Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vinny Tidbits

PlayAction

We've been picking over the bones of the limited news this offseason so any tiny morsel is worth talking about (I guess). I was listening to Vinny on the radio yesterday afternoon and he had a few bits of information:

Buges has been driving Vinny around to some Pro-Days. They most recently visiting Virgina and were soon headed to Va Tech. He likes Chris Long and thinks that he could be the #1 pick (kind of a no-brainer) but it doesn't matter what he thinks as Parcells has to make that decision. He eventually volunteered that Albert looked good. Not much to say on any of the other UVA players. Who do you think Vinny (especially Bugel) might be interested in at Va Tech? I don't think Bugel is going there just as the driver unless it's a smoke screen while looking at a different player.

Larry Michael asked why the Skins hadn't picked up any WRs. Short answer - Skins weren't enamored with any of the free agents and didn't want to sign one if they were likely to be cut anyway after the draft. It would just be a waste of money. He said they liked what they've seen of Mix and he's going to get an opportunity to show whether he can play. But my take on this is that they definitely have plans to draft a WR and it should be one that they expect to be able to contribute right away (otherwise why would Vinny claim that a free agent would likely not beat out the rookie on the roster)? If you don't have a WR in your draft mock (rounds 1, 2, or 3) you may want to adjust.

Larry also asked whether the Skins might do any trades. Vinny said that they always are open to trades if anything made sense for the team. But, there were not trading up in the draft. If they don't pick at 21 they will be trading down, hopefully to get one or better 2 additional draft picks. My take on this is that the Skins see a good number of attractive players in rounds 2 and perhaps 3 versus the single player they might get to pick from at 21. Of course, if the Skins trade down then Albert might no longer be an option (as mock drafts seem to think that the Bears would benefit from his selection).

Nothing really new but it's re-affirmation that the Skins are looking to use a high draft pick on a WR and that they are not really interested in picking at 21. I hope they can find a trade partner.

I'm pretty sure VT has at least one OL in the draft. I wanna say Duane Brown or something like that. He had an immpressive combine performance and they may look at take him in the 5th or possible 4th if the make a trade and pick up a 4th rounder.

I'm pretty sure VT has at least one OL in the draft. I wanna say Duane Brown or something like that. He had an immpressive combine performance and they may look at take him in the 5th or possible 4th if the make a trade and pick up a 4th rounder.

Duane Brown is no better then a 5th, and I think that is a reach

Great athlete, a bit light (in the 280-290 range) but is tall and has great feet. He was a converted TE, where he played TE his RS-freshmen year

Another guy I forgot is WR Justin Harper, 6-4 210 4.5 40 and has good hands. He had 2 TD's in the Orange Bowl (punt return and the late TD catch)

I think Harper could be a 4th round steal

This draft will make or break Zorn's first season. I really don't see them going after Anquan Boldin or Chad Johnson caliber players. Previous draft records have shown Vinny & co.'s ability to pick up good contributors....I hope that continues.

I hope that they are looking at Chris Ellis Also. Possible Second round or third rounder.

I hope not.

One he is too light and lanky to play DE in the NFl

Second, as much as I love the guy, he'll take a bonehead penalty and thinks more about talking trash then actually playing (at times)

While he had some dominant games, he wasn't quite the guy I expected when he came to VT

Anything higher then a 4th for him is too high

To finally hear someone from the Skins FO talk about raiding the 2nd and 3rd rounds, trading out the first to pick up additional picks... brings tears to my eyes.

Isnt that the truth. Let the Raiders take the off season super bowl champ belt from us...

I think we are putting a little too much in Mix though for now. He is really unproven. I dont want to go spend all of our cash on CJ persay, but I dont know if I am completely sold on Mix. Time will tell...

To the OP, thanks for a very good post. You recaped everything instead of just asking did anyone hear what was said.

Great post and thanks for sharing.

Well said. Nice job OP, hope you have the time to do a re-cap every time Vinny is on. I usually miss it and he is very informative.

Isnt that the truth. Let the Raiders take the off season super bowl champ belt from us...

I think we are putting a little too much in Mix though for now. He is really unproven. I dont want to go spend all of our cash on CJ persay, but I dont know if I am completely sold on Mix. Time will tell...

He's just as unproven as any WR we will draft, so why not...

PS, they were there LAST week for the VT pro day. It was last Tuesday I believe

Well that's even more interesting. I was sure that Vinny said that he and Bugel were leaving at 5:30 or so in the morning to drive down to Va Tech. Either that was past tense or he's headed back down there?

I don't know what's worse, picking over the little bits of information for the draft OR the long wait after the draft until preseason! Maybe we'll get lucky and the training camp videos and interviews will actually give some real information.

Hey SHF, what's you take on Adibi? I've heard him on Sirius a few times and it really seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders and from watching a couple of his games, I'm one that thinks he'll be a pretty good player. Having said that, I'm far from an expert on anything Va Tech or even college football as I really only start paying attention once the draft nears.

Hey SHF, what's you take on Adibi? I've heard him on Sirius a few times and it really seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders and from watching a couple of his games, I'm one that thinks he'll be a pretty good player. Having said that, I'm far from an expert on anything Va Tech or even college football as I really only start paying attention once the draft nears.

Adibi is a freakish athlete. The problem is he is light, I think the combine had him listed in the 220s (I could be wrong, because VT had him listed in the 240s)

The guy has great closing speed and is probably the best cover linebacker I have seen in CFB.

