Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you take a really boring job if it paid very well?

WVUforREDSKINS

Depends on how much money I make. 20k vs 40k is huge... 250k vs. 270k is not huge.

It also depends on how financially solvent I am. If I have a million in the bank, that decision is very different than if I have 30k of credicard debt and an rusting 83 Dodge Charger to my name.

Would you all take a job that pays about 20k more that is extremely boring and has little or no social atmosphere or would you rather have up and down days at work, never doing the same thing, but make 20k less?

:2cents:The replies will likely follow one's current pay scale. If I was curently making 20K a year; hell yeah I would take the boring job. If I was making 20M a year out of the question.

I am closer to the former:( but would not take the more boring job.

What are the chances of promotion at the current job? How much do you like the current job? How long before you could be making 20k more at the current job?

Would you be making a career at either job or do you possibly have other plans for the future?

OK 30K vs. 50k

Obviously im getting at something here....

That's a big jump. So I'd say... yes.

Don't forget, work is called work for a reason. It shouldn't be fun. Take the extra 20 grand and spend it on fast cars and loose women. That can be your fun/excitement.

Guest ComebackKing

It all depends on how much you need the money. If you can live a fine life at 20k less, I'd go for the more fun job. Waking up every day wanting to go to work is a great feeling.

Forcing yourself out of bed to do stuff you hate everyday can be tough.

Personally, I'd probably go for the money.

OK 30K vs. 50k

Obviously im getting at something here....

At that level take the money and run. If you address it as a percantage change you might get more the answers you are looking for. Maybe ask would you take a boring job for a 66% pay increase.

Don't forget, work is called work for a reason. It shouldn't be fun. Take the extra 20 grand and spend it on fast cars and loose women. That can be your fun/excitement.

I think this gets to the heart of how Zoony feels about work. But we still don't know if WVU is the same kind of guy. Maybe the extra money isn't worth the difference.

But Zoony's is the most fun so far. :)

I'll share the story.

So, I started working this week full time. I work for the International Union of Operating Engineers. The job is temp to hire. The starting pay 49k, excellent for someone just out of school. The thing is, it is sooo boring (not to mention everyone in the office keeps to themselves, or so it seems, and there isn't one social person around). I am a data entry guy (I don't know the actual job title). I just sit there all day and punch in names, addresses, and social security numbers. Its only my second day and im already starting to go crazy.

I'm not getting paid 49k now because I am a temp. But, i've already began to question whether or not I would like to do this job much longer. During the day im just thinkin "ahhh ****" and when the day is over I have been like that wasn't so bad for the money you just made. I dunno. I know its only be two days so im not sure about it all yet.

That is, if they even decide to hire me. I'm still somewhat looking for a job. Tried to get one on the Hill but I think its gonna be really hard until the end of the year. Starting jobs on the Hill pay around 28k-33k

I know I will eventually make up my mind. I was just curious as to what others would do if faced with this possible scenario.

Hours are pretty good too. 8:30-4:15

It all depends on how much you need the money. If you can live a fine life at 20k less, I'd go for the more fun job. Waking up every day wanting to go to work is a great feeling.

Forcing yourself out of bed to do stuff you hate everyday can be tough.

Personally, I'd probably go for the money.

I think im the person who would rather not hate going work every day. I still have no idea what that money could do for my weekends and vacations, though.

They are gonna pay someone 49K to enter names and addresses??? Sure there are not some added duties with the full time hire?

I think talking to people on the phone (customer service type stuff) and working with other temps.

Another downside. No ES at work:mad:

I know thats how many of you get through your work day.

You will ultimately make more money in the long run doing something you like. Your young. If you can live on the lower salary to start, and it's something you enjoy, go for it. You'll perform better and chances are moving up will come much easier. You really need to consider work/life balance when you start out and work to a place that allows you to be happy in both.

In your case it's all a matter of how enticing that money is to YOU. I've had jobs I hated but was paid well, but they were always short term freelance stuff so the money and the idea of it being temporary always got me through it.

Sounds like you know what you WANT to do, you just haven't gotten that job yet. I don't see any problem with taking this job and continuing to look for that other job if at all possible, but I know some people find that un-ethical.

In your case it's all a matter of how enticing that money is to YOU. I've had jobs I hated but was paid well, but they were always short term freelance stuff so the money and the idea of it being temporary always got me through it.

Sounds like you know what you WANT to do, you just haven't gotten that job yet. I don't see any problem with taking this job and continuing to look for that other job if at all possible, but I know some people find that un-ethical.

Na, I don't find it unethical at all. Working at job you hate with good pay? MSF might find it unethical, but no one I know. I tell myself that there are people working ****tier jobs with terrible pay today.

Na, I don't find it unethical at all. Working at job you hate with good pay? MSF might find it unethical, but no one I know. I tell myself that there are people working ****tier jobs with terrible pay today.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant taking the full time job, if offered, with the intentions of only staying there until you get a job on the hill. Or using your time at the new gig to apply for hill jobs.

Plain and simple. You live life once, you must do what makes you happy. Make the money, dont let it make you. Dont do something you dont want to. You are young, and opportunities will come that will blow this one away and it will likely be something you really enjoy doing. Good luck man but if the job makes you unhappy, thats not good either.

thats really sad zoony... i plan to do something i enjoy and get paid for it. thats why 'merica kicks azz!!!

Plain and simple. You live life once, you must do what makes you happy. Make the money, dont let it make you. Dont do something you dont want to. You are young, and opportunities will come that will blow this one away and it will likely be something you really enjoy doing. Good luck man but if the job makes you unhappy, thats not good either.

Thanks man. I pretty much knew what I was gonna do when asking this.

I just wonderd what others in my situation would do. Although, I don't have a another job I could take right now.

I'd pass on the extra cash if it meant I get to get up everyday to a job I love. If not love, then at least get some sense of satisfaction out of it. Getting up everyday for a job you hate will take it's toll on you as time goes by.

Work may just be work, but you spend a good part of your day at it and if you're miserable during those hours, chances are pretty good that it'll carry over to your off hours.

Thanks man. I pretty much knew what I was gonna do when asking this.

I just wonderd what others in my situation would do. Although, I don't have a another job I could take right now.

No problem man, but theres also a flip side. Maybe theres a way you could make the new job a good time and maybe theres an upside to it you arent thinking about. Are there any other perks to the higher paying job besides the money? IE: promotional opportunities, benefits, close knit staff. Coming out of high school I put all of my focus on going to college and becoming this CEO. I had it in my mind that I would be some failure if I wasnt rich. I switched to a career as a paramedic and have found what makes me happy. While the money is good, I will never be mistaken for rich. It was a cancer diagnosis that made me realize this. I figured I'm going to live happy. If I die tommorrow I dont want to spend my days at a place where I want to pull may hair out.

Archived