Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Fred Davis- Videos, Scouting, Rationalle, Thoughts, Etc.

skins86

I'll admit when i heard the pick i was like everybody els...WTF!@$

but after hearing the good things said about him and then researching him some i feel a lot better about it. after watching this video it seems like were going to get a dedicated guy, a "high class" guy that i think gibbs would approve of, whos here to just play football.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/fred-davis?id=216

what do you think?

I'll admit when i heard the pick i was like everybody els...WTF!@$

but after hearing the good things said about him and then researching him some i feel a lot better about it. after watching this video it seems like were going to get a dedicated guy, a "high class" guy that i think gibbs would approve of, whos here to just play football.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/fred-davis?id=216

what do you think?

What do I think? I think the Redskins FO was tired of having to win every game 17-13. I think they wanted to give JC as many weapons as possible. I think I like what we did today. Two TE sets are gonna be a &^$*& for defenses to defend now.

For those of you who are not too happy with the pick of Fred Davis I have an explanation for ya.

Zorn offense is very different from Gibbs offense and we needed another really good TE. With that said:

The pick: Fred Davis, TE, USC

What he brings: There were concerns about Davis' ability to stretch the field before the combine, and his slow 40 time backed up what we saw on film. He isn't an overwhelming in-line blocker, either, but does a good job getting in position and fights to sustain his blocks. In addition, he has the athletic ability, big hands and long arms to emerge as a reliable possession receiver.

How he fits: Based on the offensive scheme Jim Zorn will run, the two-tight end packages will be key. Davis will allow the Redskins to move TE Chris Cooley all over and create mismatches on offense. There were no other quality tight ends on the roster and Davis fills this need for Washington.

Go Skins!

After tomorrow our dynasty begins!

34. Washington Redskins

The pick: Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State

What he brings: Washington couldn't be happier about Thomas slipping, considering no one would have blinked had the Redskins selected him in the first round. Thomas isn't as good at stretching the field as his speed would suggest and he needs to improve his route running. But he has the quickness and athletic ability to continue to improve in those areas. He's also very good creating after catch for a player his size.

How he fits: Thomas provides them with a big receiver who had solid production at Michigan State. He is a good fit in Jim Zorn's West Coast offense. He is a two-level receiver and a perfect fit in Washington.

51. Washington Redskins

The pick: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

What he brings: Campbell has great size for a defensive end and is a decent tackler, so he has the potential to develop into a run-stopper. He also has long arms to get his hands up and knock passes down when he doesn't get to the quarterback. That's important because we don't see him getting to the quarterback very often. Although he's an adequate bull-rusher, he doesn't have great lateral ability or closing speed.

How he fits: Obviously the Redskins have taken advantage of the receivers falling on draft day. This team has lacked big and physical receivers who will open up the West Coast attack even more and the addition of Kelly will help them open up Antwaan Randle El and Santana Moss. This pick, along with WR Devin Thomas, helps bolster a questionable receiving corps.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/news/story?id=3369383

I've been watching USC for a while now...living in SoCal. Fred Davis is one of the best, big bodied pass catching TE's I've seen in a while. And, he can run. As long as we use his talents and don't keep him in blocking I think he'll be an outstanding pick and a great compliment to Cooley and the other receivers. On a team with a great need to receivers who can go up and catch the ball, this was a solid choice.

HTTR

51. Washington Redskins

The pick: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

What he brings: Campbell has great size for a defensive end and is a decent tackler, so he has the potential to develop into a run-stopper. He also has long arms to get his hands up and knock passes down when he doesn't get to the quarterback. That's important because we don't see him getting to the quarterback very often. Although he's an adequate bull-rusher, he doesn't have great lateral ability or closing speed.

Ummm... what?

I was at redskins draft day, and at first I wasnt too sure about why we traded our ONLY first round draft choice and what was going on exactly...

But to see how things turned out getting 2 2nd rounders was problably the best decision cause we got the recievers we wanted/needed and paid half the price

For those of you who are not too happy with the pick of Fred Davis I have an explanation for ya.

Zorn offense is very different from Gibbs offense and we needed another really good TE. With that said:

The pick: Fred Davis, TE, USC

What he brings: There were concerns about Davis' ability to stretch the field before the combine, and his slow 40 time backed up what we saw on film. He isn't an overwhelming in-line blocker, either, but does a good job getting in position and fights to sustain his blocks. In addition, he has the athletic ability, big hands and long arms to emerge as a reliable possession receiver.

How he fits: Based on the offensive scheme Jim Zorn will run, the two-tight end packages will be key. Davis will allow the Redskins to move TE Chris Cooley all over and create mismatches on offense. There were no other quality tight ends on the roster and Davis fills this need for Washington.

Go Skins!

After tomorrow our dynasty begins!

:laugh: Imagine being a 5'10, 195-pound CB lining up in the dime. Fred Davis is on the line next to Jansen...and you look across from you - you're lined up in man coverage on 6'3", 255 CHRIS ****ING COOLEY.

Oh...and El's in the other slot next to Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly.

I think all of the D-Coordinators in our division just grew nine extra gray hairs - three for Davis, three for Thomas, and three for Kelly.

:laugh: Imagine being a 5'10, 195-pound CB lining up in the dime. Fred Davis is on the line next to Jansen...and you look across from you - you're lined up in man coverage on 6'3", 255 CHRIS ****ING COOLEY.

The safeties and LB's will be covering those guys, not CB's. Somehow I don't see them shaking in their boots. The secondaries in the NFCE are top-notch.

Davis = Buck Ortega Pt II.

Oh...and El's in the other slot next to Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly.

I think all of the D-Coordinators in our division just grew nine extra gray hairs - three for Davis, three for Thomas, and three for Kelly.

You may see Davis lined up at FB across from Portis at times as well.

Having Davis along with Kelly and Thomas is what Zorn told Vinny that he wanted.

I have a feeling that tomorrow is all about the lineman.

This is an awesome pick, in my estimation.

He is definitely the best TE in the draft. He knows the west coast offense already. He will compliment Cooley, not compete with him.

Score one for Zorn over his old team. Many people predicted Seattle would pick up Davis.

I don't know, something doesn't jive with this pick for me. I know it's probably no commentary on how the team feels about Cooley, and Davis is a very good player... but it doesn't smell right that they drafted a TE in the second round when there were other players available who could have filled needs at that pick (e.g. Quentin Groves or Calais Campbell, who were both on the board at that point). I'm fairly certain that if Davis was their man, they could have gotten him 3 picks later where they picked Kelly (which is a pick I don't like, but that's for another thread).

I don't know, something doesn't jive with this pick for me. I know it's probably no commentary on how the team feels about Cooley, and Davis is a very good player... but it doesn't smell right that they drafted a TE in the second round when there were other players available who could have filled needs at that pick (e.g. Quentin Groves or Calais Campbell, who were both on the board at that point). I'm fairly certain that if Davis was their man, they could have gotten him 3 picks later where they picked Kelly (which is a pick I don't like, but that's for another thread).

Could it have possibly been that they scouted both Groves and Campbell and neither rated to a 2nd round pick for them? Remember there are 5 more rounds to go.

Davis was there and Zorn jumped on the chance to draft him, plain and simple.

Archived