Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My friend thinks Deion Sanders is better than Darrell Green

redskins0756

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Deion was phenomenal in coverage and returning punts. However most teams learned the secret about beating Deion...run at right at him!

Darrell was the complete package...not only could he cover but he knew how to make an open-field tackle...not just shove the guy out of bounds.

Darrell Green running down Tony Dorsett...all you need to know

And that's exactly right. Tony Dorsett, Curtis Martin, Napolean Kaufmann ... for every TD Sanders scored on and INT return, there was a TD Green saved by running a star RB down from behind. Green absolutely crushes Deion in tackles. Hell, as a rookie Green led his team in the category. For their careers, Deion averaged 35 tackles a season, Green 58.

And not to nitpick, but if Deion scored 19TDs Green scored 8, not 6. Green also had two fumble returns for TDs. Also, stop saying Deion only played for 12 seasons. He played for 14.

And for all those swooning over Deion's punt return abilities, just remember that was a job Green wasn't asked to do, but he absolutely could do it. Green returned 51 punts in the regular season over the course of his career. He averaged 12 yards a return, which would put him 11th on the ALL-TIME yard/return list.

Deion is 50th on that same list.

We also know Darrell could return punts for TDs himself, as seen by his game-winning TD against the Bears in the playoffs en route to SB22.

So let's not pretend that Deion was so much stronger in that area.

And that's exactly right. Tony Dorsett, Curtis Martin, Napolean Kaufmann ... for every TD Sanders scored on and INT return, there was a TD Green saved by running a star RB down from behind. Green absolutely crushes Deion in tackles. Hell, as a rookie Green led his team in the category. For their careers, Deion averaged 35 tackles a season, Green 58.

And not to nitpick, but if Deion scored 19TDs Green scored 8, not 6. Green also had two fumble returns for TDs. Also, stop saying Deion only played for 12 seasons. He played for 14.

And for all those swooning over Deion's punt return abilities, just remember that was a job Green wasn't asked to do, but he absolutely could do it. Green returned 51 punts in the regular season over the course of his career. He averaged 12 yards a return, which would put him 11th on the ALL-TIME yard/return list.

Deion is 50th on that same list.

We also know Darrell could return punts for TDs himself, as seen by his game-winning TD against the Bears in the playoffs en route to SB22.

So let's not pretend that Deion was so much stronger in that area.

The Greatest Returners in NFL History.

10. Mel Gray. Much like the No. 2 spot on SportsCenter's "Top Plays," I considered throwing something here that didn't really fit, my version of a full-court shot by a JV player on grainy HandyCam footage. I thought about Troy Brown (for being my favorite player), Steve Smith (for his guts in continuing to return punts despite being one of the best wideouts in the league) or Josh Cribbs (cuz let's face it, the young gunna is sick). But Gray's gotta get some props for being the most abused kick returner ever. On some terrible teams, he got plenty of kick return chances, and as a result built up 10,250 kick return yards and six kick return touchdowns.

9. Dave Meggett. Distinguishes himself as the one guy who was consistently a factor on winning teams. He opened his career with 1,159 return yards for the 1989 New York Giants (who were kind of awesome), and was the return workhorse for those Big Blue teams before taking his act to New England in 1995. In typical fashion, he compiled 1,369 return yards for the 1996 Patriots team that went to the Super Bowl.

8. Gale Sayers. People who scoff at his Hall of Fame inclusion often focus on his rushing numbers and overlook his return stats. The guy averaged 30.56 yards per kickoff return, an amount so obscene it's no surprise it's an NFL record. He is also tied for the all-time lead in kickoff return touchdowns with six. (Trivia quiz: Can you name the other two players on this list who are tied with Sayers in this category?)

7. Desmond Howard. The only return man to single-handedly win a Super Bowl. Alright, so some guy named Brett Favre had a little to do with it, but it wasn't No. 4 who broke the Pats' will with a kickoff return touchdown and 244 total return yards. Yikes. He also had six punt return touchdowns in his career with six teams.

