Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

limas vs malcom

bertoskins

Sweed stayed in school an extra year to hone his route running ability and would be the better option if we are to go with a WR in the 1st round.

I like Kelly, but only for the 2nd round. However his degenerative knee problem could be a major concern. I believe James Hardy or Jordy Nelson may be the safer bet, hence in the 2nd round.

I know I'm getting of track here, but at 21 I'd love to have Phillip Merling.

Malcom Kelly easily! If you watched games of the two or heck go to youtube and watch highlights. Kelly makes circus catches, runs very very well after the catch, and blocks extremely well. Sweed goes down 99% of the time by the first person who touches him. The highlights dont lie. I want to see a guy who can do something after the catch.

How can you honestly say Sweed or Kelly and its not even close? Ive seen it both ways of people saying one or the other and its not even close. Thats just ridiculus. Both had good careers in college not great....both have slight injury concerns...both are big and both catch the ball well. I perfer kelly, but would not mind at all if it was sweed.

Below is a paste of a post by Mistertim currently in the "How pissed would you be if we drafted Malcolm Kelly" thread. It's an excellent comparitive analysis of the two players...

Sorry about the delay on this, morpheus. I have seen Sweed play a good amount and I have seen Kelly play some, but not as much. In my opinion Sweed is a better player overall and a safer choice (especially at 21). I have many reasons for preferring Sweed; I actually wrote a very long post about it when asked before about his positives and negatives.

Sweed and Kelly both have great size, and great hands. I think Sweed has more potential to be a vertical threat (he seemed to always have more steps on his man than Kelly did on long balls thrown to him), though Kelly does seem to play faster than his 40 times indicate. They are both good at beating press coverage but Sweed seems to be able to gobble up a CB's cushion faster since, from what I've seen, he has a very good burst off of the line (had a faster 10 yard dash than Kelly which is at least a little bit of a measurable for that). The knock on Sweed as far as press coverage goes is that he can actually be TOO physical, meaning that he ends up spending too much time at war with a CB and every once in a while will take himself out of a play because of it.

As far as route running goes I give Sweed a slight advantage here. Yes he does round out routes from time to time but I have also seen him make breaks on his routes and literally leave guys (good CBs, not just scrubs) face down on the turf. Once he works on that to where he consistently minimizes his steps in breaks and comebacks and consistently lowers his weight more while doing so, he could be pretty lethal. Kelly is a solid route runner and makes good cuts and knows when to break off of his routes, but from what I've seen he tends to round his routes off too much.

Kelly adjusts well to balls and is pretty good with jump balls but to be honest, simply from what I've seen myself, Sweed is better. Not to say Kelly isn't good, Sweed is just excellent at it. He can adjust his body extremely well on the ground or in the air to box out a defender. There was one play I remember and that they actually showed on the NFL Network where he was running a fade route to the corner of the end zone (it was probably about a 20 yard pass or so). The CB was covering well and right on Sweed's left hip. Sweed looked over his left shoulder to locate the ball and then instead of turning that way and just depending on his ability to out-jump the CB who would have been in front of him, he actually turned back the other way, boxing the CB out while relocating the ball and jumping up for it to come down with a TD. It was not only a great play physically but mentally too.

So that comes to another point: experience. One of the main reasons it takes WRs and QBs more time to adjust to the NFL game (or that sometimes they just can't) is the speed. It takes time for things to slow down for them since they're doing so much. A guy who has played in a complex system in college for longer has a better chance of being ready faster. Kirwan actually said in his WR evaluations "Sweed will not be in the dark when he lines up against NFL secondary, while some of the other candidates just might be lost." Overall I think Sweed is just more polished and NFL ready. He said himself that he knew he was ready for the NFL when the college game slowed down considerably for him. An additional plus is burst and overall athleticism which are generally measured using the broad jump and vertical leap. Sweed had 5 1/2 inch higher vertical than Kelly, and he had a broad jump that was a foot longer.

Finally, character, work ethic, and injury. While some say it, Sweed is not injury prone. His wrist injury is the first major injury he has had. Before that he started in 30 some consecutive games. Even after he injured it before the season began he played in great pain in 6 games before finally having to call it quits. He is a tough dude. Also don't believe the hype; he isn't afraid of contact and will go across the middle. However, Texas used him more as a vertical threat than Oklahoma used Kelly as a vertical threat. But I have seen Sweed run pretty much any route you can think of and do it well. I've also seen him take some big hits and hold on to the ball just fine. From everything I've read, seen, and heard Sweed has great character and work ethic and works extremely hard to be the best and is pretty much an anti-primadonna. I have no idea what Kelly's work ethic is like. I'll assume it is good since his coach has spoken highly of it. However, I have to admit that his tantrum after he ran a slow time made me think he is a bit immature. I'm sure his frustration was understandable but he should have been able to keep his head on his shoulders better than he did.

I could be wrong, I could be right. Kelly could turn out to be great for all I know. But given everything: talent, experience, intangibles, character...I just don't see why someone would go with Kelly over Sweed. But again, that is just me.

i think the question is which wide receiver has the potential to be a big time pro receiver. mr. kelly, has the size, strength, and adequate speed to perform. speed is nice, but, ability to catch the ball in a crowd, and get yardage after the catch is more important. i am sure def backs would not like to cover mr. kelly.

Archived