Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How long is Campbell's Leash? Zorn's?

[S.S.F. | Nero]

I'm willing to Give Zorn at the least 3 yrs...

As far as JC goes...In my book he gets 2 more years after this one...I will add to this that if he doesn't show continued improvement this yr, that we need to open up the QB position and let the best QB win...

I will give Zorn 3 years, Campbell gets one more season..... Sorry but he should ba able to adapt being 3 years in. Although, the team record is not predicated on wether he stays or goes. It is his OWN personal play...

I think this season will be a make or break season for JC. If he has a sub par year, I fully believe a change is inevitable.

No doubt that Zorn is evaluating JC right now. If JC cannot improve on his reads and delivery, we may see TC by years end. I know I may catch some flack for that. But if TC looks better in training camp than JC does, that WILL stick in the mind of Zorn.

TC pulled off some great wins last season using undersized recievers. Is he the answer to our long term needs? No. Could he get us back to the playoffs in 08? Probably. And JC has a daunting task of opening up in NY. A loss there is very real and JC will get the brunt of the criticism.

Too many of you guys don't get it. One of Snyder's top criteria for the position was someone who could help Campbell take the next step. Zorn is a former QB and QB coach, and is known for his success developing QBs. Campbell is the franchise QB and is not on any sort of "short leash". He performed quite well for a QB in his first season as the starter last year. Yes he had some turnovers, overthrows, and was sometimes slow with his decisions, but these things are to be expected from a young QB. He also showed tons of poise, and made some unbelievable throws. Give him some protection, a receiver that isn't 6 inches shorter then him, and coach him up a bit and the sky is the limit.

I remember Gibbs I first season in 81. After starting his HC career with 5 consecutive losses he had a meeting scheduled with Jack Kent Cooke. He thought he would become the Skins shortest tenured HC ever. But Cooke invited him in just to assure him that he was the Skins coach and that nothing woudl change that in the foreseeable future. That's why Cooke was a great owner and Gibbs went on to become the greatest Redskins coach to this day.

I hope that Coach Dan has the same patience, but I am concerned he does not. People who made their money very quickly tend to have less patience than those who grew up in money or earned it throughout their lifetime. (Why can't the microwave cook faster?) I guess we'll see the measure of both men.

Being a coach at heart, I believe Zorn's patience with Campbell would be greater than Coach Dan's patience with Zorn. Coach Dan said he learned patience form Gibbs. Let's see if it really happened.

Originally Posted by Cyber Pimp

JC better perform well early. I dont think Zorn will let JC f**k his money up. I know I wouldnt.

i dont think JC will let JC f**k his money if you know what I'm sayin'.

Hes liable to gain/notgain ben rothlisberger numbers. JZ dont have that on his mind.

You are a huge numbskull. Do you watch the games? Do you remember JC losing 13 fumbles? Did you know that Reggie Bush led the league last year with 7 fumbles?

Campbell had 5 fumbles last year, and only lost 1 of them. If I remember right, 1 or 2 fumbles were on bad center/qb exchanges when Rabach was out, and 1 or 2 were on blinside hits when half his oline was out. You want to hate on Campbell fine, but get your facts straight. :doh:

If its 5 or 13 either way he is a turnover machine. Its good that his fumbles were recovered but it does not change the fact that he lays the rock on the carpet.

I'm not hating on JC becasue he's nothing to hate on. A hater is a person that does not like someone because of their success. What success has JC had? He is just a run of the mill QB with good potential. He has to play better if we are going to win some games.

Dont know why but the link posted has bad numbers

The NFLs website shows him with 13 fumbles 8 lost

for a total of 19TOs

http://www.nfl.com/players/jasoncampbell/profile?id=CAM375235

I suspect that this # is closer to the truth. I can't remember every last fumble, but I know he lost more than 1. He had a devil of a time holding on to the ball.

Campbell did not have a fumbling problem last season - he had an awareness problem. All QBs cough up the ball on occasion, but Campbell needs to show more awareness of what is going on around him. That is way too many fumbles - in my book, it's not OK as long as the Redskins recover the ball.

Definitely an area that needs improvement. It's odd that he didn't have this problem in 2006.

You are a huge numbskull. Do you watch the games? Do you remember JC losing 13 fumbles? Did you know that Reggie Bush led the league last year with 7 fumbles?

Campbell had 5 fumbles last year, and only lost 1 of them. If I remember right, 1 or 2 fumbles were on bad center/qb exchanges when Rabach was out, and 1 or 2 were on blinside hits when half his oline was out. You want to hate on Campbell fine, but get your facts straight. :doh:

Dude get your facts together before you call people names because you can make an ass out of yourself

Here is the link to JC's 07/08 game log.

http://sportsline.com/nfl/players/player/gamelogs/2007/407793

Its hard to win games when your QB is almost averaging 2 TO's a game.

Two years each, if not three.

Of course Campbell hasn't been developed very well - we keep changing coaches and coordinators. Give him some time in one system - and I mean that in two ways. First of all, give him time to learn the playbook - second of all, give him some time in the pocket. It sure doesn't help things when our starting OT goes down for the season. So maybe the question we should be asking before we ask how long the leash is on Campbell, is how long the leashes are on Jansen and Thomas for being more injury-prone than they should be.

Campbell will have to learn how to throw to his shorter receivers - having quality 6'4" and 6'5" receivers is a luxury in the NFL. He also needs to develop an identity as a quarterback, which is something he's had a hard time doing because the FO keeps changing systems on him. It doesn't really help us either that Coach Gibbs babied Jason a bit - you can't deny that. Most 1st-round QBs have at least gotten into an NFL game by the end of their rookie year, and the majority are starting by opening day of year 2. Gibbs made Jason warm the bench for way too long, even when it was obvious that Brunell was no longer getting the job done. Because of that, this was Jason's first full year starting in the NFL. Most QBs need two full years running an offense before they reach their potential. Gibbs, IMO, slowed JC's development substantially. Not to mention the fact that in the middle of JC's development, we lost a quarterbacks coach (Bill Musgrave).

So, I guess what I'm saying is - in normal situations, I'd give JC 2 years, but I'd be tempted to give him 3 because I've seen enough there that he could start for us and do very well if someone coached him up for a bit. And from what I heard, Zorn's the perfect man for the job. That said, I think Zorn's leash is slightly longer than Campbell's. We don't want to start going through head coaches like the Miami Dolphins - you see where they've ended up.

I think that a lot of the issues from last year stemmed from injuries to the team around him.

JC has until one year after a legitimate QB for the future is acquired. Unless someone falls dramatically, I don't see them drafting a QB, there are just too many better uses for the picks. Thus, JC has at least two years to prove himself, which should be more than fair.

Coaches, on the other hand, don't have much protection. I think Zorn could have a last place finish if the Skins were competitive, because the NFCE will be tough this year. But if the Skins don't show some fight, I just don't think Snyder will stick with him.

Archived