6. Eric Metcalf. Anyone who calls Devin Hester the best returner ever should be required to recite Metcalf's statistics. In addition to holding the NFL record with 10 punt return touchdowns, the Seattle product holds the distinction of being almost as good at playing his position as he was at returning (a rarity on this list). Metcalf made three Pro Bowls and made 104 receptions with Atlanta in 1995.

5. Dante Hall. Should Hester ever break down the door and win an MVP award for his return excellence, he'll have Hall to thank for sticking his foot in the door jamb. For a guy who only really had three good seasons, it didn't take Hall long to pull into second on the all-time return touchdowns list with 12.

4. Billy Johnson. When the NFL put together its 75th Anniversary Team, it chose "White Shoes" to be its returner. In 14 seasons, primarily as an Oiler and Falcon, Johnson made three Pro Bowls and twice led the league in yards per touch. Unfortunately, he was no Dave Meggett. He played in one playoff game, and largely watched as his Oilers were pounded, 27-7, by the Raiders.

3. Deion Sanders. He's the nastiest cornerback ever, and if I were counting interception returns as "returns," he'd be No. 1, but I'm not. The merit lies in the look of pure fear and the "Aw, sh*t" opposing fans uttered any time Deion went back to return a boot. By the way, I can't resist posting this photo.

2. Devin Hester. Someday very, very soon, Hester will more likely than not ascend to the top of the list. He's already second in return TDs in 32 games, about a fifth of long-timers like Meggett or Mitchell. The only reason he's not No. 1 in my mind is because if he gets Jason Sehorned in the season opener next season and never returns another kick or punt for TD, he'd still deserve No. 2, whereas it'd be harder to justify knocking him down a peg.

1. Brian Mitchell. Longevity does matter. Certainly, Hester may end up shattering Mitchell's league-record 13 return touchdowns by the time Hester reaches the 223 game mark, but until that happens, Mitchell remains the godfather of return men. His two highest marks in punt returns and yards came 11 years apart -- at 23, he had 45 returns for 600 yards in 1991 for the Redskins; at 34, he had 46 returns for 567 yards. In between, he was pretty damn good, too.

Green was good also but his argument falls under the "woulda, shoulda" category! If Bo Jackson didn't get hurt he would of.............................

If Barry Sanders didn't retire he would of......................................

If Darrell Green would of return punts like Deion..............................

Plus if Green was so great at returning punts why wouldn't Gibbs want him back there all the time?? Just a thought.

There is little doubt how this cuts outside of Redskins Nation:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dreamteams/08/13/alltime/index.html

46 Greatest Players of All Time

DEFENSIVE BACKS

deionsanders.jpg

CB | Deion Sanders | Atlanta Falcons (1989-93), San Francisco 49ers (1994), Dallas Cowboys (1995-99), Washington Redskins (2000), Baltimore Ravens (2004-05) I feel bad putting a non-tackler on this defense. Butkus would have hated him. But the fact is, Sanders is the best cover corner in NFL history, and there's no room for arguments.

ronnielott.jpg

SS | Ronnie Lott | San Francisco 49ers (1981-90), Los Angeles Raiders (1991-92), New York Jets (1993-94) Let's face it: In the era of football we all know best, no secondary player has been as feared and respected as Lott, the best combination of hitter, cover safety and corner in football history.

sammybaugh.jpg

FS | Sammy Baugh | Washington Redskins (1937-52) He's here not because he was the second-best safety of all time, but because he deserves two roles on this team (he's also my punter). The most versatile great player ever. Quarterbacked, too.

nighttrainlane.jpg

CB | Night Train Lane | Los Angeles Rams (1952-53), Chicago Cardinals (1954-59), Detroit Lions (1960-65) Nice debut in 1952: 14 interceptions led the league ... in a 12-game season!

ESPN's Top 10 NFL Players of all time

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview04/news/story?id=1868175

Others receiving votes (points): Anthony Munoz (12), Jack Lambert (10), Dan Marino (9), Jim Parker (8), Dick "Night Train" Lane (7), Ray Lewis (7), Mel Blount (6), Barry Sanders (5), Mike Webster (4), Deion Sanders (4), Rod Woodson (4), Ronnie Lott (3), Bart Starr (2), Bob Lilly (2), Emmitt Smith (1), Joe Greene (1)

Sporting News Top 100 List of Great NFL PLayers

http://www.greatsportsrivalries.com/sn_top100_nflpalyers.html

37. Deion Sanders

81. Darrell Green

I love Darrell as much as a player can be loved, and I would take him in a heartbeat because of who he is.

