Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Armed Forces Day

Ax

http://www.defenselink.mil/afd/

President Harry S. Truman led the effort to establish a single holiday for citizens to come together and thank our military members for their patriotic service in support of our country.

On August 31, 1949, Secretary of Defense Louis Johnson announced the creation of an Armed Forces Day to replace separate Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force Days. The single-day celebration stemmed from the unification of the Armed Forces under one department -- the Department of Defense.

Sometimes it's easy to forget while we're sitting on our ass, pissin' and moanin', that men and women of our Armed Forces are all over the world, away from their families, making it possible for us to sit on our ass, pissin' and moanin'. As they always have been.

Just a thank you to all who have, are, and will be, making the necessary sacrifices to keep our nation strong and free. Despite what some would try to have us think, our military is the class of the world. Both in it's ability to fight, and in the honorable way in which they serve.

If anyone lives close to Carlisle, the Army Heritage Center is having a living history day today. They have people dressed in the uniforms of all the different periods and scenes recreated from all the different periods. It's all situated around a walking trail that's probably a mile or two long. Some pretty cool stuff like a WW1 trench, Revolutionary War fort, etc.

Armed Forces Day?

Then what the **** are Memorial Day and Veteran's Day for?

This reminds me of the Simpsons episode... "THEY ALREADY HAVE TWO!!!"

Memorial Day is for those that died in the service to the country. The people honored by Memorial Day are dead. While almost always well intentioned a "Happy Memorial Day" greeting to a living member of the Armed Forces or a veteran is not really appropriate in my opinion.

Veterans Day is for veterans. These people are living.

we can also claim any day that a hippie "sit in" or "protest" was squashed by the might of the national guard.

man i love watching hippies cry when the tear gas hits their little sissy faces.

Ah yes, those hippies, exercising their constitutional right to free speech :rolleyes:

Ah yes, those hippies, exercising their constitutional right to free speech :rolleyes:

aaah the military. beating hippies into submission for over 100 years.

I loved the Simpsons episode where Abe was going to have assisted suicide done and the last thing he wanted to see was "cops beatin hippies" on the big screen.

grandpas_awesome_death.jpg

A big thank you to my brothers & sisters and their families that are, have and will serve our country. We could not be the great country that we are without you!

:applause: :cheers: :applause: :cheers: :applause:

Capt. Kaos

U.S. Navy 1987-1992

USS Orion AS-18

Sardinia, Italy

aaah the military. beating hippies into submission for over 100 years.

Ummm.... if they were beaten into 'submission' why did they need to keep being beaten into submission for 100 years?

Submission - I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Ummm.... if they were beaten into 'submission' why did they need to keep being beaten into submission for 100 years?

Submission - I don't think that word means what you think it means.

youve used that same stupid joke for too long rince. it hasnt ever been funny and i dont think it ever will be no matter how many times you try to use it.

there are many factions of you hippies. and youre like weeds; you get beaten down but you try again.

submission

–noun 1.an act or instance of submitting. 2.the condition of having submitted. 3.submissive conduct or attitude.

in not ONE definition does it say permanent.

youve used that same stupid joke for too long rince. it hasnt ever been funny and i dont think it ever will be no matter how many times you try to use it.

there are many factions of you hippies. and youre like weeds; you get beaten down but you try again.

submission

–noun 1.an act or instance of submitting. 2.the condition of having submitted. 3.submissive conduct or attitude.

in not ONE definition does it say permanent.

What joke? The Princess Bride thing - not sure I've used it on here before. Though I wanted to the other day, but I don't think I got around to it... who knows I think I was high then.

By the way - you're still wrong. ;)

Army, AirForce, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard and all reserves. Salute.

I served semi-proudly from 1986 to 1992. First 3 years on a battleship birthed in the 1940s. Last 3 at a reserve unit here in MD.

Hey Rince- There's nothing quite like burning one in the crow's nest of a US Navy battleship. ;)

Army, AirForce, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard and all reserves. Salute.

I served semi-proudly from 1986 to 1992. First 3 years on a battleship birthed in the 1940s. Last 3 at a reserve unit here in MD.

Hey Rince- There's nothing quite like burning one in the crow's nest of a US Navy battleship. ;)

Oh man, that would be a ****ing blast. :laugh:

Thanks to all that serve.

Air Show Celebrates Berlin Airlift Anniversary

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=49917

ANDREWS AIR FORCE BASE, Md., May 17, 2008 – The historic humanitarian efforts of the Berlin Airlift 60 years ago demonstrated to U.S. allies and enemies alike that the country would not be deterred from its commitments, the Air Force secretary said today.

Armed Forces related

Archived