Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2008 Mini-Camp - Day 3 (Write-up/Final)

JimmiJo

I just wanted to say outstanding job JimmiJo, as usual.

Really... I read your stuff, and there was no need for me to go anywhere else. Outstanding coverage, best on the net.

Thanks Zoon, you the man.

I don't think their worlds are that different...and actually I think the two worlds overlap in numerous and important ways. I think if Davis--well, every rookie--were to approach it like the "average joe" approaches getting a new job, they'd be better players for it. I'm praying Davis isn't telling himself "I KNOW I have a spot on the team, so I can relax a bit". I hope he takes the "average joe" mentality and tells himself "Yeah, the hired me, but if I don't show dedication and perform right off the bat they can always fire me".

This guy went to the same school as Charles Rogers and Mike Williams.

These guys, all of them it seems, just don't get it and don't care whether they get paid very well for a decade, or just get cut after 1-2 seasons.

Here's the NFL stats of the best recent USC receivers. (Remember Davis led USC in receiving last year)

Dwayne Jarrett #45 overall draft pick, 6 receptions last year.

Steve Smith #51 overall draft pick, 8 receptions last year.

Mike Williams #10 overall draft pick in 05, 44 career receptions, 7 last year, now on his 3rd team.

Keary Colbert #62 overall draft pick in 2004, 109 career receptions, by far the best of all recent USC receivers.

Charles Rogers #2 overall draft pick 36 career receptions, out of league since 2005.

RJ Soward #29 overall draft pick in 2000, 14 career receptions. Out of league after first year.

USC just doesn't produce NFL quality receivers. Just like Spurrier in Florida it's all about the scheme of the offense and the fact that they beat up on lesser teams most of the year. I'll be very surprised if this Davis guy is still around after the 2009 season and there is just no way he ever puts up numbers that compare with Cooley. Wasted 2nd rounder? You bet.

Here's the list of WR/TE's from USC who have been worth their picks.

Keyshawn Johnson (I think the Jets regret this pick)

Johnny Morton

I went back 30 years, I couldn't find any others. OK, Ray Butler was a decent WR for the Colts back in the early 80's.

Yeah, Fred Davis, great pick. :wavetowel :thumbsup: :koolaid:

USC just doesn't produce NFL quality receivers. Just like Spurrier in Florida it's all about the scheme of the offense and the fact that they beat up on lesser teams most of the year. I'll be very surprised if this Davis guy is still around after the 2009 season and there is just no way he ever puts up numbers that compare with Cooley. Wasted 2nd rounder? You bet.

Here's the list of WR/TE's from USC who have been worth their picks.

Keyshawn Johnson (I think the Jets regret this pick)

Johnny Morton

I went back 30 years, I couldn't find any others. OK, Ray Butler was a decent WR for the Colts back in the early 80's.

Say what you want about most of those receivers on your list, but I'd suggest dropping Steve Smith off of it now, unless you want to move him down to the productive list. Fact is he was out almost the entire season last year, but when he did play, he played extremely well. No, I'm not a USC fan (go WVU!) and no I'm not a Giants fan. I'm just calling it like I see it, and Steve Smith was an incredibly good pick for the Giants and I'm betting you're going to see big numbers from him this year.

Steve Smith had 8 receptions in 5 regular season games last year, but had 14 catches in the playoffs including 5 in the Super Bowl. Certainly, it is a bit early to put him in this category when he is trending upward. Dwayne Jarrett isn't trending upward, so I have no issues with you putting him on the list.

Don't you think it is also a bit early to make conclusions about Davis? He f'ed up... Hopefully he learns his lesson quickly.

As always, thanks for the write ups... All of you guys do a great job and I love the information you post about the Redskins since I'm not able to be there and witness it first hand...

You all make us feel like we were there. Keep up the great work.

wow, talk about one extreme to the next..

are these mini-camps even manditory??.. alot of top picks don't even show up for them.. yea, he should have shown up and its disappointing considering the guy is a hell of a prospect, but damn.. cutting or trading him after 1 mishap is a little much.. You never know.. this might put a chip on his shoulder and cause him to step it up a few notches..

also, this won't effect his contract negotiations.. it just doesn't work like that.. players miss practice ALL THE TIME.. including sean taylor in his rookie season.. at least he explained himself to Coach afterward..

Steve Smith had 8 receptions in 5 regular season games last year, but had 14 catches in the playoffs including 5 in the Super Bowl. Certainly, it is a bit early to put him in this category when he is trending upward. Dwayne Jarrett isn't trending upward, so I have no issues with you putting him on the list.

You are right.

Timmy Smith also did well in the postseason once.

Hmm.

Don't you think it is also a bit early to make conclusions about Davis? He f'ed up... Hopefully he learns his lesson quickly.

Sure, just like Charles Rogers, Williams, etc.

They all changed their USC ways, right?

Dude, this is way too easy.

Here is an idea.

Show me the exception.

Until then, I will lol any USC receiver who is drafted early. Sorry.

Sure, just like Charles Rogers, Williams, etc.

They all changed their USC ways, right?

Dude, this is way too easy.

Here is an idea.

Show me the exception.

Until then, I will lol any USC receiver who is drafted early. Sorry.

Davis isn't a USC WR

wow, talk about one extreme to the next..

are these mini-camps even manditory??.. alot of top picks don't even show up for them..

Top picks have contract issues. Jamarcus Russell wasn't signed until September.

You are right.

Timmy Smith also did well in the postseason once.

Hmm.

Timmy Smith was a backup RB who got did well when he was put in for 1 game.

Steve Smith was a first day pick who played well, got sidelined with an injury, came back in the post season, and lit it up in a receiving corp that includes Plaxico. Smith plays as well as any first day WR pick, and better than most as he contributed his first season in the NFL.

Don't know what your beef with USC is, but you're really barking up the wrong tree with Smith, and maybe you should actually watch the guy play at the NFL level before you start critizicing him and comparing him to a one shot wonder like Timmy Smith.

Maurice Mann had another good day, running crisp routes and catching everything. Anthony Mix however, not so much. I saw him drop a few he should have had.

This is more than bull you know what. I havent seen Anthony Mix drop a pass the whole camp. Not even in OTA's. Get your facts straight before you post false info. He is a beast. Ask Zorn. He has seen it with his own eyes. And he go crazy everytime Mix catches the ball.

Maurice Mann had another good day, running crisp routes and catching everything. Anthony Mix however, not so much. I saw him drop a few he should have had.

This is more than bull you know what. I havent seen Anthony Mix drop a pass the whole camp. Not even in OTA's. Get your facts straight before you post false info. He is a beast. Ask Zorn. He has seen it with his own eyes. And he go crazy everytime Mix catches the ball.

Why would a guy who watched the practice with his own eyes lie about Mix dropping balls? And why in the world would Zorn go nuts everytime some random receiver catches the ball? That makes no sense.

You created an account and used your first post to yell at me?

Interesting. Is this my wife?

Look, I am an Anthony Mix fan, and hope he makes it. But I can only tell you what I saw. He dropped balls he should have had.

This is more than bull you know what. I havent seen Anthony Mix drop a pass the whole camp. Not even in OTA's.

Have you even seen any of last weekends mini camp or this week's OTAs in person?

Archived