Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn, not the only HC without experience

AFskinsfan

Harbaugh is a moron he thinks baltimores starting QB is on their roster lol. Kinda bad when the only change a team that bad makes is they sign a guy on special teams. They definitely are more critical of Zorn then anybody else. The guy is real intelligent and he did a fantastic job in seattle. I think this move is going to be a great one because holmgren has produce some great coaches.

I'dlike to see Troy Smith get a fair shake at being the guy to be honest with you. I think he has a good chance to become something in the NFL.

ALL head coaches were without experience at one point. I don't see all the hype.

Pretty much, lets just hope he has a successful first campaign. Then they will be saying how they always thought he was a good coach, and they a knew one day he would be great.

:helmet:

I'dlike to see Troy Smith get a fair shake at being the guy to be honest with you. I think he has a good chance to become something in the NFL.

I wouldnt like any of them to get the chance because I hate the ravens. Troy Smith should have switched positions before coming into the nfl theres no way that guy is an inch over 5 foot 10...people in Baltimore think he can run but I hate to break it to Baltimore fans most QB's in the NFL can scramble just as well as he can. Hes not michael vick or vince young....and hes not Drew Brees....he will be a third stringer his whole career.

Not giving Gregg Williams the coaching job was a bad move. But I'm willing to give Zorn a chance. If Andy Reid can go from a QB coach to a head coach, then that shows that it can be done. The thing that Zorn has going for him is that this Redskins team is a playoff caliber team.

http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2008/02/29/the_nfl_coaching_tree_2008_pt_2.php

http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2008/02/22/the_nfl_coaching_tree_2008_pt_1.php

many of Mike holmgrens assistants went on to Head Coaching gigs. some did well some didn't. Here is part of an article I found. Some interesting stuff there.

Bill Walsh — Conventional wisdom places Walsh in the legendary Paul Brown Coaching Tree, since Walsh was an assistant to Brown for eight seasons. But everything else, including Walsh's offensive philosophies and personal statements — he hated Brown and has publicly credited Davis as his biggest influence — indicates that this is where he belongs.

he's talking about Al Davis

Mike Holmgren — Holmgren's coaching tree has considerably diminished in stature recently, but this is still an important addition to the Bill Walsh branch of Gillman's coaching forest.

The Mike Holmgren Coaching Tree

Bill Walsh's Coaching Tree is legendary, but most of the people who worked directly for Walsh have retired by now. With the exception of a nod in Mike Shanahan's direction, Walsh's legacy effectively runs through Holmgren now.

Mike Holmgren, SEA — It doesn't get much easier than this: Holmgren's roots are with Walsh. He was an offensive assistant for San Francisco from 1986-91, serving under Walsh and George Seifert, before bringing Walsh's "West Coast" Offense to Green Bay and then Seattle.

Jon Gruden, TB — He spent three years as Holmgren's wide receiver coach before moving to Philadelphia as offensive coordinator for another Holmgren assistant, Ray Rhodes. Former Raiders coach Bill Callahan, if he were still around, would be on Gruden's branch.

Dick Jauron, BUF — Aside from three years as Holmgren's defensive backs coach in Green Bay, he also worked for Holmgren disciple Steve Mariucci. I nearly listed Jauron under the Bill Parcells Tree, though, because of his four years as Tom Coughlin's defensive coordinator in Jacksonville. Both Coughlin and Jauron worked for Forrest Gregg in the late 1980s.

Jim Zorn, WAS — Washington's new head coach spent the last seven seasons as Holmgren's quarterbacks coach. It's probably fair to say that Jack Patera, Zorn's first coach in the NFL, also deserves some credit.

THE ANDY REID BRANCH

Andy Reid, PHI — Worked with Holmgren at BYU in the 1980s and again at Green Bay through most of the 1990s before taking Holmgren's version of the West Coast Offense to Philadelphia.

Brad Childress, MIN — Reid's offensive coordinator in Philadelphia, he was also part of the legendary Northern Arizona coaching staff that included Childress, Reid, Bill Callahan, and Marty Mornhinweg. He also has spent eight years at Wisconsin as an assistant for Badgers coach Barry Alvarez.

