Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Change of Jersey # to 21

LeoDC

I remember CP saying something along the lines of not being able wear his jersey number. maybe out of respect or something like that. I'm sure you could pull up some past threads where this was definitely discussed post ST's death.

In a couple years, someone is going to wear it, why not one of our best players take it now, so no bumb or rookie wears it, dishonoring the name.

i gotta disagree. even if they dont officially retire the number, i dont imagine too many players coming to redskins park and saying they want #21, and i couldnt imagine the organization being willing to give it to anyone.

as i said at the end of last season, if i were ever gonna see someone else in the B&G wear the #21, clinton would be the ONLY one

time to let it rest boys and girls.

I love ST as much as everyone. But I loved the player, not his number. the number means nothing without the player who wore it.

Thank You, Everybodies putting a # on a pedistool. I don't see why numbers get retired in the first place. Putting their jersey in the raptors???? should be enough. As long as the player wears it right, I'm cool. It will probably just be weird seeing it the 1st couple times.

Thank You, Everybodies putting a # on a pedistool. I don't see why numbers get retired in the first place. Putting their jersey in the raptors???? should be enough. As long as the player wears it right, I'm cool. It will probably just be weird seeing it the 1st couple times.

Haha! They honor all time greats by feeding their jerseys to dinosaurs! Oh man! So much to grill you for but so little time! :laugh:

As Portis said, no one can fill Sean Taylor's shoes, so why even try.

you are dead on here. It would be a waste of effort and come across wrong no matter how you did it.

i think his number will end up like Dale Sr's. Nobody is going to race with the 3 car but they arent going to retire it either.

Ook. If that's the case. You must Santana and Clinton must think it's too big of a deal. I'm still trying to figure out what that sign meant with their fingers that Santana and Rock would throw up after a good play. Oh well, I guess your one of Sean's closest friends and you would know.

I loved Sean Taylor he was one of my favorite players, I started this thread to say,,, other teams are having players, changing their number to honor Sean Taylor, Who would you except on our team, if they changed their number to 21 in his honor...

People taking this the wrong way, But like I said a retiring of a # is stupid in my eyes,

I loved Sean Taylor he was one of my favorite players, I started this thread to say,,, other teams are having players, changing their number to honor Sean Taylor, Who would you except on our team, if they changed their number to 21 in his honor...

People taking this the wrong way, But like I said a retiring of a # is stupid in my eyes,

How about this senario-

We have the #21 draft pick, we draft a hard hitting db like Cromartie and if he prooves his worth in training camp, they let him wear #21.

Besides retiring the number, which doesnt seem likely, what could be a better trubute than having the 21st pick, a db wearing the number.

Everytime this guy makes a hard hit, a sack or a fumble recovery, fans will be saying--- "Just like Sean Taylor made that play"

Imagine monday night football, DRC has two sacks, the game is close, time is about to expire, and DRC gets his third sack to seal the win. The announcers would definitly make reference to ST.

And one more thing- What do you think ST would want.

The reason teams and organizations retire players numbers is because of the tie between the "special" player and the number he wore. This can't be any more true in football, players are recognizable by the number they wear. The number is a part of them. The number 21 obviously meant something to Sean, or else he would not have switched from 36 after his rookie season. Sean was special, and the best free safety to ever put on a Skins jersey. If Dan is smart then he would retire Sean's jersey before the Dallas game this upcoming season. Since we all know Sean hated Dallas as much, if not more, than anyone else. No Redskin should ever wear the #21 again.

How about this senario-

We have the #21 draft pick, we draft a hard hitting db like Cromartie and if he prooves his worth in training camp, they let him wear #21.

Besides retiring the number, which doesnt seem likely, what could be a better trubute than having the 21st pick, a db wearing the number.

Everytime this guy makes a hard hit, a sack or a fumble recovery, fans will be saying--- "Just like Sean Taylor made that play"

Imagine monday night football, DRC has two sacks, the game is close, time is about to expire, and DRC gets his third sack to seal the win. The announcers would definitly make reference to ST.

And one more thing- What do you think ST would want.

Im not begging for someone to wear it, I'm just tryna get a concensus, I don't think a number makes a difference, and to tell the truth Taylor never seemed selfish enough to be pressed about a number. But I also guess there was never conflict...

time to let it rest boys and girls.

I love ST as much as everyone. But I loved the player, not his number. the number means nothing without the player who wore it.

I disagree entirely, I wont be able to hear "21" again without thinking of god's saftety. In a way, due to the timing and circumstances of his death, the number transcended just Sean Taylor the football player, to represent Sean Taylor the man. Too many of us, that makes "21" sacred ground. The player that tries to wear that number around here any time soon better have the wingspan of an osprey, presence like a herd of buffalo, and the ability to hit like a bolt of lightning hurled from the fist of Zeus. He better be able to strike fear in the hearts of his enemies and inspire love, adoration, and a loyalty so fierce that Cowboys fans even loved him. He must be inhuman, for he not only must live up to Sean Taylor the Man, and Sean Taylor the Football Player, but he must live up to Sean Taylor the Legend as well. Those are big damn footsteps.

Ook. If that's the case. You must Santana and Clinton must think it's too big of a deal. I'm still trying to figure out what that sign meant with their fingers that Santana and Rock would throw up after a good play. Oh well, I guess your one of Sean's closest friends and you would know.

2 fingers+1 finger= 21.

Archived