Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which Draft Day decision, has you still shakin' your head at this time?(POLL)

michael_33

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Davis over Campbell.

Yeah, our offense blew hard. Only maybe Tampa Bay had a worse, more boring offense than Gibbs 2.

Having said that, we used a ton of picks to address that--so it isn't like that was being neglected in the draft.

We just had too many last quarter drives against us for victory. While a better offense will give us more points when these receivers develop, and it may keep opposing offenses on the bench longer--no offense in the world would have stopped that Seattle game winning drive against us last season.

Another TE? No, that won't fix that problem. That isn't how you keep Seattle from driving 80 yards with total ease to knock us out of the playoffs.

A more formidable pass rush would fix that problem.

Davis over C. Campbell or Q. Groves.

Trading down with the Rams in the 5th round instead of taking OG R. Scheuning, who the Rams ended up selecting.

A Punter in the 6th over OL B. Richardson.

Kareem Moore in the 6th over CB D. Tribble, DE B. Johnston, or C S. Justice.

Still, an excellent draft. We've addresed the WR spot while giving ourself two big targets, added a weapon at TE, added a versatile lineman, and hopefully will have a new punter and a 3rd string QB.

I wish there was another option like "Skins had a good draft" to vote for.

I watched Campbell play in Blacksburg, and he didn't impress me at all. He didn't do anything. I think he wasn't the one we were looking for. I think the skins wanted Merling to continue his slide to us at 34, and they were gonna go with Kelly or Jordy with their other 2nd rounder. All of the prospects we were looking at slid, and then they were snapped up before we could get them (DT from UMD, the one from Florida St., Josh Johnson from USD). I'm not upset with the Davis pick, I think he could pay off incase Cooley gets hurt. We know Yoder is old, so in a year or two Davis could be a starting type of TE. Dallas, Indy, and plenty of other teams have depth at TE. The iggles would have struggled if they didn't have any TE depth once L.J. Smith went down. Let's not forget about the young guys we picked up last year. Wilson had some big sacks towards the end of last year, and Buzzbee has put on weight in the offseason. Buzzbee might even make the full roster this year. We have some youth.

Even Clayton (aka Mr. Mackey) said that sacks are kind of overatted in the 4-3, contain is much more important. As much as I love to see the opposing QB's get put in the dirt, I think we are ok at that position.

I wish we could have gotten another OL though. That might have been pretty nice, so I chose that because the rest of the options I weren't worthy of my vote. The C out of Wake probably would have been a good pick. I'm not even sure who is backing up Rabach. Our production slipped a little once he tweaked his groin.

But Davis might very well stun some of us. The D has been solid the last 6 years minus the 2006 campaign. What was lacking was the Offense, especially the redzone offense. The scoring rankings don't lie, and we all saw how well we moved the ball between the 20's, only to get FGs.

HAIL!

Passing on Calais Campbell was a no-brainer....he isnt suited for the system and DL is not a huge need since there are alot of good young guys there.

I wish we had drafted another OL but I see that we have alot of qualified young guys trying out for a position on the O-line with our UDFA's....they sound very good.

We didnt need alot of DL help...we just need the young guys like Buzbee, Wilson, etc. to stay and grow together for a couple of years.

Punter was not something I thought about but if that new kid is as good as they say he is then we may have gotten a steal there.

Getting the 2 best WR's in the draft and Davis was a steal. That is an offensive dream draft. The OL from Northern Iowa is great and should be a nice addition. Rinehart's talent is up there. He will be a very good addition.

I hope Jackson pans out well for us.

The secondary is questionable. I am not sure how good those guys will be. I am guessing most are camp fodder. Tryon will be decent though, I hope.

I cant wait to hear input from coaches about these guys after OTA's.

First of all are D-Line coach was C. Campbell's coach in college so he knows him better then anyone on this board, how lazy he is and he's at 290 lbs now just think where he will be in a year or 2 310lbs trying to play DE. 2nd of all people keep forget Cooley is a HB he lines up in the backfield alot or spread out, so Davis will be right on the line blocking and using his speed down the center of the field let a LB try cover him(its like a LB trying to cover K. Winslow).

