Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tommy Blake...

method man

Major mid- to late-round sleeper who draws comparisons to Dwight Freeney. He was a beast during his sophomore and junior years at TCU. Before this season, he was considered a top 10 pick. Unfortunately before his senior season he suffered from depression because he was receiving like 300 calls a day and could not handle all the pub and hype thrown his way. He had to take several weeks off before returning to school. He is a good kid who is a devout Baptist and he had an excellent Pro Day. Even with his problems and the draft approaching, he is still taking 13 credits this semester.

Basically a good kid who will drop due to a nightmare senior year who can be a guy that can supplant Daniels in a year or two. It's guys like him and Johnston from Gardner-Webb being the reasons I am not so hung up on taking a DE with our first 2 or 3 picks.

That's an interesting story.

He'll definitely drop as the NFL is not exactly kind to people with psychological issues.

Can you post his stats from his junior and senior seasons? Did he play at all during his senior season?

03/16/08 - The team that drafts TCU defensive end Tommy Blake will get a talented player who is being treated for depression and social anxiety disorder. There is no telling where he will be drafted. Blake had an outstanding pro day at TCU. “He did everything, and he worked hard,” Green Bay scout Alonzo Highsmith told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “He did what he needed to do, and that is prove he wants to play football at the next level and that he’s serious about it.” Blake weighed 272 pounds after weighing 287 at the East-West Game. He ran a 4.75 and benched 225 pounds 23 times. - John McClain, The Houston Chronicle

Well, I'd take a shot at him if he drops a round or two since we could afford to try him out. But I think there will be quite a few teams who aren't interested.

But after dealing with Montgomery's rookie season, I'm not sure Blache is interested in another possible project.

Sometimes a good dose of gridiron is the perfect cure for depression. Look at a bio of Devin Hester. As for replacing Philip Daniels, we might be looking at a year or two as opposed to two or three - and he'd probably have to knock off Chris Wilson first, who might take that position, especially if he manages to gain about 15 pounds or so...

Well, I'd take a shot at him if he drops a round or two since we could afford to try him out. But I think there will be quite a few teams who aren't interested.

But after dealing with Montgomery's rookie season, I'm not sure Blache is interested in another possible project.

The guy really is not that much of a project. He is a guy who is going to drop simply because of psychological issues. Unlike Monty, this guy actually produced in college.

My ideal draft for the first 3 rounds would be:

1. Branden Albert (looking impossible now though)

2. Dre Moore (Trevor Laws ain't gonna be there)

3a. Jordy Nelson

3b. Tommy Blake/Brian Johnston

Then later in the draft, I would target guys like Josh Johnson, Jack Ikegwonu, Barry Richardson, Andrew Crummey, Bobbie Williams, Ezra Butler, Terrell Thomas

The guy really is not that much of a project. He is a guy who is going to drop simply because of psychological issues. Unlike Monty, this guy actually produced in college.

Personally, I don't have an issue with his depression. I think the NFL is particularly behind the curve on these sorts of issues. Mainly I was just saying that Blache may worry about having to motivate him through a rough period. I don't know.

Regardless, Vinny keeps saying he wants a DT that can get pressure as opposed to a DE. And when you think about the fact that Vinny was involved in drafting Stubblefield and Bryant Young, I'm really starting to believe fully means it.

EDIT: I like you wish list. I haven't been following much, but Albert would be my top choice. I'm increasingly believing he'll go before we pick, though. I also keep reading Jordy Nelson as a 2nd rounder, but I really know nothing about him at all.

Anybody you pick from the 5th round on is essentially a project - its rare your going to find a guy that late who comes in and is ready to play significantly let alone start from day 1. Typically you are looking at QB, OL or DL projects or guys who can earn a living on teams while they try to develop into skill positions, DB's or linebackers.

I think using a 3rd rounder on him is entirely too risky - I would rather go after Kendall Langford who may still be there.

Thank you sir... big Kendall Langford fan, have no idea where he will land because I have seen him go everywhere from late third to being one of the comp picks in the 7th. I really hope the skins can land him.

Personally, I don't have an issue with his depression. I think the NFL is particularly behind the curve on these sorts of issues. Mainly I was just saying that Blache may worry about having to motivate him through a rough period. I don't know.

Regardless, Vinny keeps saying he wants a DT that can get pressure as opposed to a DE. And when you think about the fact that Vinny was involved in drafting Stubblefield and Bryant Young, I'm really starting to believe fully means it.

EDIT: I like you wish list. I haven't been following much, but Albert would be my top choice. I'm increasingly believing he'll go before we pick, though. I also keep reading Jordy Nelson as a 2nd rounder, but I really know nothing about him at all.

Well, I believe Vinny too, but that does not mean they can't also take a DE in this draft. This team could use 2 new pass rushers.

]']I'd rather have him and Brian Johnson in the later rounds than having Merling or Harvey in the 1st.

Exactly. Blake, if he can overcome his pscyhological issues, is possibly the best DE that will come out of this draft. He is a good guy...he's just had his problems.

Johnston looks like a real athlete who was productive at the college level. Yeah, he is a bit raw but the tools are there.

Major mid- to late-round sleeper who draws comparisons to Dwight Freeney.

Um, what? Dwight Freeney ran a 4.42 at 268 lbs. Notched 17.5 sacks his senior year (4.5 of Vick in one game) forced 8 fumbles and notched 27 TFLs! He also benched 500, squat 700 and had a 35 inch vertical.

My ideal draft for the first 3 rounds would be:

1. Branden Albert (looking impossible now though)

2. Dre Moore (Trevor Laws ain't gonna be there)

3a. Jordy Nelson

3b. Tommy Blake

That makes me far more excited than a mock draft really should. I say this time and again, but the great advantage that the Redskins have as a team, is a great family with strong leaders who can help guys with issues. Thats why i think we should lap up these guys who fall for non-football reasons. If you can sort those issues, you get a steal. Blake has shown he can produce, and I believe if he is looked after right, he will again.

Depression and social anxiety disorder? Not easy to overcome. I would put this guy in the same category as a player with "character" issues (although a psych issue has nothing to do with character). If you draft a guy with character issues (the PC term is "he made some juvenile mistakes") you hope he grows up and changes his behavior. The psych issues may become worse under stress. My guess is that a team may take a flyer on this guy but no earlier than round 5. JMHO.

Depression and social anxiety disorder? Not easy to overcome. I would put this guy in the same category as a player with "character" issues (although a psych issue has nothing to do with character). If you draft a guy with character issues (the PC term is "he made some juvenile mistakes") you hope he grows up and changes his behavior. The psych issues may become worse under stress. My guess is that a team may take a flyer on this guy but no earlier than round 5. JMHO.

I agree.

Not only that, but I dont buy this guy being a first rounder, less his psychological issues. Definitely not top 10.

I post an article about him awhile ago on this forum. In the SportingNews, they chronicled his bouts with Depression. Very Risky, but I don't think we are like the Bengals, who have a bunch of bad players. I think we have a great locker room with vets like Fletch, Marcus, Phillip, and Andre to take him under their wing

Um, what? Dwight Freeney ran a 4.42 at 268 lbs. Notched 17.5 sacks his senior year (4.5 of Vick in one game) forced 8 fumbles and notched 27 TFLs! He also benched 500, squat 700 and had a 35 inch vertical.

I believe that we're talking just about pure potential here. I know Freeney was an absolute Monster in college, but many scouts agree that Blake could be just as good if he just got his head right. I have heard the comparisons to Freeney as well....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived