Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How long is Campbell's Leash? Zorn's?

[S.S.F. | Nero]

We as Redskins fanatics stand at the dawn of the Jim Zorn era.

Most of what can be said about Zorn and his offense is still reserved to speculation.

As always, the car looks shiniest before the race.

But assuming things don't work out immediately (assume a sub-.500 first season under Zorn) how long will JZ stick with JC?

On the same token, how much of Zorn's 5-Year contract will he make it through?

I'm most curious to see if the patience that has been preached and practiced around Redskins Park as of late will translate over with regard to Campbell and Zorn's job security.

Of course, this is all conjecture, and ultimately irrelevant, because we all know that Campbell will blow up and Washington will win 10+ in Zorny's first campaign.

~ HTTMFR ~

I'm willing to Give Zorn at the least 3 yrs...

As far as JC goes...In my book he gets 2 more years after this one...I will add to this that if he doesn't show continued improvement this yr, that we need to open up the QB position and let the best QB win...

Yeah, but if a spaceship landed on the field during our first game but then took right off again, would the NFL play the rest of the season out, or would the government step in, close the season, and just put military forces and civilian scientists at all game sites every Sunday? Or would they gamble that it needs to look like a game is going to take place before the aliens would land again and allow all the players and fans to assemble? And if that's the case, would we assemble our starters or use all the back-ups as much as possible in case there's some sort of trouble?

Either way, Go Skins!

Yeah, but if a spaceship landed on the field during our first game but then took right off again, would the NFL play the rest of the season out, or would the government step in, close the season, and just put military forces and civilian scientists at all game sites every Sunday? Or would they gamble that it needs to look like a game is going to take place before the aliens would land again and allow all the players and fans to assemble? And if that's the case, would we assemble our starters or use all the back-ups as much as possible in case there's some sort of trouble?

Either way, Go Skins!

Uhhh I've had plenty to drink but I think that you've had more...:silly:

I think that JC needs a year or two, and Zorn needs the same. We as Redskin fans (not to say that the rest of the NFL doesn't do this) are very impatient and we need to realize that when you change coaches and offensive systems it may take time for the team to adjust. I am no fan of 'rebuilding years' but I accept the fact that we may have to deal with them. I think that we should be patient with both Zorn and Campbell, both of them deserve some time to prove themselves.

I'm willing to Give Zorn at the least 3 yrs...

As far as JC goes...In my book he gets 2 more years after this one...I will add to this that if he doesn't show continued improvement this yr, that we need to open up the QB position and let the best QB win...

I know he has to learn ANOTHER offense, but seriously he needs to get it done this year for me. And maybe just MAYBE give him one more after that if not this year. 1 year is plenty of time to learn a new offense so if after 2 more years he's still not winning and making bad decisions its time to move on.

Zorn won't last more than this year if we don't make the playoffs. Just what i think i definately could be wrong.

']But assuming things don't work out immediately (assume a sub-.500 first season under Zorn) how long will JZ stick with JC?

~ HTTMFR ~

So, in other words, you already know that if we go under 500 for the season, it will squarely fall on Jasons shoulders.

You know, I think it depends on what the record looks like. I would guess it will be sub .500 next year, but I was also thinking the same thing last season.

Oddly enough there are solid sub .500 records where the team is in the games, showing signs of development, and promis for the comming future. But that would be with young teams, and the Skins are not yet what you would call young.

The other type of sub .500 seasons are where an overpriced bunch of players hardly bother to show up, and are blanked on a consistent basis.

If Zorn has a good sub .500 season with reason to think he and the team will get better, he gets more years. If the team slids off the rails, and it all goes to seed, he may well be looking for employment again in 2009.

Either way, Go Skins!

I think you summed up all of the speculation of the entire off season in one post. :cheers:

If the Skins have a season that shows promise for the future and the team performs well and the execution gets better each week....I say Zorn will be around for a few years. However, we all know Cowher is sitting out there and Danny STILL loves the big splash....especially after taking a year off. If this season shows little promise and IF Zorn doesn't seem to have that head coach mentality....I'm thinking Snyder will make that call to Cowher. Personally I hope Zorn and the Skins have a great season. However, if we tank it...Would Cowher accept ??? That is another question..Just my :2cents:

HTTR

And rack up another 24 TO's in 12.5 games his leash will be real short.

You obviously don't like Campbell, and that's your perogative. But making up stats about him doesn't help your credibility when discussing him. Without looking it up, I can still say there is no way Campbell directly accounted for 24 TO's last season.

Zorn and Campbell's future is now intertwined. Very few coaches endure w/o solid play from the QB position. Campbell's biggest failing is that his decision-making is too slow. If Zorn can speed it up, and Campbell's confidence grows, they will both be around a long time. A confident QB, making smart and accurate decisions, is the main ingredient for long-term success in the NFL. Without that, a team is naturally going to be inconsistent.

