Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who do you want replacing Daniels?

J.Campbell17

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The Colt's Robert Mathis has started the past two seasons at left defensive end at less than 245lbs. A liability? He's led the team in sacks 2 out of the 3 past years. This past season, their defense ranked 15th overall in rushing yards against, but they ranked 1st in the league in points against.

robert mathis also has the best pass rushing DE in the league in Dwight Freeney on the other side of him garnering double teams and help from the RB, and he also has DT's who can collapse the pocket.

I picked other, because I want to sign a DE in FA next year or draft one wherever one falls in thhe draft that is considered worthy of the pick. To get a rock solid DE early in the draft usually requires a top-10 pick, whcih hopefully we won't have. I WANT PEPPERS!

I think the idea of moving Daniels to DT on obvious passing situations is an awesome idea. I heard it thrown around on the Redskins website. He was in lifting competition this offseason which means he is STRONG enough to bang with the center and gaurds. Chris Wilson showed he can be very productive.

Depending on how well that works, we maybe able to hold of another year on DE and go with a DT.

He did it all last season. So if you liked the way our line played, then yes, it works well.

Our 1st round pick in 2009. Daniels has no replacement in this roster. Without him our defense would be a lot worse, people just don't notice the impact he has. This guy is like our 3rd DT and this allows us to be so stout against the run. Come 3rd down he can get replaced by Chris Wilson, Alex Buzbee or Marcus Washington. No one in this roster is similar to Daniels so we better pick a replacement for him in 2009 (Merling would have been perfect ...)

Here is Irony for you. Here and there, people throw out Jason Taylor's name. And they immediately get hazed for it. "He's ancient".

And 2 years younger than Daniels. And 1 year removed from being named MVP. And has been HUGELY more productive than Daneils ever was.

Taylors' worst year was better than Daniels' best year.

But he sucks. :doh:

Do I think we should go after Taylor? No, simply because he IS at the end of his career and he wouldnt be worth the price it would take to get him for a couple of years. But to say that we dont need to upgrade the position is not seeing things as they are.

There's something to be said for team chemistry. Daniels has been a Skin since '04. He's a team leader on defense. Not to mention he didn't cost us any draft picks (Taylor would have). And yes he does dominate as a run defender.

To trade for Taylor to replace Daniels would have been a move on par with this team's moves for Archuleta and Lloyd.

The Colt's Robert Mathis has started the past two seasons at left defensive end at less than 245lbs. A liability? He's led the team in sacks 2 out of the 3 past years. This past season, their defense ranked 15th overall in rushing yards against, but they ranked 1st in the league in points against.

robert mathis also has the best pass rushing DE in the league in Dwight Freeney on the other side of him garnering double teams and help from the RB, and he also has DT's who can collapse the pocket.

Well, Freeney played only 9 games last season. He may have once been the best pass rushing DE in the league, but he hasn't had more than 5.5 sacks in three years. Mathis might be the better pass rusher at this point in their careers. No doubt, however, they benefit from one another's presence. I suspect Carter and Wilson could similarly benefit each other.

And just who are these pocket-collapsing DTs? Raheem Brock and Ed Johnson with their combined 3.5 sacks last season? C'mon. Those guys don't possess any more talent then the guys the Redskins have at DT. Schematically, they are more aggressive upfield than are the Skins' DTs, however. That is the nature of the Cover-2/Tampa-2 defense.

What I'm trying to say is that maybe the Skins need to start thinking outside the box. Why not play 245lbs Chris Wilson at DE and 290lb Phillip Daniels at DT if 235lb Robert Mathis and 274lb Raheem Brock can play for the #1 defense in the league in points against?

Alright, Daniels probably has 1 or 2 years left on him. After he retires, Who would you want to see replacing Daniels? Chris Wilson, Rob Jackson, or Alex Buzbee?

Personally, I see potetional in Wilson and Buzbee. Jackson would be good a good backup to whoever wins starter in a year or so.

Wilson did a good job in Week 17 against the Cowboys by sacking Romo sits to pee.

Buzbee had a total of 27.5 sacks at Georgetown, third in history.

Yea he had 1 or 2 years left, 3 years ago. He had 24 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 15 games last year, any warm bodied person could do that.

Yep he had a whopping 24 tackles to go along with his special 2.5 sacks.

I don't look at numbers. What I saw were offenses that could not run on the left side of our defense. Could not. Not to mention the timely forced fumbles and tipped passes Daniels seemed to always come through with.

What I'm trying to say is that maybe the Skins need to start thinking outside the box. Why not play 245lbs Chris Wilson at DE and 290lb Phillip Daniels at DT if 235lb Robert Mathis and 274lb Raheem Brock can play for the #1 defense in the league in points against?

I agree mostly with what your saying here that the skins should play daniels inside more,espicially since he packed on 20 lbs this offseason. I think this could be very effective with him inside and wilson rushing from the end spot. I wouldn't however, make it an every down thing. Do you think that wilson would be able to hold up every down and be effcient against the run? I think he could at times and maybe a year or two down the road, but not now.

Not only is Daniels old, but he always seems to get hurt for a few games. I just don't feel comfortable not having a solid backup behind him. Chris Wilson is a decent pass rusher, but that's it. I really hope someone becomes available after June 1st. Antwan Odom would have been a good signing, not sure why we passed on him.