John Harbaugh, BAL — It's more than a little counter-intuitive, but the most dynamic wing of the Walsh Tree seems to run through Andy Reid at this point. Harbaugh spent nine years as an assistant to Reid. He also has roots with the University of Cincinnati, under head coaches Tim Murphy and Rick Minter.

Rising Star: Steve Spagnuolo — The sought-after defensive coordinator for the New York Giants, Spagnuolu spent eight years working for Reid with the Eagles.

Fired or Retired — Former Eagles and Packers HC Ray Rhodes, 49ers and Lions HC Steve Mariucci, Packers HC Mike Sherman, and Lions HC Marty Mornhinweg were all Holmgren disciples. Mornhinweg is Reid's top offensive assistant in Philadelphia. Former Raiders HC Bill Callahan is also in this tree via Jon Gruden, for whom he worked in Philadelphia and Oakland.

either u have the pedigree to be a HC or you dont. We shall see. Zorn could be the next Gibbs or he could be the next joker

As far as pedigree is concerned, Zorn has been around Holmgren for some time and we all know there have a number of head coaches that worked under him.

IMO it was a rash and risky decision made by our FO , although no big splashes on players , they took a huge risk with Zorn , whereas Gregg Williams should have been given that opportunity to continue from where we were last year. The chemistry would have still been there, and his leadership and aggressiveness and willing to win is exactly what we needed, and it was in our house....yet we missed out...

Just my opinion, although we have yet to see Zorn's product,the players seem to be open to his style of coaching and what he brings from seattle is looking good so far...

~ HTTR

I tried searching for something to add this too and couldnt really find anything appropriate. Mods if I overlooked something please merge.

I keep hearing on NFL network and everywhere else that the Redskins are taking a big risk on Zorn because he's never been a HC or a Coordinator. Well I did a little looking around and guess what. Tony Sporano has never been one either, neither has Lane Kiffen or John Harbaugh (well he was as special team Coordinator, but that doesnt count). I got this information off of Wikipedia so I really dont know how reliable this is. I think Kiffen was an offensive coordinator at college, but so what Zorn. So I guess my point is how come these guys aren't getting the scrutiny that Zorn is? Im not saying its some kind of conspiracy, just curious as to why he is always singled out? Someone educate me!

Hail!

Thank you for posting this, AFskinsfan. There will be a 25% bonus in this week's paycheck.

Sincerely,

Daniel M. Snyder

Your boss

Just my thought/inputs

Gibbs I took over from Allen. Allen had the personnel for a playoff capable team. Gibbs came in and finalized that. Gibb's II took over a totally dysfunctional team and got it to play off caliber. So, in effect, Zorn takes a Skins team that is playoff capable just as Gibbs I did. Zorn is going go to do great things. Just b/c one has not been listed as a head coach etc.. doesn't mean they won't do great things. He's been involved in a team with one of the greatest coaches of all time. He's listened/watched etc...He's seen what works and what doesn't. I'm in the USAF, and I have learned as much from the bad commanders as I have from bad ones. Zorn I'm sure has done the same. I'm psyched about season!!! Bring it ON!!!!!!

Just my thought/inputs

Gibbs I took over from Allen. Allen had the personnel for a playoff capable team. Gibbs came in and finalized that. Gibb's II took over a totally dysfunctional team and got it to play off caliber. So, in effect, Zorn takes a Skins team that is playoff capable just as Gibbs I did. Zorn is going go to do great things. Just b/c one has not been listed as a head coach etc.. doesn't mean they won't do great things. He's been involved in a team with one of the greatest coaches of all time. He's listened/watched etc...He's seen what works and what doesn't. I'm in the USAF, and I have learned as much from the bad commanders as I have from bad ones. Zorn I'm sure has done the same. I'm psyched about season!!! Bring it ON!!!!!!

Gibbs took over for Jack Pardee. Thanks for playing.

I think Zorn will do fine. Why get somebody else's garbage? It does not bother me that he has limited experience. If a coach was so good he would be coaching not looking for a job. Zorn has a lot to prove, and i think that he is up to it. Maybe other future coaches will be compared to Zorn, instead of trying to find somebody to compare Zorn to.

Exactly, I'd rather give a coach his first job, then his last job.

EDIT: Unless that coaches name is Joe Gibbs

Archived