Make no mistake - Zorn is here because the FO felt that he was the best guy (available) to maximize production from the QB position. How he does that job will largely determine his fate here. If the QB play flounders, Zorn will not last long (neither will Campbell, obviously). If it flourishes, he will become a Washington icon. If it's up-and-down, he'll probably get 4 years or so.

It's all about the QB play. Why were the Giants able to pull off their improbable run? Eli, while not brilliant, played largely mistake-free and made some clutch plays. Zorn needs to get Campbell's game to that level first. You can win a lot of games with that sort of QB play (combined with solid defense and running game). After that, you hope Campbell can take the next step to the elite level, where mistake-free ball is combined with the ability to surgically disect an opposing defense. And then you are in the perennial contender category.

And, yeah, what Jumbo said, too :).

If JC continues to overthrow open targets. And rack up another 24 TO's in 12.5 games his leash will be real short. I pray we can find a good QB late in the draft.

Campbell only had 11 pics, with at least a couple of those off tipped/balls balls. Campbell only lost 1 fumble, so I don't know where you came up with 24 TOs, but your aren't even close to being accurate there. It was actually 12. Campbell's rating was 77.6, which is pretty decent for a 3rd year QB. His rating was higher then Eli's btw.

Campbell only had 11 pics, with at least a couple of those off tipped/balls balls. Campbell only lost 1 fumble, so I don't know where you came up with 24 TOs, but your aren't even close to being accurate there. It was actually 12. Campbell's rating was 77.6, which is pretty decent for a 3rd year QB. His rating was higher then Eli's btw.

JC had 11 pics and 13 fumbles in 12.5 games. You cant win games turning the ball over like that.

Throw in all the slow reads with the slow release. Also add the fact that he throw too high on short routs and overthows on long routs.

JC better perform well early. I dont think Zorn will let JC f**k his money up. I know I wouldnt.

if has a above .500 record after 2 years I would be willing to give him another year as long as the team is moving in the right direction....there is no way though IMO that we shouldnt be a playoff team next year, we have 22 returning starters and aside from the New England game were in every game and should have won another 3 we lost...

You obviously don't like Campbell, and that's your perogative. But making up stats about him doesn't help your credibility when discussing him. Without looking it up, I can still say there is no way Campbell directly accounted for 24 TO's last season.

Zorn and Campbell's future is now intertwined. Very few coaches endure w/o solid play from the QB position. Campbell's biggest failing is that his decision-making is too slow. If Zorn can speed it up, and Campbell's confidence grows, they will both be around a long time. A confident QB, making smart and accurate decisions, is the main ingredient for long-term success in the NFL. Without that, a team is naturally going to be inconsistent.

Make no mistake - Zorn is here because the FO felt that he was the best guy (available) to maximize production from the QB position. How he does that job will largely determine his fate here. If the QB play flounders, Zorn will not last long (neither will Campbell, obviously). If it flourishes, he will become a Washington icon. If it's up-and-down, he'll probably get 4 years or so.

It's all about the QB play. Why were the Giants able to pull off their improbable run? Eli, while not brilliant, played largely mistake-free and made some clutch plays. Zorn needs to get Campbell's game to that level first. You can win a lot of games with that sort of QB play (combined with solid defense and running game). After that, you hope Campbell can take the next step to the elite level, where mistake-free ball is combined with the ability to surgically disect an opposing defense. And then you are in the perennial contender category.

And, yeah, what Jumbo said, too :).

Actually, he had 16 TO which is still a lot. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=8440

JC had 11 pics and 13 fumbles in 12.5 games. You cant win games turning the ball over like that.

Throw in all the slow reads with the slow release. Also add the fact that he throw too high on short routs and overthows on long routs.

JC better perform well early. I dont think Zorn will let JC f**k his money up. I know I wouldnt.

You are a huge numbskull. Do you watch the games? Do you remember JC losing 13 fumbles? Did you know that Reggie Bush led the league last year with 7 fumbles?

Campbell had 5 fumbles last year, and only lost 1 of them. If I remember right, 1 or 2 fumbles were on bad center/qb exchanges when Rabach was out, and 1 or 2 were on blinside hits when half his oline was out. You want to hate on Campbell fine, but get your facts straight. :doh:

Check my previous quote. Per ESPN, he had 16 total TO's with 11 picks and 5 INT's.

He did not have 16 TOs, he had 12. Right next to the fumble stat you posted it says lost. That's how many fumbles he lost. He lost 1.

ok so one fumble was lost. still doesn't negate the fact that he DID fumble the ball 5 times. we were just fortunate four of the five times. and i believe 3 came against the Pats.

thanks for the clarification gsf hahaha.

Archived