Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Fred Davis- Videos, Scouting, Rationalle, Thoughts, Etc.

skins86

I'm worried about this pick. Clearly Davis has skills, and Zorn needed another TE, but I'm not sure he has the work ethic to be a good player. I would have taken a DE like Campbell or Groves and found a TE later in the draft.

Where is this unfounded concern from? Where is it stated in any scouting report that he has a poor work ethic?

I've watched a lot of Fred Davis college games. He's definitely a very good receiving TE prospect - he has excellent route running skills and hands. I don't think he's as good of a receiver as Cooley, particularly with the ball in his hands - Cooley is IMHO second to none (and yes, I mean that) with the ball in his hands as a TE in the NFL. His blocking needs some work, but his route running and hands are excellent. I think he'll be a good compliment to Cooley and should open things up for Campbell and Portis.

I think I'd rather that we'd taken Calais Campbell, but we definitely got good value for our pick here.

The thing about this pick that makes me wonder... Chris Cooley was Joe Gibbs guy and was drafted as an Hback. Basicacly a hybrid TE. Now that there is a new offense with the West Coast, does that fact and this pick mean that they feel Cooly may not fit and be as successful as he was in Joe Gibbs/Saunders (the coriell system) offense?

That's what concerns me most about this pick and it being this high. Not only that, but I thought Todd Yoder was outstanding for us in his role last year.

The thing about this pick that makes me wonder... Chris Cooley was Joe Gibbs guy and was drafted as an Hback. Basicacly a hybrid TE. Now that there is a new offense with the West Coast, does that fact and this pick mean that they feel Cooly may not fit and be as successful as he was in Joe Gibbs/Saunders (the coriell system) offense?

That's what concerns me most about this pick and it being this high. Not only that, but I thought Todd Yoder was outstanding for us in his role last year.

Yes, Yoder was outstanding last year in the role asked of him.

Coach Change!

Perhaps Yoders strengths don't match what Zorn wants to do, and he took the chance to pick him up.

When the the ocean dries up, you get out of the boat, and find a horse.

For all those who are mad at us drafting a TE. You are all the ones who were all complaining last year about us drafting another freakin Safety huh. If you can scout talent better why dont you drop an application into the Skins office and get the job then. I am EXCITED about the potential that our Offense now has!

For those of you who are not too happy with the pick of Fred Davis I have an explanation for ya.

Zorn offense is very different from Gibbs offense and we needed another really good TE. With that said:

The pick: Fred Davis, TE, USC

What he brings: There were concerns about Davis' ability to stretch the field before the combine, and his slow 40 time backed up what we saw on film. He isn't an overwhelming in-line blocker, either, but does a good job getting in position and fights to sustain his blocks. In addition, he has the athletic ability, big hands and long arms to emerge as a reliable possession receiver.

How he fits: Based on the offensive scheme Jim Zorn will run, the two-tight end packages will be key. Davis will allow the Redskins to move TE Chris Cooley all over and create mismatches on offense. There were no other quality tight ends on the roster and Davis fills this need for Washington.

Go Skins!

After tomorrow our dynasty begins!

This was my thought...how will drafting a guy like Davis affect Cooley and Sellers. I can see situations where Davis and Cooley are on the field lined up at TE, then have Cooley either split out to the slot or shift back to the FB position. I think Zorn realizes how versatile Cooley is and having a weapon like Davis allows him to utilize Cooley in many creative ways.

Davis can run the ball as well. He will create so many mis matches. Who knows where he and Cooley will end up playing on given downs. This opens up so many options.

I didn't like the pick at first, but it's certainly growing on me. We have a lot of weapons now. Hopefully today, we sure up the O line and i'll be happy.

Next year we can fix our D, which isn't all that bad going into this year.

The safeties and LB's will be covering those guys, not CB's. Somehow I don't see them shaking in their boots. The secondaries in the NFCE are top-notch.

Davis = Buck Ortega Pt II.

Dude you are smoking angel dust if you think that Fred davis is going to be like Buck Ortega.

I should take your Football Knowledge card.

If we wanted a #2 TE why not take one later? This was nowhere near as pressing of a need as DE, DT, CB, OL depth, OLB, or S.

The fact that Anthony Fasano was packaged with another player for a 4th round pick speaks volumes to me.

The volumes that that speaks to me is that Jerry Jones doesn't know WTF he's doing as GM - most people think Miami took Dallas to the cleaners with that trade.

Fred Davis is a very good TE prospect who many thought was the best TE in this draft. He performed in a major conference in a pro style offense despite the fact that he had next to no help all year long from USC's young/inconsistent WR corps. He's in short good enough that I'm willing to overlook need when you can get a guy like that where we got him in the draft.

Archived