Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Richmond dying?

Beauty is Only

I'm a Richmond-area native now living and working in metro Atlanta. I still have an emotional attachment to my native region as well as relatives who still live and work in the city. If you're an individual who currently lives or has business dealings with this city or area, please tell me what you know about this area in regards to its socioeconomic state.

Is Richmond dying? Are people fleeing this area? What's your outlook on its future?

Well, I just moved to the area in September, so I can't really say how Richmond is doing now as compared to a few years ago. I think they clearly have problems in leadership (the Braves leaving town, as well as the whole attempt to evict the school board from City Hall are just a couple examples). Like any city in America now, there is definitely slow economic growth. Considering my job and position deals directly with local businesses and their success, this is a pretty important issue with me.

It is being born, not dying. Grew up in Richmond but I have not lived there for a while. I have been back a lot recently.

The downtown area is quickly changing (though not as fast as other cities) - it reminds me of U street in DC. 10 years ago you would no go there, now there are river front condos being built left and right. Restaurants, houses, offices - really nice. Some amazing renovated old warehouse condos right in downtown - absolutely stunning. The river area is booming. When I was last home a few weeks ago there were so many people outside enjoying the river and parks.

It was named a top 10 city to do business in this year (in the paper a few weeks ago).

I will put it this way - 5 years ago I would have never thought about moving to Richmond again. Now, I see it as a place to move and settle with a family in the future.

Obviously a lot has to change. But compared to many many many cities in the US - it is going in the complete right direction.

As someone said before - leadership must change.

Duckus - what's the story with the current crime rate, do you know? I know they were having some serious problems in the early 2000s, especially with murder. We are most likely going to move when I finish school in December and Richmond is one of the places we are considering. Thanks. :cheers:

Richmond is your typical sleepy southern city. I've been there too many times to count and it seems like your average low wage, low expense, crime confined to specific areas, city. I wouldn't live there unless I enjoyed the slow life and wasn't planning on raising kids. The suburbs outside the city seem to be doing alright and not every block of the city is dirty anymore.

Richmond is your typical sleepy southern city. I've been there too many times to count and it seems like your average low wage, low expense, crime confined to specific areas, city. I wouldn't live there unless I enjoyed the slow life and wasn't planning on raising kids.

I assume you're calling Richmond a "sleepy, southern city" because you've grown up and lived in one of the major metropolitan cities (DC?) in America all your life? I think Richmond has tons to do, and is definitely not the "slow life." The amount of culture and history that Richmond offers is pretty significant. There is also a pretty good night life with dance clubs, bars, and local music venues. I only wish Richmond would work on growing the local sports teams, besides VCU basketball.

Compared to southwest Virginia where I grew up and went to college, Richmond might as well be the hub of activity in the Commonwealth.

Duckus - what's the story with the current crime rate, do you know? I know they were having some serious problems in the early 2000s, especially with murder. We are most likely going to move when I finish school in December and Richmond is one of the places we are considering. Thanks. :cheers:

Oh yes. Murder was out of control. When I was in middle school and HS it was usually somewhere between #1-#5 in the country for murders - we had the "Murder Capital" nickname for a while. It was insane.

Last year they had the lowest murder rate they have recorded in over 25 years. They had 55 murders for the entire city - which is pretty good for a city.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-01-02-0103.html

Found this MSNBC article called "How Richmond Slashed its Homicide Rate." This article was done before the end of the year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17986027/

Was that year just a fluke? I have no idea. As I said, I have not lived there for a while. I live in NE DC now, so Richmond seems safer - :laugh: .

Murder statistics are tricky to interpret. Rankings for murders, or murder rates, are found on the basis of population. Thus, because Richmond in a small city by population (lots live outside - and compared to most capital cities), its rate is pretty high. Richmond has a LOT LESS murders than many many cities, but when divided by its small population its rate is high.

As for general crime - it is limited mostly to places I would not live - but it is a city so it can happen anywhere.

I thought that in the past couple of years, the people who were lucky enough to cash out of their homes in DC moved to Richmond to get more bang for their buck.
Shhhhh. That's not the case, OK? Richmond has the same cost of living as DC. No need to move down here.

The City has a bad image because of the City Mayor/City Council but the suburbs of the city are growing extreamly fast. The area around Short Pump Town Center has taken off and if you have not been out there in few years you would not reconize the place. West Broad Village is being built now and will add to Short Pump www.westbroadvillage.com

The Watkins Center in Chesterfield is in the works http://www.gatewayva.com/biz/virginiabusiness/magazine/yr2006/dec06/real2.shtml

White Oak Village in eastern Henrico theshopsatwhiteoakvillage.com

Downtown Meadwestvaco is moving in to a new building currently being built along the river by Browns Island.

I left college (Ga. Southern) to come back to Virginia (Richmond) eight years ago. The city itself is growing intensely with heavy growth in the suburbs. VCU has added new buildings stretching from downtown to "the fan", and the cleanliness has really pulled through due to these construction projects. I have just moved away from the city b/c of work, and now live 20 miles south in Prince George where the corn and bread prices are now higher than the cost of a nice house or land. haha

My bike got stolen. I hate Richmond now :mad:.

Coming from McLean VA to attended VCU Richmind is pretty damn ghetto. The outlying suburbs are nice but there are areas I wouldn't think of going to even during the day. I live in the Fan which is supposed to be a safe place but I really don't feel comfortable. But I guess my prospective is skewed considering where I moved from.

Just a comparison, in 7 years in McLean nothing of mine was ever stolen. 4 months in Richmond by bike is gone and somebody was casing my apartment. I am buying a shotgun in case something does happen.

My bike got stolen. I hate Richmond now :mad:.

Coming from McLean VA to attended VCU Richmind is pretty damn ghetto. The outlying suburbs are nice but there are areas I wouldn't think of going to even during the day. I live in the Fan which is supposed to be a safe place but I really don't feel comfortable. But I guess my prospective is skewed considering where I moved from.

Just a comparison, in 7 years in McLean nothing of mine was ever stolen. 4 months in Richmond by bike is gone and somebody was casing my apartment. I am buying a shotgun in case something does happen.

I'd have to agree. Coming from parent's house in McLean to student apartment in the city is the reason for the difference.

I'm a Richmond-area native now living and working in metro Atlanta. I still have an emotional attachment to my native region as well as relatives who still live and work in the city. If you're an individual who currently lives or has business dealings with this city or area, please tell me what you know about this area in regards to its socioeconomic state.

Is Richmond dying? Are people fleeing this area? What's your outlook on its future?

Yes, some of Wachovias' call centers and Securities are moving to St. Louis.

I've had some GREAT times in Richmond at the bottoms/fan. Of course, that was in the 90's... great bar scene.

I don't think I'd want to live there. Too much of a subtle caste system in place to suit me, though I certainly would rather live there than a lot of places.

Archived