Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has anyone been a Football Referee before?

RonJeremy

I was asked by a friend/business contact to referee football this fall for Pop Warner/High School (Varsity & JV) football.

I would be put in the Umpire position on the field. Apparently, at this level, it is the starting point for rookies. Basically, I would be making offside/false start/holding calls and blowing the play dead if I see it is over.

I would have training session starting in July and then start working scrimmages in August.

My concerns are:

1) Time factor

2) Parents/coaches being obnoxious *******s

3) I am in terrible shape

Positives are:

1) It should motivate me to get in better shape before July

2) I enjoy being around football

3) I would giving back to the community

If any of you have been a referee before please let me know about your experiences. Hopefully it will help me make my decision.

Thanks for your input!

As someone who has coached, not reffed ...

I agree with the positives ...

On the negatives:

Most refs are in awful shape - don't worry so much about that.

Pay isn't horrible - I've heard it makes for a nice 'surprise' Christmas bonus.

Parental abuse is something you can ignore if you want. But I'm sure the league has mechanisms to deal with it if it gets out of hand. You can always keep a handy supply of referee application forms to hand out to the obnoxious ones so they can apply for your job next year.:)

I was part of the "chain gang" and held the chains on the sidelines when I was a young lad.

Good luck to you though. Refs take a lot of abuse.

That's my concern. The friend who asked me to do this with him is VERY laid-back. He will laugh off the coaches and parents. I am also laid-back...but not as much as him. :)

Go for it RJ, sounds like a blast. Your first few games might be a bit tricky, but I'm sure nothing you couldn't handle.

Thanks.

Any games on Sunday's?? I see a potential conflict of interest here. ;)

Games are Friday night's and Saturday mornings. ;)

My concerns are:

2) Parents/coaches being obnoxious *******s

That's the simplest of your concerns.

I used to umpire baseball and was also commissioner of umpires. Just carry yourself as a mature adult (may be tough if it says RonJeremy on the back of your jersey :) ) and people usually calm down fast.

When I umped I was probably 20 years younger than most parents and coaches and they would go ballistic from time to time but I always responded with the kind of look I would give a 4 year old throwing a temper tantrum or just some rational calm down talk and they generally cooled it quick. Sometimes I would say, "Hey, there are kids here," calmly and as if they didn't already know and they got the picture real quick.

As someone who has coached, not reffed ...

I agree with the positives ...

On the negatives:

Most refs are in awful shape - don't worry so much about that.

Pay isn't horrible - I've heard it makes for a nice 'surprise' Christmas bonus.

Parental abuse is something you can ignore if you want. But I'm sure the league has mechanisms to deal with it if it gets out of hand. You can always keep a handy supply of referee application forms to hand out to the obnoxious ones so they can apply for your job next year.:)

I like the idea of handing the obnoxious ones an application. It fits into my smart ass nature. :D

Carry a video camera on the field with you and tape all the a-hole parents and coaches so you can put them on you tube.

Also, carry a disposable camera that you can turn into a taser if you are attacked. Good Luck.

Archived