Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

so what do you feed your dog/puppy?

.Guy.

I got a cute little puppy two months ago and I want this little guy to be really healthy, smart and well trained and good dog food plays a vital role. The breeder fed him Nutro Healthy Choice for puppies so thats what I fed him. Well I found out recently thats its pretty bad dog food via dog food analysis. I've been slowly switching him over Orijen for puppies. Its supposed to be the best food available so its pretty expensive but it should be well worth it; less health issues in the future and he eats less because it contains no fillers. Anyone have any experience with this food?

What do you feed your dog?

Heres a picture of the little guy.

lol006re4.jpg

Arggh. No good dog food down here. The good stuff in my town is basically Pedigree. The good stuff in the country is Nutro which I'm not big fan of either.

In the states I was really happy with Solid Gold. My puppy had a really sensitive stomach and it was the one food that seemed to work out for him.

Now I have a 110lb dog that has to eat low value nutritional food and I'm really afraid she's paying the consequences with her health as she has very dry skin along with some other issues.

Congrats on the new dog. Best of luck.

Awww, cute doggie!! I feed my dogs (a basset and german shepherd) Science Diet. It can be bought at most vet clinics, Pet Smart, and probably PetCo too. It's kinda expensive, but well worth it...it keeps them really healthy and their coats extremely shiny! Good luck with your dog! :D

The puppy gets science diet I believe,the beast gets generic high protein dog food,trees,furniture ,rose bushes,potatoes,scrap meat/bones and anything else it finds...oh and oatmeal for breakfast.

I hate to be like this, but Science Diet is not very good at all and yes it's very expensive when you consider what they put in it. I'm just saying this for the doggies. :)

EDIT: One reason it's so popular as a "high-quality" food is that they give that **** away to Veterinarians, who believe it or not don't really take any nutrition courses in school. In fact a lot of what they do learn in that regards is through dog food reps giving lectures. :doh:

And FWIW, I have two family members who are Vets.

I hate to be like this, but Science Diet is not very good at all and yes it's very expensive when you consider what they put it in. I'm just saying this for the doggies. :)

Yeah,I know...it might not even be science diet,it's in a purple bag and looks like rabbit pellets...I look for the beast to eat the puppy by mistake one day anyway ;)

How do ya feel about Ol Roy HP?

Yeah,I know...it might not even be science diet,it's in a purple bag and looks like rabbit pellets...I look for the beast to eat the puppy by mistake one day anyway ;)

How do ya feel about Ol Roy HP?

I've never heard of it. In the second post I gave my recommendation and stand behind that brand very much although it's probably more expensive than Science Diet. What breed is your beast? Mine is two kinds of Mastiff, and as you see above she eats stuff much worst than Science Diet, so don't take it personally. Unfortunately, I think she's definitely suffering because of it.

I hate to be like this, but Science Diet is not very good at all and yes it's very expensive when you consider what they put in it. I'm just saying this for the doggies. :)

Interesting, this is the first time I've heard anything about that. My dogs have done really well on the Science Diet and have shinier coats than previous dogs I've had. My basset had a really sensitive stomach when I got him too and this food was pretty much the only thing that didn't bother him.

I was just really happy Science Diet wasn't one of the many recalled dog foods awhile back. I definitely want to look more into things now that you've brought up the issue though, so thanks! :D

The beast is a Rott/cattledog mix supposedly(rescue pickup) with a silky coat to die for.

If you don't recognize Ol Roy you must not shop at Walmart(Walmart brand high protien).

I have always fed mine that or purina Hi-Pro ,plus a mix of scraps/bones and fresh vegetables...plus cooked oatmeal.

All have been very healthy and lived long lives,I see no reason to change.

Interesting, this is the first time I've heard anything about that. My dogs have done really well on the Science Diet and have shinier coats than previous dogs I've had. My basset had a really sensitive stomach when I got him too and this food was pretty much the only thing that didn't bother him.

I was just really happy Science Diet wasn't one of the many recalled dog foods awhile back. I definitely want to look more into things now that you've brought up the issue though, so thanks! :D

Merrick is another good brand. Keep in mind the brands that I'm recommending are holistic brands so they're bound to be more expensive. But consider that dog's haven't been eating dry food for all that long really and they're natural diet is clearly holistic.

And for the record, I do not eat holistically at all myself. But I love my dogs and I got suckered into reading some literature on all this and haven't been able to turn back since.

Also, I've been told just sprinkling a little olive oil or something of that nature on your dogs food with help with a shiny coat. I know that fish oil will as well.

We go with Purina One.

If you can afford it, avoid any brand that is publicly traded. Quality is never high on the list of priorities for those guys and they are the companies that were a part of the recall.

The beast is a Rott/cattledog mix supposedly(rescue pickup) with a silky coat to die for.

If you don't recognize Ol Roy you must not shop at Walmart(Walmart brand high protien).

I have always fed mine that or purina Hi-Pro ,plus a mix of scraps/bones and fresh vegetables...plus cooked oatmeal.

All have been very healthy and lived long lives,I see no reason to change.

Cattle dogs are great. I like Rotts too, but they've been inbred a bit too much down here so they're really safe to get.

No Walmart down here. :)

Check out the above statement in regards to Purina.

I have used homemade diets to proplan to purina one. My bassets are on purina one. Also watch the treats I use blue dog bakery. You can get them online or at some grocery stores and pet stores. They are all natural. My bassets flip over the peanut butter mollases.

Archived