Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vinny Tidbits

PlayAction

Im right there with you. Why would we waste our first on a player that is no better than a WR picked up after us or even in the 2nd-3rd rounds. There is no top-flight in the draft that is any better htan the other. They all have their issues.

There really aren't any draft prospects that don't have ANY issues. Calvin Johnson was considered a completely elite prospect but he also came from an offense that was a far cry from an NFL one and he needed time to adjust to the NFL game. And if the WRs in the 2nd or 3rd are just as good as one picked in the 1st...why are they going in the 2nd and 3rd? Is it just a random lotto for draft placement? Maybe team scouts actually see more talent/upside/intangibles in the guys that go in the 1st.

In years past I wouldn't put it past the Skins. But trading up to 9 would cost the Skins their first, second and third round picks. Since Vinny claims to want more, rather than less, picks I don't see us trading up even to get Glenn Dorsey. Of course, if he were really to fall (say into the teens) you never know what might happen. I remember once hearing that Vinny's sole skill (acknowleged among league GMs) was his ability as a college level talent scout. I hope he's able to knock one out of the park this year to give Zorn a real boost.

I actually think it would cost MORE than that. Remember the trade the 'Skins made with the Saints so they could draft Ricky Williams? (1-12, 3-71, 4-107, 5-144, 6-179 and 7-218) plus 1st and 3rd-round choices in 2000 that became the 2nd and 64th overall. That was to go from 12-5. Going from 21-top 10 somewhere would be extremely costly. btw, the 'Skins used a couple of those picks to trade with the Bears to move back up to 7 to pick up Champ Baily. now THAT is how to work a draft. The #1 the next year was used on LaVar. :)

Archived