Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which Draft Day decision, has you still shakin' your head at this time?(POLL)

michael_33

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Fred Davis over Calais Campbell.

The next OL after that pick, however, was taken in the third round. So I'm not too mad we didnt take an OL. However, I do believe that overall, Fred Davis will have a better career than Campbell, so ultimately I'm not mad about that pick as long as we get DL next year.

Although I like the matchup problems drafting Fred Davis will cause. I would have liked to have Calais Campbell. Then again, I'm not a scout and I didn't see him workout and remember our new DL coach was the DC at Miami during Campbell's best season. The Fred Davis move will be linked to CC for a long time.

We will have to watch these to players over the course of the next few seasons as we did with Sean Taylor and Kellen Winslow.

The Redskins didn't have a legitimate passing game TE behind Cooley. Todd Yoder is a good blocker and a guy that will make the team as the #3 but he is not a real offensive weapon at age 30.

I would have liked to see the team take a lineman or even a strongside linebacker in place of Davis. The problem is in this draft there really was a lack of top rated linebackers.

Campbell's size at 6'7 and 290 at DE is attractive but there are a lot of guys his size that don't make it in the NFL because they are slow off the ball or their size prevents them from being able to work with any kind of leverage, and they end up playing high and being blocked rather easily.

Since he lasted until the #60 pick, it appears other teams had similar concerns about him.

Just so you know, we took Davis over Calais because we had him rated higher on our draft board. I believe we planned to use our last 2nd round pick on Campbell and he was taken right before by the Cardinals which is why we took another WR in Kelly. A lot of people believe that Campbell is better suited to play in a 3-4 than a 4-3 anyway so I'm not really going to complain that we didn't get him. We needed red-zone threats more than anything, and now we have multiple.

I'm interested to see what the kick returner Mathis can do....It seems like a long time since we took a punt return back for a TD...

Colts game '06 wasn't that long ago. ARE took it to the house.

Besides, Mathis' punt returns are worse than ARE's, his forte is really kickoff returns.

I will always remember this draft as the draft on which we used our second pick to select a TE to backup our pro bowl TE. I asked my friend the next day, "With that pick, hell, why don't we take a backup punter with the next pick?"

Two skins' picks later, the Redskins select P Durant Brooks. :doh:

The next OL after that pick, however, was taken in the third round. So I'm not too mad we didnt take an OL. However, I do believe that overall, Fred Davis will have a better career than Campbell, so ultimately I'm not mad about that pick as long as we get DL next year.

That sums up my feelings.

While I'm not mad about the pick, I just think Calais would have fallen more in line with our needs. :whoknows:

Although I like the matchup problems drafting Fred Davis will cause. I would have liked to have Calais Campbell. Then again, I'm not a scout and I didn't see him workout and remember our new DL coach was the DC at Miami during Campbell's best season. The Fred Davis move will be linked to CC for a long time.

We will have to watch these to players over the course of the next few seasons as we did with Sean Taylor and Kellen Winslow.

i feel the same way..we can always hope for next year to grab some good DL players.

This is not because Davis missed practice, I just don't understand the pick. Picking the the WRs is fine and all the other picks are ok too. But why would you pick a TE like davis when you have a probowl TE already?

I would say definitely Davis over Campbell. Even before the draft, I was hoping that we'd be able to trade up/trade down and acquire a a high second pick to get him. I think he has great potential at a position of big need for us, LDE. Before the '07 college football season, none of us thought that we'd be in a position to draft Campbell, unless if we were picking in the top 10. Our only hope was that he would have a down year and fall to us. Well, Miami's entire defense(including another projected Top 10/15 pick in Philips) had a bad year and Campbell was a possibility at 21. He then goes to the combine and looks bad in a t-shirt and shirt(way too overrated) and could've been had in the mid-second.

I'm guessing though that the Skins actually knew what they were doing in passing at the cahnce to take him. We had Palermo's inside info to go off of and apparently neither he nor Scott Campbell(who has done a good job, IMO) felt he was worth a mid-second rounder.

The good news is that most of the draft guys/media are actually giving us a good/great grade on our draft, which doesn't happen often. Unfortunately, the bad news is that the draft 'gurus'/media are giving us a good grade on our draft. :)

I'm interested to see what the kick returner Mathis can do....It seems like a long time since we took a punt return back for a TD...
I think in one of Zorns pressers over the weekend he said they were looking at Mathis for Kick returns, not Punt returns....who knows maybe they look at both

Its a shame I could only pick one. I did not get trading down form the first unless we knew our guys where going to be there at the spots we got. I still cant believe we traded the pick with Merling still on the board. I thought it was a no brainer to take him and we where lucky to have him fall as far as he did. Maybe that was the plan, to get him at #34 but Miami messed that up. Before they announced the trade, I was even ok with the idea of getting Mendenhall as the BPA, but then that questionable trade happened.

I didn't mind Thomas at #34, I knew we where drafting a WR early, so I said to myself, good its out of the way, which linemen are we going after? Then Day 1 went all down hill for me after that. Davis confused me, even the BPA logic does not sit well with me as many "meadiots" had about 30 players ranked higher than Davis at #48. And Malcolm Kelly was the only WR I did not want in the draft.

I had my "ideal draft" drawn up but lost the paper some where but it looked something like this(option A/optionB):

1-21-Merling/Mendehall

2-51-Sweed/Q.Groves

3-84?-Zbikowski/Best WR/OL

3-96-O.Cousins/Best WR/OL

5-154-T.Williams-CB-both options

6-I forget BPA

7- Monk

7-Barrett

7-Punter if you really want one.

Yep, this is the one that got me.

Davis has gave up already and sees we do not need a tight end

Now that we are a full week past the 08' Draft,I wanted to get an idea of what decision made by the front office has you still shakin' your head the most? :rolleyes: (poll up in a few)

I admit I didn't understand the TE pick, but in the red zone, I'll take any TD and I think that's why we went with all of the first 3 picks, looking to get into the end zone. I hope it's like the other times I've had these questions and about mid-way through next year, I have one of those "Oh, that's why" moments.

Who knows if we would have taken Calais instead of Kelly if he'd been there. Maybe we thought the iggles or Arizona would have taken Davis if we hadn't taken them and we guess they wouldn't take Calais and we hoped to get Davis and Calais. No way of knowing. We just shouldn't assume that we didn't want Calais because we ended up not picking him.

MY VOTE:: Why didn't we draft more Offensive Lineman?

This is my ONE AND ONLY gripe about this offseason. There were a TON of OT prospects that we passed in the last 3 rounds. Other good ones got snatched up RIGHT before our picks...

I dont know why you all wanted Calais Campbell so bad.

1. He is fit for a 3-4 defense because he is too slow to be an end and would fit nosetackle better.

2. We got three weapons to help out our offense with the second round picks.

We also have youth behind our "aging Dline" even if they arnt high profile guys. My cuz played football with buzbee and he is a hell of a player. He has great quicks and makes plays..even though it was D 1AA but still.

Also....sleeping in once is not a crime last time I checked even if it was his third day. He got up the two days before that .....stuff happens.....all of a sudden he is the mosted hated man in DC

Archived