Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn, not the only HC without experience

AFskinsfan

I tried searching for something to add this too and couldnt really find anything appropriate. Mods if I overlooked something please merge.

I keep hearing on NFL network and everywhere else that the Redskins are taking a big risk on Zorn because he's never been a HC or a Coordinator. Well I did a little looking around and guess what. Tony Sporano has never been one either, neither has Lane Kiffen or John Harbaugh (well he was as special team Coordinator, but that doesnt count). I got this information off of Wikipedia so I really dont know how reliable this is. I think Kiffen was an offensive coordinator at college, but so what Zorn. So I guess my point is how come these guys aren't getting the scrutiny that Zorn is? Im not saying its some kind of conspiracy, just curious as to why he is always singled out? Someone educate me!

Hail!

while I like you raising your points, you just brought up three names who don't necessarily strike fear into other teams.

It'd be more compelling if we had some legitimate coaches who've had success and what their beginnings are.

Also, the Redskins probably have a fanbase larger than any of the teams you've mentioned. As a result, we also get more scrutiny cause people assume we should be getting the best coach available regardless, and it doesn't look like we have right now. Though I sure as hell have faith and am excited!

Harbaugh is a moron he thinks baltimores starting QB is on their roster lol. Kinda bad when the only change a team that bad makes is they sign a guy on special teams. They definitely are more critical of Zorn then anybody else. The guy is real intelligent and he did a fantastic job in seattle. I think this move is going to be a great one because holmgren has produce some great coaches.

I tried searching for something to add this too and couldnt really find anything appropriate. Mods if I overlooked something please merge.

I keep hearing on NFL network and everywhere else that the Redskins are taking a big risk on Zorn because he's never been a HC or a Coordinator. Well I did a little looking around and guess what. Tony Sporano has never been one either, neither has Lane Kiffen or John Harbaugh (well he was as special team Coordinator, but that doesnt count). I got this information off of Wikipedia so I really dont know how reliable this is. I think Kiffen was an offensive coordinator at college, but so what Zorn. So I guess my point is how come these guys aren't getting the scrutiny that Zorn is? Im not saying its some kind of conspiracy, just curious as to why he is always singled out? Someone educate me!

Hail!

Did you notice who you are comparing us to? Those teams are starting from scratch Zorn is comming in and taking over a playoff team who was coached by a HOFer :whoknows: He has a bit more pressure on him and is in a different situation where if he doesn't win he might face a little more scrutiny

i was looking for this particular article but couldn't find it. But it mentions a few successful coaches that went from being a position coach straight to head coach. Didn't like 3 of them come from under Mike Holmgrem too?

I know one was Andy Reid, can't think of any others

I think Zorn will do fine. Why get somebody else's garbage? It does not bother me that he has limited experience. If a coach was so good he would be coaching not looking for a job. Zorn has a lot to prove, and i think that he is up to it. Maybe other future coaches will be compared to Zorn, instead of trying to find somebody to compare Zorn to.

while I like you raising your points, you just brought up three names who don't necessarily strike fear into other teams.

It'd be more compelling if we had some legitimate coaches who've had success and what their beginnings are.

Also, the Redskins probably have a fanbase larger than any of the teams you've mentioned. As a result, we also get more scrutiny cause people assume we should be getting the best coach available regardless, and it doesn't look like we have right now. Though I sure as hell have faith and am excited!

Herm Edwards went from a Defensive back coach to head coach and Andy Reid went from QB coach to HC. I would say both of them have had some success mostly Ried though.

Who cares? and Who do you rely on or put your faith in, ESPN, NFL Network, Mike & Mike, ESPN First Take, or any other sports writer to tell you that Jim Zorn is not HC material or are you going to give him a chance? All of these sports writers and analysts are as good as the weathermen. They take a guess and hope they are right. What makes them the expert on who is going to be a good HC or not? They crown Jerry Jones as a Genuis for all the hires he has made but has not had any better success than the Redskins. Why isn't he scrutinized for these lame-brained hires such as Gailey. Because they don't know s**t.

Who cares? and Who do you rely on or put your faith in, ESPN, NFL Network, Mike & Mike, ESPN First Take, or any other sports writer to tell you that Jim Zorn is not HC material or are you going to give him a chance? All of these sports writers and analysts are as good as the weathermen. They take a guess and hope they are right. What makes them the expert on who is going to be a good HC or not? They crown Jerry Jones as a Genuis for all the hires he has made but has not had any better success than the Redskins. Why isn't he scrutinized for these lame-brained hires such as Gailey. Because they don't know s**t.

I like Zorn and I think he is just what this team needs. He is young and eager to proove himself. Im sure he is willing to try anything. Gibbs was great, but I think his conservative style set the team back and didnt help them reach their full potential. Like I said, I like Zorn, I was only making an observation.

i was looking for this particular article but couldn't find it. But it mentions a few successful coaches that went from being a position coach straight to head coach. Didn't like 3 of them come from under Mike Holmgrem too?

I know one was Andy Reid, can't think of any others

Steve Mariucci and Andy Reid.

I feel too many people place too much emphasis on prior HC experience or calling plays. Sure, those things help but it is not like Z man doesn't know how to call a play. Being a former QB and then later a QB coach, he probably has more knowledge of what plays will work in certain situations than some of the best O coordinators.

Andy Reid! Ring a bell? Im sure someone has already enlightened you, but Im too lazy to read the entire thread.

I really like the hire. GW wouldn't have been the end of the world either. But, it didn't happen, so we move on.

I for one get sick of the re-hires. Not just in coaches, but players too. esp QB's. I know there's a lot of $$ involved and press scrutiny but I hope a new trend starts and the Skins (and others) have success with a "no-name" coach and other teams start to follow. Get some new blood in and get rid of all the old has beens that keep hanging around and failing year after year.

Teams need to quit hiring scared. Scared of the unproven and scared of what the mighty media might write about them.

i read that andy reid went from being a qb coach to a hc. i think he has had a little success.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: Also, everyone forgets, Steve Mariucci was also the QB coach for the packers when he was hired at SF.

It is news only because everyone likes to criticize the skins!:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

ALL head coaches were without experience at one point. I don't see all the hype.

*sigh*

Reading comprehension, folks. ;) OP said without HC or coordinator experience.

Certainly going to be hard to find a list of folk who were hired as an OC for two weeks before becoming HC, but technically Zorn was an OC... ;^D

Yeah, Reid and Herm "You play to win the game" haven't done horribly. Gotta tell you, though he isn't making waves, I've been a big fan of Herm's ever since that speech. Bet he knew KC's team colors before starting too.

ALL head coaches were without experience at one point. I don't see all the hype.

The point that all the mediots are making is that he doesn't even have OC experience. Although I belive qb coach is the 2nd most important coach in Seattle due to Mike Holmgren calling his own plays.

Archived