But if the question who was a greater CB, there isn't much question.

Deion, only went for the pick. Yes, teams didn't throw his way, because 1 out of 4 times throwing it his way he'd have a chance of taking it the other way. However, if you ever actually watched his career, 3 of those 4 times he got burned because if the receiver caught the ball, the most you'd get from him is a hang onto the receiver and beg for safety help. I wouldn't doubt it one bit if he had more INT's than tackles for a career.

Actually this is something I remember of Deion esspecaially in Dallas... Okay if the ball came his way he might take it back for 6 he might knock it down or he might get burnt... there was little medium ground . As others have said one of Deions greatest strengths was baiting the QB to throw to the "open" guy but this meant he relied on his make up speed to make the play and make up for the fact he was often out of possition .

In Dallas he also had the benifit of playing with one of the best safties to play the game in Darren Woodson...i m anot using that to knock the guy but it something to consider when comparing careers, who the supporting cast were...

Deion ONLY had speed. Once he lost a step his whole career went to ****.

DG had the whole package. He could outrun 99% of the NFL, he could lay a hat on you and he could also return punts (Bears game pulled abdominal muscle).

Deion was classless and made himself a character with his "Prime Time" idiotic stunts. Darrell was classy and let his play and actions in the community make him the star.

Oh, I concede that the media loves Deion. He's one of them now, and when he wasn't he was inventing dances and giving out great soundbites. ESPN loves that crap.

So who was better at causing the media to swoon?

No contest. Deion.

Plus if Green was so great at returning punts why wouldn't Gibbs want him back there all the time?? Just a thought.

Probably because Darrell was such a good corner that Gibbs wanted him to stay fresh for that position. It might explain why Darrell started every single game for 13 of the first 17 seasons of his career, while Deion only did so once.

If Darrell Green were a more flashy player..demanding the spotlight....would more people think hes the greatest CB...??...I never saw DG highstep into an endzone...DG didn't show off for anybody to get attention..The fact that DG played the game as the game is supposed to be played without the self elevated hype...and still is fighting Deion for best CB....proves that he is the best CB.

Maybe Deion would be better on Dancing with the Stars, but on the football field DG all the way.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know. What a tool.

Don't fall for the hype. Peon may be the most overrated cover man in league history. Great return guy but not a great cover guy. And I think he made like 3 career tackles. Dude was scared of running backs. Hell he was too lazy to even walk over to the defensive huddle.

Oh, I concede that the media loves Deion. He's one of them now, and when he wasn't he was inventing dances and giving out great soundbites. ESPN loves that crap.

So who was better at causing the media to swoon?

No contest. Deion.

Probably because Darrell was such a good corner that Gibbs wanted him to stay fresh for that position. It might explain why Darrell started every single game for 13 of the first 17 seasons of his career, while Deion only did so once.

Oh! I forgot we had Brian Mitchell returning kicks for us so green didn't have to.

I don't think this is a "media bias" issue.

Peter King stated "Sanders is the best cover corner in NFL history, and there's no room for arguments." His other DBs were Night Train Lane, Sammy Baugh, and Ronnie Lott. Are the other three on the list because of a media bias to flash?

Let's put it this way: can anyone find any source--other than a Redskins-focused souce--that says Green was a greater CB than Sanders? I doubt it.

I did a quick search, and it was obvious from every source that Sanders is considered to be greater than Green. Sanders got votes as a top 10 player of all time from the various ESPN writers. The Sporting News puts Sanders almost 50 slots higher on the top 100--it's not like one was #37 and the other was #38. These don't indicate a close call with the tie going to the flashy player. These indicate that there is no argument.

If I'm picking a team, I don't just pick who is greater. I pick who I want on my team. I pick Green even though Sanders is better. But if we are having an abstracted discussion about who is the greater player, there is no argument.

Peter King stated "Sanders is the best cover corner in NFL history, and there's no room for arguments." His other DBs were Night Train Lane, Sammy Baugh, and Ronnie Lott. Are the other three on the list because of a media bias to flash?

Let's put it this way: can anyone find any source--other than a Redskins-focused souce--that says Green was a greater CB than Sanders? I doubt it.

I did a quick search, and it was obvious from every source that Sanders is considered to be greater than Green. Sanders got votes as a top 10 player of all time from the various ESPN writers. The Sporting News puts Sanders almost 50 slots higher on the top 100--it's not like one was #37 and the other was #38. These don't indicate a close call with the tie going to the flashy player. These indicate that there is no argument.

If I'm picking a team, I don't just pick who is greater. I pick who I want on my team. I pick Green even though Sanders is better. But if we are having an abstracted discussion about who is the greater player, there is no argument.

True! I did same search found nothing!:2cents:

Peter King stated "Sanders is the best cover corner in NFL history, and there's no room for arguments." His other DBs were Night Train Lane, Sammy Baugh, and Ronnie Lott.
Considering how little that coffee drinking, airport loving, lacrosse watching fat tub of **** knows about football...I'd take his opinion on anything football related with a huge mountain of salt.

What I think is, that some players develop this 'cult of personality' following that paints them as better than they really are. Sanders is one of those guys.

I don't think anyone is biased against Green. He's on the short list of best DBs to ever play. He should be. So should Sanders. But yes, I think Sanders gets a little extra because he was flashy, and people like flashy. That's why Barry Sanders is #12 on that list while Emmitt Smith is #68. Are you telling me Smith/Sanders isn't up for debate?

Considering how little that coffee drinking, airport loving, lacrosse watching fat tub of **** knows about football...I'd take his opinion on anything football related with a huge mountain of salt.

So do you dispute the inclusion of Sammy Baugh at FS?

I'm betting you think that one is probably dead on. :wink:

Incidentally, given your contention that Peter King is not a realiable source, can you find any reliable source that holds the contrary position that Green was a better CB than Deion?

Lets compare career stats...

Green vs Sanders

...................... G.... TOT ..SOLO AST PD .SACK .FF REC INT YDS .TD

Green-....Career .295 .1202 .989 ..213 131 .1.0 ...5 ..0 ...54 ..621 ..6

Sanders- Career .188 .513 ..429 ...84 .123 .1.0 ...10 .0 ...53 .1331 .9

I think its a tie. Sanders was a game changer and Green was a better defender. They were strong in different areas IMO.

That's why Barry Sanders is #12 on that list while Emmitt Smith is #68. Are you telling me Smith/Sanders isn't up for debate?

No, I don't think it is. Barry was better every single season than Emmitt. Emmitt had one of the best--if not the best--offensive lines in history blocking for him, and Sanders was still better. The only thing Emmitt had on Barry is that Emmitt refused to bow out in his peak and went on another 6 seasons of getting 3 yard chunks.

______

Green is a great player, no doubt. But I think you are incorrect to say that Deion is considered better just because of "flash." Deion was a better cover corner than Green. Green was a better teammate and played much longer. He is no doubt one of the greatest CBs ever. But Deion was the greatest, and that's no insult to Green.

This is like Chamberlain vs. Kareem. Peak dominance vs. longevity.

So do you dispute the inclusion of Sammy Baugh at FS?

I'm betting you think that one is probably dead on. :wink:

Honestly, I don't know about Baugh at FS, because I never saw him play and that's a position you kind of need to watch to get a feel for. Maybe he was that good.

But if King is putting Baugh in as his punter, King's an idiot, and even Baugh himself would tell you so. Yes, Baugh led the league in punting a few times, but that's because he wasn't the team's starting punter. His job was to quick-kick it on third downs when there was noone to stop it from rolling down the field. This is why the year he led the league in punting he also led the league in blocked punts with three in just ten games, and why he's 9th all-time in blocked punts.

So no, I don't hold King's opinion in particularly high regard. He's clearly looking at numbers and flash, which is exactly what I'm talking about.

Archived