch splitters back to the ones they put on when they came out to "install" everything. anyway, sounds like it might take a few tries for them to get things fixed!

I have Comcast HD, and mine usually works fine. we get the occasional channel blacked out for a short period of time or the audio will cut out for like 3 or 4 seconds, but it comes right back. I just figured it was HD glitches. But more and more it seems that Comcast is to blame.

I have more of a gripe with their internet service than their HD service, but that's a story for another day.

And as far as Directv goes.....f*ck them. I HATE their customer service, AND they turned me over to a collection agency after a 1 1/2 year old cancellation fee that was never paid AND they said i had 3 boxes i never returned. I DID return the boxes, but i never paid the cancellation fee. They had my address though, and NEVER attempted to contact me about the situation. They just let it sit for a year and a half because they aren't hurting for the money, then turned me over to a collection agency and took a stab at my good credit.

Well, I paid the cancellation fee, because admittedly, i never paid that. I didn't even know about it. However i KNEW i returned their damn boxes, and after going back and forth for OVER A MONTH, they FINALLY took that bullsh*t off of my account and i'm supposedly paid up with them.

I continue to check my old Directv online account a few times a week to make sure there's no other hidden crap they're trying to hit me with. I was a loyal customer who ALWAYS paid his bills on time, and this is how they treat me? I mean we had to send a letter to a "debt dispute" department that i don't even think exists. We were given a run around on the phone 5 or 6 times and from one person to the next, they never really knew what was going on so someone would always give us different advice that didn't amount to anything.

F*ck Directv, they'll NEVER get my business again. And if Comcast keeps acting like a buncha bamas....i'll be looking into getting FIOS at my new house.

I have Comcast HD, and mine usually works fine. we get the occasional channel blacked out for a short period of time or the audio will cut out for like 3 or 4 seconds, but it comes right back. I just figured it was HD glitches. But more and more it seems that Comcast is to blame.

Even what seems like a small problem is inexcusable, though, when Comcast will do nothing about it. They take days to get someone to your home and my latest problems have been when several houses on my street have outages and call them in, but they insist it's an isolated outage and will take three days to send a tech out. They have been on my **** list for quite some time and will be gone once FiOS is here.

Even what seems like a small problem is inexcusable, though, when Comcast will do nothing about it. They take days to get someone to your home and my latest problems have been when several houses on my street have outages and call them in, but they insist it's an isolated outage and will take three days to send a tech out. They have been on my **** list for quite some time and will be gone once FiOS is here.

oh yeah, don't get me wrong, their customer service sucks. The only company who's customer service is worth a damn is Verizon. They never give me a run around when i have a problem with my phone service.

Archived