First of all are D-Line coach was C. Campbell's coach in college so he knows him better then anyone on this board, how lazy he is and he's at 290 lbs now just think where he will be in a year or 2 310lbs trying to play DE. 2nd of all people keep forget Cooley is a HB he lines up in the backfield alot or spread out, so Davis will be right on the line blocking and using his speed down the center of the field let a LB try cover him(its like a LB trying to cover K. Winslow).

But how much say did the DL coach have in the draft?? Just because he was his DL coach in college doesn't mean he has the trigger to draft him. Fred Davis was probably ranked higher on their board, which IMO was a big mistake, they could have drafted Jacob Tamme who's got better character and fits into what your doing on offense better.

I dont know why you all wanted Calais Campbell so bad.

1. He is fit for a 3-4 defense because he is too slow to be an end and would fit nosetackle better.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Campbell isn't big enough to play nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. He'd be a defensive end regardless and a guy who could move inside to play DT in passing situations.

And people keep saying he'd be a better fit in a 3-4, but our specific brand of 4-3 asks for the LDE to play the same function as a DE in the 3-4. His responsibility is to stop the run first and pass rush 2nd. Campbell would have filled that role here very well.

My gripe is with the those dang Eagles getting Trevor Laws right before the Skins "had" to pick Davis. Time will tell whether Davis is productive and worth the second round pick. Zorn may really want to use 2 TE sets and feel that the pass/YAC abilities of Yoder and Sellers weren't as good as he needed. If so, then the pick was worth it.

Overall I like how it turned out for Cerrato. If we hadn't traded down out of the first then the Skins may have wound up with Devin Thomas in the first and Malcolm Kelly in the second anyway. Alternatively, Philip Merling + Malcolm Kelly. The "what ifs" are endless. If Thomas, Davis and Kelly are productive for the Skins I don't really care about the other possibilities.

We should have drafted Calais Campbell with pick #48. Now the proof is in the pudding, with how much Fred Davis cares about his career. This is not a college party. Moronic, we could have added someone who could be a force on the D-line, but instead they had to go offense, cause we can't deviate from the board. What a mistake. Fred better make some TD's this year.

Actually, none of them have me scratching my head. The closest would be taking the three receivers in the second, but at that point you take your best player available. Calais Campbell is questionable, moreso than any of the three receivers we drafted (Fred Davis's recent sleep episode aside). In my opinion, we didn't reach for anyone. We took guys that were available where we should have taken them, including the punter. It's not often you get a sure-fire starter with a sixth round pick, but that's what we did when we drafted Brooks.

The only thing I might have wanted the Skins to do was to spend two of their second round picks (or maybe a 2 and a 3, however the math works out) with Miami to grab Merling, assuming Miami would do the deal considering they took Merling. I know the Giants would not have traded with us for us to jump ahead of Miami. Then we would have gotten Merling and one of the WRs we got anyway.

But, that doesn't make me scratch my head really. I'm sure we were hoping Merling would last a couple more spots, but it just didn't work out that way.

Hail,

H

I will always remember this draft as the draft on which we used our second pick to select a TE to backup our pro bowl TE. I asked my friend the next day, "With that pick, hell, why don't we take a backup punter with the next pick?"

Two skins' picks later, the Redskins select P Durant Brooks. :doh:

LOL..wow...that's a good one. Well, by next year if we don't draft any D-line...or O-line for that matter, I say we stage a coup and take over the Skins organization from Danny Boy and Vinny Retardto.

I will always remember this draft as the draft on which we used our second pick to select a TE to backup our pro bowl TE. I asked my friend the next day, "With that pick, hell, why don't we take a backup punter with the next pick?"

Two skins' picks later, the Redskins select P Durant Brooks. :doh:

Two picks later? Man, you missed a lot of the draft. Let me bring you up to speed.

After Fred Davis, we picked:

2nd Round

WR Malcolm Kelly

3rd Round

OG Chad Rinehart

4th Round

CB Justin Tryon

Durant Brooks wasn't picked 'til the 6th round.

Archived