Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why did we go to Iraq?

WVUforREDSKINS

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

For me, IMO, b, c, AND d. I think money was a factor, as it is in everything. I think we wanted to show other people not to **** with us. And I think we wanted a democracy in the Middle East to set an example for the rest of the reigion. The domino effect part II, opposite style. Obviously though, other than B, it hasn't worked out for ****. Such is life. Just now, tens and possibly hundreds of thousands have lost their lives to this mistake. Which is why the risk shouldn't have been taken in the first place. Although I guess if you look at it from the risk vs reward POV maybe it was a good risk to take. I don't think so but who knows.

But whatever, we're there now.

Other: Strategically it is a fine place to put pressure on the factions in the Middle East that want to commit terrorist acts. It is central to the region, it can be easily re-supplied.

Going to war in the region means you must consider factors that are at play. One of the first is the size of Saddam's military, and that they must be accounted for .. invading elsewhere allows that sizable force to roam the battlefield at will, gathering size, possibly touching off the jihad the loonies have been trying to start. (Armies controlled by despots tend to 'draft' people as they move...) By attacking them directly, we removed one of the larger military obstacles that would have stood in our path as we move forward in this war. (Iraq is a battle. The war is larger in scope.)

Of all the countries in the middle east, strategically tactically and politically they were the best choice to invade. Not a single ME leader will complain if Saddam is deposed, and other than Iran and Syria's covert operations, everyone else in the middle east seems to be staying out of it, seeing what happens.

For those convinced it is oil,, does it not matter that so many non-US and non-allied nations have been invited to bid on the oil contracts?

If we were there to simply steal it, why on earth do we invite China and Russia to bid on the contracts?

It kind of shoots the whole 'war for oil' theory full of holes when we're willing to simply give up the wealth and power that comes with it to nations without a drop of blood invested. Not to mention give it up to nations that are unfriendly to us in the first place... how does that jive with this idea we're there for nothing but oil? What do you guys say if Russia wins the contract, and decides that what we're paying is not enough?

Putin is our friend, i guess.

~Bang

Hey Bang, I just want to let you know that your excellent post wasn't totally ignored :applause: :applause:

Very well done.

Honestly, I think a lot of it had to do with 9/11, but not in the way that they used to suggest.

I think the White House is haunted by 9/11 and they began to see boogeymen everywhere. If something was suspiscious they were not going to take the chance. They were not going to allow it to happen again on their watch. They were already predisposed to hate Iraq for a number of reasons. Some people played on their fears. Discidents, Cheney, etc. They pointed out the possible evil and that here was a madman that used WMD's on his own people. Here was another monster who had reason to hate us. He rewarded terrorists. So, when they looked at the evidence they looked at it with a very prejudiced eye. They looked at it with an eye hungry to find a result to meet their conclusion. Fear and anger made them lose objectivity to a degree.

I don't think it was about oil... not in the purest sense. I don't think it was strategic. I think that maybe some of all of your metrics played a part, but I think the real catalyst was fear, hunger for revenge, and a determination to not let anything else happen on their watch.

For those convinced it is oil,, does it not matter that so many non-US and non-allied nations have been invited to bid on the oil contracts?

If we were there to simply steal it, why on earth do we invite China and Russia to bid on the contracts?

It kind of shoots the whole 'war for oil' theory full of holes when we're willing to simply give up the wealth and power that comes with it to nations without a drop of blood invested. Not to mention give it up to nations that are unfriendly to us in the first place... how does that jive with this idea we're there for nothing but oil? What do you guys say if Russia wins the contract, and decides that what we're paying is not enough?

Putin is our friend, i guess.

~Bang

Bang, I don't have any lookup basis for saying this, but considering that I seem to recall Russia and China being out of the Security Council when this vote proceeded, I think that we bought their silence on this issue with oil contracts for them. That would certainly explain what is going on. Especially if you consider that the Iraqis do not need anyone's help to extract or find oil (because they were able to do so pre and early Saddam, with a Nationalized oil company).

I don't believe the whole thing revolved around oil, but considering the fact that the US had substantive documented input into how the oil thing was going down (see those pesky 'oil sharing' laws that the Iraqis refuse to pass and that are being constantly cited as a progress benchmark), it was a key reason to go and remain there. I think the Military Industrial Complex had their reasons, the Oil people had their reasons, the Neo's had their reasons, the Bush family had their reasons, and the Religous Right had their reasons. They had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11 except as a convenient excuse, as it is well documented that this Administration was planning the war with Iraq prior to taking office and 9/11.

Bang, I don't have any lookup basis for saying this, but considering that I seem to recall Russia and China being out of the Security Council when this vote proceeded, I think that we bought their silence on this issue with oil contracts for them. That would certainly explain what is going on. Especially if you consider that the Iraqis do not need anyone's help to extract or find oil (because they were able to do so pre and early Saddam, with a Nationalized oil company).

I don't believe the whole thing revolved around oil, but considering the fact that the US had substantive documented input into how the oil thing was going down (see those pesky 'oil sharing' laws that the Iraqis refuse to pass and that are being constantly cited as a progress benchmark), it was a key reason to go and remain there. I think the Military Industrial Complex had their reasons, the Oil people had their reasons, the Neo's had their reasons, the Bush family had their reasons, and the Religous Right had their reasons. They had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11 except as a convenient excuse, as it is well documented that this Administration was planning the war with Iraq prior to taking office and 9/11.

Those are solid points, and even though these other nations have been invited to bid on the contracts, we don't know if that is just for show or not.

Stay tuned!

~Bang

Archived