Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Devin Thomas?

The Fourth King

I didn't think we'd be in position to get this guy, I would have been happy with Kelly.

Looking at highlights of Thomas, I'm seeing a lot of Chad Johnson in his moves, running style and hands. So, we got our own Chad Johnson without having to give up future picks. Nice job Skins!!

I don't think he will fall to 21 though, we will have to move up to get him, which I am skeptical about. Although WR is clearly our bigggest area of need. How can we go into the season with El and Moss and virtually nothing behind them? Moss will probably play in 11-12 games, what do you do for those that he misses? Start El and Mix? I know we can draft someone in the second round, but we need a number 1 receiver for the future, not just someone to complement our current guys.

Foot...Mouth. I'm glad you aren't the SKins GM.

Is he the prototypical receiver we need? Whats his height and weight? Do you think he'll start this? As #3 in place of Caldewell? Does he have "sure" hands?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't watch any College football. AT ALL.

Reading the analysis on him on NFL.com he sounds like he could REALLY be what we're needing at wr.

Wait, his sophomore year he had what 6 catches and a good year as a junior, which makes this guy a one year wonder. IMO an unproven draft pick at a position that we really don't need help at.

Guess im skeptical.

really dont need help at? .... are you serious? .... you seriously didnt watch last couple years i guess but whatever

timtim: I agree he is a bit of an unknown...but if you saw his interview on espn.com he has a chip on his shoulder. scouts called him out as a 1 year wonder and he said he is out to disprove that. i don't know about you but i like players that play with a chip on their shoulder. on top of that, he dropped out of the first round, was picked after avery, AND espn cut to a commercial and barely talked about him after he was picked. i'm sure he feels very disrespected.

Wait, his sophomore year he had what 6 catches and a good year as a junior, which makes this guy a one year wonder. IMO an unproven draft pick at a position that we really don't need help at.

Guess im skeptical.

Dude what are you talking about? A position we don't need help at? You're not skeptical, you're something else.:doh:

I was not a wide receiver guy prior to this draft at 21. But in terms of value, I just can't fault this pick in the least. The best WR prospect in the draft, rated to be a mid 1st rounder and we snagged him in the 2nd. Good job FO.

I just hope they follow up with some linemen with our other picks. If not, then my mood might begin to sour. But right now, I'm happy with the selection.

Thomas is I believe 6'3. Same as Malcolm Kelly. but Better!
What's his size anyway...?Is he 6'3"...?

He's 6'1" 1/2.

I'm sorry, I just don't share the same enthusiasm as you guys. I didn't want him. I wanted Jordy Nelson, who was taken one pick later. I'm worried this is a repeat of what happened when I wanted Santana Moss and we picked Rod Gardner, one pick before Moss.

I hope Thomas doesn't bust.

I was not a wide receiver guy prior to this draft at 21. But in terms of value, I just can't fault this pick in the least. The best WR prospect in the draft, rated to be a mid 1st rounder and we snagged him in the 2nd. Good job FO.

I just hope they follow up with some linemen with our other picks. If not, then my mood might begin to sour. But right now, I'm happy with the selection.

the Skins are doing the best they can...but the bottom line is that they cannot repair the age problems and fix the pass rush problems in this draft given the picks they have and where they fall. the lines are the long run achilles heel for this team......my hope is that we draft a guard or center next to fix the civ that is the center of our line. whoever we draft at DE is a project and will not deliver much next season.

Here's the ESPN Scouts INC write up on him. If you ask me, he fits what we need at WR to a T. I like it a lot. Our offense needs what he's supposed to be, let's see if he can do it.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=12247

Strengths: Possesses adequate-to-good height with a sturdy build for a wide receiver. Very smooth and fluid. Displays outstanding hands. Can consistently catch over his head. Strong hands to pluck in traffic. Can snatch the ball on the run with very little wasted motion. Is a treat after the catch. Does not possess elite initial burst but he does display a second-gear to run away from defenders once he gets going (see 2nd quarter vs. Wisconsin). He is a silky smooth runner with excellent vision and body control. Sees the entire field and shows the change-of-direction ability to make sharp cuts without losing speed. Is strong and will drag some defenders for extra yards after the catch. Was effective in the times we saw him take hand offs in the backfield and might have a future as a kick return man in the NFL. Has bulk and strength to sustain blocks when he's in position. Also flashes a mean streak.

Weaknesses: More dangerous after the catch than he is as a vertical route runner. Lacks ideal experience at the highest collegiate level. Still needs polishing as a route runner. Rounds off many of his routes. Not crisp enough to consistently separate from tight man-to-man coverage. Needs to improve his array of release moves versus press coverage at the line of scrimmage. Takes a bit too long to reach top speed. Doesn't always sell routes on play-action runs. Can sustain his blocks once locked on but takes some poor angles and doesn't always get in good position. Effort as a blocker is inconsistent.

Overall: After proving his explosiveness and versatility by averaging 105.5 all-purpose yards at Coffeyville CC in 2005, Thomas enrolled at Michigan State. He played 10 games in his first season in East Lansing, but finished with just six receptions, 90 receiving yards and a touchdown. He broke out as a junior last season, playing in all 13 games and delivering 79 catches, eight TDs and a Big Ten-best 1,260 receiving yards for a Spartans offense that relied heavily on the run. He added 177 rushing yards on 27 carries and starred as a return man, averaging 29.1 on 39 kickoff returns. Compared to most prospects, there's very little information to go off of when evaluating Thomas. He only played one year at the FBS level and, as an underclassman entry, he was not able to compete in a post-season all-star game. His inexperience and lack of exposure naturally creates some doubt. However, the more film we study of Thomas the more impressed we are with his overall physical tools. He possesses the size, athleticism and hands of a future starter in the NFL, which is why we graded Thomas out in the second round. He will fit best in a West Coast system, where his run-after-catch ability will be maximized.

by moving back in the draft and accumulating picks the Redskins are building depth for the future, for a transition to a younger team down the road.

there really is nothing that can be done for 2008 but hold your breath and hope that guys like Jansen, Thomas, Griffin, Washington, Springs, etc. stay healthy and are productive given the salary cap hit is too large to cut any of these players.

Thomas is going to be a good football player. Like Campbell, he is going to be a work in progress.

With Gibbs' departure and the failure to take that step up in 2006 following the playoff berth in 2005, the Redskins are at the BEGINNING of another cycle.

This is going to take 2-3 years to come around again in position.

Archived