He could play SS in the NFL and be pretty solid. I'd put him between the 3rd and 5th rounds

Adibi is a freakish athlete. The problem is he is light, I think the combine had him listed in the 220s (I could be wrong, because VT had him listed in the 240s)

The guy has great closing speed and is probably the best cover linebacker I have seen in CFB.

He could play SS in the NFL and be pretty solid. I'd put him between the 3rd and 5th rounds

Thanks. Does it seem like he has the frame to bulk up at all? My thoughts were to draft him and play him in Rocky's spot until he heals up again. Would a 3rd round compensatory pick be too high for him? Do you see him playing SS or WLB?

We've been picking over the bones of the limited news this offseason so any tiny morsel is worth talking about (I guess). I was listening to Vinny on the radio yesterday afternoon and he had a few bits of information:

Buges has been driving Vinny around to some Pro-Days. They most recently visiting Virgina and were soon headed to Va Tech. He likes Chris Long and thinks that he could be the #1 pick (kind of a no-brainer) but it doesn't matter what he thinks as Parcells has to make that decision. He eventually volunteered that Albert looked good. Not much to say on any of the other UVA players. Who do you think Vinny (especially Bugel) might be interested in at Va Tech? I don't think Bugel is going there just as the driver unless it's a smoke screen while looking at a different player.

Larry Michael asked why the Skins hadn't picked up any WRs. Short answer - Skins weren't enamored with any of the free agents and didn't want to sign one if they were likely to be cut anyway after the draft. It would just be a waste of money. He said they liked what they've seen of Mix and he's going to get an opportunity to show whether he can play. But my take on this is that they definitely have plans to draft a WR and it should be one that they expect to be able to contribute right away (otherwise why would Vinny claim that a free agent would likely not beat out the rookie on the roster)? If you don't have a WR in your draft mock (rounds 1, 2, or 3) you may want to adjust.

Larry also asked whether the Skins might do any trades. Vinny said that they always are open to trades if anything made sense for the team. But, there were not trading up in the draft. If they don't pick at 21 they will be trading down, hopefully to get one or better 2 additional draft picks. My take on this is that the Skins see a good number of attractive players in rounds 2 and perhaps 3 versus the single player they might get to pick from at 21. Of course, if the Skins trade down then Albert might no longer be an option (as mock drafts seem to think that the Bears would benefit from his selection).

Nothing really new but it's re-affirmation that the Skins are looking to use a high draft pick on a WR and that they are not really interested in picking at 21. I hope they can find a trade partner.

I want to throw something out there that I have been thinking about. Now like I said this is pure SPECULATION. But, Glen Dorsey DT I have read certain mocks that have him going to the Falcons or Raiders, but other I have seen him drop all the way to the Bengals at 9. My personal opinion is that he will be a top 5 selection. But, that being said IF somehow Dorsey drops past those top 5 teams do any of you feel there is a chance that we could venture the avenues of trading up POSSIBLY the Ravens pick (Rumors are if Ryan does not slide to 8 they COULD try to trade out) in which we could get an enourmous talent in Dorsey.

This certainly seems far fetched, and I dont see this scenerio where Dorsey falls, but if it does do you think this organization will value Dorsey and that DT position enough to swing a trade into the top 10?

I think its POSSIBLE, but not probable...I also wouldnt have an issue at all if they did so. Just wanted to throw that out there...

like I've been saying, we're going WR w/ the 21st pick.

Sorry, but there is no guarantee of that. Personally, I think there will be more talented players at other positions. So far, I'm not really all that impressed with the WRs that are going to be available at #21 right now. I could see some OL being more attractive if they are there and I could see CB if the right player is there.

I think if we do draft a guy, it will be in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Jason

I want to throw something out there that I have been thinking about. Now like I said this is pure SPECULATION. But, Glen Dorsey DT I have read certain mocks that have him going to the Falcons or Raiders, but other I have seen him drop all the way to the Bengals at 9. My personal opinion is that he will be a top 5 selection. But, that being said IF somehow Dorsey drops past those top 5 teams do any of you feel there is a chance that we could venture the avenues of trading up POSSIBLY the Ravens pick (Rumors are if Ryan does not slide to 8 they COULD try to trade out) in which we could get an enourmous talent in Dorsey.

This certainly seems far fetched, and I dont see this scenerio where Dorsey falls, but if it does do you think this organization will value Dorsey and that DT position enough to swing a trade into the top 10?

I think its POSSIBLE, but not probable...I also wouldnt have an issue at all if they did so. Just wanted to throw that out there...

In years past I wouldn't put it past the Skins. But trading up to 9 would cost the Skins their first, second and third round picks. Since Vinny claims to want more, rather than less, picks I don't see us trading up even to get Glenn Dorsey. Of course, if he were really to fall (say into the teens) you never know what might happen. I remember once hearing that Vinny's sole skill (acknowleged among league GMs) was his ability as a college level talent scout. I hope he's able to knock one out of the park this year to give Zorn a real boost.

Sorry, but there is no guarantee of that. Personally, I think there will be more talented players at other positions. So far, I'm not really all that impressed with the WRs that are going to be available at #21 right now. I could see some OL being more attractive if they are there and I could see CB if the right player is there.

I think if we do draft a guy, it will be in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Jason

Im right there with you. Why would we waste our first on a player that is no better than a WR picked up after us or even in the 2nd-3rd rounds. There is no top-flight in the draft that is any better htan the other. They all have their issues.

Archived