Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fabini?? does it mean no OL in 1st round?

jujuskinsfan

I don't think it has much to do with Albert being from UVA. It has to do with the fact that all of the big boards have him as a top OL who will fall between the 15th and 25th pick.

If we do end up getting 2 comp picks (bringing our total # of picks to 8), i hope we use at least 3 on OL/DL, hopefully 4. And of these 4, hopefully 2 will be in our first few rounds. We need young depth on our lines.

I'm afraid our first and second round picks are CB and WR, although I have lobbied long and hard to return to the glory days of the Hogs when we had a truly great Offensive Line and correspondingly great offense. The signing of Fabini, despite his performance in the Seattle game, I believe gives an indication of the FO mindset that they've had since the beginning of the Snyder/Cerrato era. That is, OL and DL are just big bodies and you can pick them up whenever you want. It's Fantasy League football at its finest.

We will have to draft a center to back up Rabach, if the FO doesn't gather one off the junk heap of other team's castoffs during pre-season. It would be great to get Steve Justice, because he has the technique and balance that a Center needs. The additional strength training he needs is simpler to accomlish than teaching technique. Unfortunately, he will be gone by the 4th round. I hope I am wrong, but I think we who want a great offensive line will have to endure another draft of 5th and 6th rounders for OL and DL. But the practice squad always needs more players.

I hope I am wrong. But I don't think so.

I don't think we were ever going to draft OL in 1st Round. Probably the middle round and hopefully Buges can molds them into players within a couple seasons. Round 1 we're likely looking recever or defensive end, perhaps cornerback

These are my feeling exactly.

I just don't see how anyone can say ... "oh we can grab a OL'man in the later rounds." Yeah, that's the same scenario every year, there are always OL'man available in every draft of every year in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds..

If we want to end up with another Fabini, or if we want to waste late round draft picks on players like Jim Molarno or Mark Wilson we should wait until the later rounds. What did we get out of those guys? Nothing, but we wasted draft picks on them.

The object of the draft is to maximize the potential of each pick. It';s not just about ther BPA, because that is going to most likely be different for every team. it's the BPA based on a team need. Unless a highly projected player falls to us, Branden Albert at #21 is NOT a reach. He is exactly the caliber of player we need for our future. We cannot aford to dish out $18 million SB to a FA OG.

IMO Albert has more upside than any other WR, CB or DE in this draft. Kenard Lang, Rod Gardner and Carolos Rodgers were all first round picks and skill players. It's time to take the pot of gold that will most likely be sitting right there in front of us.

I am concivnced that Albert is going to make an impact in this league. He as all the OL physical skill sets you look for in a player in the WCO system. He is a high character guy and was coached by a former NFL coach who knows what it takes to succeed at the next level.

BTW, did I mention I hope we take Albert in the first round? :)

I agree 100% with you. Those late round picks can't play starter. I'm all for Branden Albert.

I agree 100% with you. Those late round picks can't play starter. I'm all for Branden Albert.

So what to you makey of Sephan Heyer who wasn't even drafted? If memory serves he did pretty good for us last season. Or maybe you just don't have a clue of what you're talking about. :whoknows:

So what to you makey of Sephan Heyer who wasn't even drafted? If memory serves he did pretty good for us last season. Or maybe you just don't have a clue of what you're talking about. :whoknows:

maybe...then again...maybe he was manhandled when it counted...like the Seattle game.

So all we need is another Heyer? I think we need a more long term solution than that.

Now that we re-signed Fabini, do you think we still could draft an OL in 1st round? I know re-siging Fabini is good for depth, but I still think some youth is needed. How about Branden Albert???Does it still make sense or do you think re-signing Fabini was a priority to draft a CB, a DE or a WR with our 1st round pick rather than an OL?

While youth is needed at that position, I'm not so sure about using a first-rounder there. Most likely, they'll take an OL in the second or third round, but I'd like to see them address defensive end first.

There are always exceptions:silly: Anyway, Heyer will now be a backup, not to mention that he totally screwed the wilcard game at Seattle.

So all we need is another Heyer? I think we need a more long term solution than that.

How is Heyer not a long term solution? :doh:

I want to agree w/ you people and say that we do need to really address the O-line. I actually think that taking Brandon Albert at 21 would be a good idea, I just don't see it happening, however; you guys are making it very difficult for me to agree w/ you when you keep making (for lack of a better phrase) stupid comments/points like this. :doh:

:stupid:

There are always exceptions:silly: Anyway, Heyer will now be a backup, not to mention that he totally screwed the wilcard game at Seattle.

Sure, Heyer is the exception. It is a rare thing to find a player like Heyer in the later rounds of the draft, never mind as a UFA. But there are always one or two of those type of players out there every year, you just have to be a little lucky in finding them.

Heyer didn't totally screw up the Seattle game. There were a lot of break downs all across the field for that one.

You can't sign everyone in one year, and even a 1st round rookie needs time to learn the system.

But to answer your question, I think we reach for a WR or CB in the 1st round. Not what I hope we do, but what I think we'll do.

this is what i hate about the skins being where they are...everytime i descent player comes from virginia/virginia teach/maryland he becomes a "must have" player in the draft....but i guess we would get that anywhere

my beliefs about the quality of a player that Albert is has nothing to do with being from the mid-Atlantic region, VA specifically and UVA more specifically. It has more to do with my own personal opinion of the type of player Albert is, and the kind of player I think he CAN be, combined with what our team needs are.

For the record I went to Clemson, and have been trained to despise VT, UVA and all other ACC teams for that matter. I may be a homer for the skins, but it is because I choose to be so, not because I am not educated or open minded enough to see where my bias may lie, on any football related subject for that matter. Just wanted to throw that out there. :D

great question, I think that was luck smiling down on us. I think Heyer is an anomaly and that he COULD end up being a gift from the football gods. More than anything I think it was a reminder that we need some better depth and youth behind our OL starters.

We can't rely on finding another player with the potential of Heyer out there waiting to be signed.

While youth is needed at that position, I'm not so sure about using a first-rounder there. Most likely, they'll take an OL in the second or third round, but I'd like to see them address defensive end first.

I pretty much agree with this. I don't think we necessarily need to spend our 1st on OL but we also should address it before later rounds. I'd like to see us either pick up a quality OG in the 2nd with a DE/DT and CB in the 3rd (if we have compensatory picks) or a CB in the 2nd with OG DE/DT in the 3rd (again, assuming compensatory picks.) After that BPA. We would have at least 3 more picks so we could stock up on another OL project, a S or LB project.

Archived