Pick your poison. Rotating defensive ends depending on down and distance telegraphs what your trying to do and takes away a measure of deception. With so many teams passing the ball 40-50 times a game and with three-step quarterback drops and spread formations on just about any down, I'd be awfully tempted to get my best pass rushers out on the field as much as possible. What's the point of being stout against the run when the opponent's O-linemen are in pass pro stance 75% of the time?

If the Skins continue their present rotation of Daniels on possible running downs and Wilson on obvious passing downs, opponents are going to just start spreading the field and passing every time they see Daniels in the game. I'm actually a fan of Phillip Daniels, but I'm skeptical as to whether or not his extra weight and strength is going to translate into more pass rush pressure from the edge. He might be better rushing from the tackle position.

Ultimately, if the Skins are playing a team you know is going to run the ball a ton of times, Daniels is the guy who should start and play a lot. But if you know you're going to play a team that's going to throw the ball a lot more, I'm going with Wilson on just about every down.

Read my first post. I dont want either Daneils or Wilson. I'd rather have some better than either of the 2.

I voted for Chris Wilson. Seems like a great guy, and maybe in a couple of years, he can take over as the full start opposite of AC. Until then, I'd like to see him in there in certain packages until he masters his game.

There's something to be said for team chemistry. Daniels has been a Skin since '04. He's a team leader on defense. Not to mention he didn't cost us any draft picks (Taylor would have). And yes he does dominate as a run defender.

To trade for Taylor to replace Daniels would have been a move on par with this team's moves for Archuleta and Lloyd.

Dominates? Seriously?

Okay.....................................

I think the word "dominate" is terrible overused and is inaptly used most of the time. Ted Washington dominated against the run. Reggie White dominated against the run. Phillip Daniels?

But I DO believe that Philip Daniels has been one of the better run defending defensive ends in the league for many years. He's very strong. Doesn't get pushed off the line. He can stack and shed. But he's still flexible enough to break down and move laterally to make plays up and down the line. He's been an integral part of some really stout run defenses both in Chicago and Washington.

I would seriously question anyone's football knowledge who would say Daniels is not an outstanding run defender.

But that's never been the problem with Daniels. He's a rock against the run, but he simply lacks the burst and explosion off the edge to be a consistent pass rusher at DE. And that part of his game simply isn't going to improve at his age, no matter how hard he hits the weightroom.

So, to all, please stop using the word "dominate" so much. Phillip Daniels has never been a dominant player over time. But also please give Daniels his due, as well. He's been a better-than-average defensive end most of his career due to his attitude and intelligence.

I would seriously question anyone's football knowledge who would say Daniels is not an outstanding run defender.

Nobody here cares about run defense though, because that doesn't get you to the Pro Bowl! A lot of people here really think they know more about this that the coaches, players, and FO, and there's nothing you can do about it other than ignore them.

Now, as for signing Peppers next offseason. . . DO IT! It's the only way to satisfy the vultures who really think our D line is the biggest problem with the team, when in actuality it is bad luck and questionable 2nd half coaching.

The Redskins run a traditional 4-3 defense and play on grass, so you can take the Colts example of what Dungy runs in the dome and throw it out the window in re application in Washington.

You tend to have smaller outside linebackers in the 4-3 than in the 3-4, hence you need bigger DEs that are able to anchor the line and prevent blockers from hitting the second level.

Andre Carter at 260 is fine at one end spot because you can shift the defense to help on the run on that side.

But the other side almost demands that you have a guy 275-290 to anchor vs. the run and hold his own.

The idea of having a Carter clone on the other side of the line at 255-260 just won't work here.

Since the Redskins have numbers on the DL but no stars, what you are going to see is another year of situation substitution.

Daniels at 290 is going to play the run downs and then Wilson and others will be used as designated rushers on long yardage.

Eventually, we need to find a two-way DE on that side.

That is going to take $$$ either with a high draft pick or a veteran FA.

I didn't select a replacement for Daniels because I think this season will determine who that player will be from your list. Look for Daniels to begin playing less which will keep him fresher and let one of the other promising DEs step up.

It's too early to make that choice now before we have a chance to see all of the above in action. There's a possibility that none of the above will step up, but I wouldn't count on it.

Our fall back will be the draft if the coaching staff is not happy with your prospects.

The Redskins run a traditional 4-3 defense and play on grass, so you can take the Colts example of what Dungy runs in the dome and throw it out the window in re application in Washington.

You tend to have smaller outside linebackers in the 4-3 than in the 3-4, hence you need bigger DEs that are able to anchor the line and prevent blockers from hitting the second level.

Andre Carter at 260 is fine at one end spot because you can shift the defense to help on the run on that side.

But the other side almost demands that you have a guy 275-290 to anchor vs. the run and hold his own.

The idea of having a Carter clone on the other side of the line at 255-260 just won't work here.

Since the Redskins have numbers on the DL but no stars, what you are going to see is another year of situation substitution.

Daniels at 290 is going to play the run downs and then Wilson and others will be used as designated rushers on long yardage.

Eventually, we need to find a two-way DE on that side.

That is going to take $$$ either with a high draft pick or a veteran FA.

:applause: :applause:

Archived