Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama to Give Speech on Race Tomorrow

#98QBKiller

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/obama-to-give-speech-on-race-tomorrow/

Obama to Give Speech on Race Tomorrow

By Brian Knowlton

Senator Barack Obama plans to deliver a major speech on race tomorrow in Philadelphia, as his campaign struggled to contain the controversy over his church’s longtime pastor, the Reverend Jeremiah Wright Jr.

Aides said Mr. Obama would talk about Mr. Wright, who recently retired from the United Church of Christ in Chicago, and about how race has played out in the campaign. Mr. Obama is trying not just to distance himself from the minister’s more provocative statements, but to keep his political opponents from defining him on their terms.

The flap has also raised questions about faith and patriotism. Mr. Obama - who has been criticized even for not wearing an American flag lapel pin - has rarely bid farewell to an audience on the campaign trail the way he did on Monday. “God bless you and God bless America!” he told the crowd in Monaca, Pennsylvania.

Mr. Obama may be able to ride out a subcontroversy over whether he was actually in the pew of his Chicago church when Mr. Wright made remarks like the “God damn America” comment during one sermon. Mr. Obama and his campaign have denied that he was there; news videos show him in Miami that day.

Still, his close relationship to Mr. Wright over many years complicates his efforts to detach himself.

Mr. Wright married the Obamas and baptized their two daughters. The title of one of Obama’s books, “The Audacity of Hope,” came from a Wright sermon.

Some supporters emphasized the degree of separation and argued against guilt by association. But critics contended that the embrace was too close to deny persuasively.

“Obama is meant to be the man who transcends the divisions of race, the candidate who doesn’t damn America but ‘heals’ it,” the conservative commentator Mark Steyn wrote on National Review Online. “Yet, since his early 20s he’s sat week after week listening to the ravings of just another cookie-cutter race huckster.”

Some Democrats said they hoped Mr. Obama’s clear denunciation of Wright’s comments would help put the controversy behind him. But others questioned Mr. Obama’s judgment in not distancing himself sooner from Wright, who was part of the candidate’s spiritual advisory committee until Friday.

A top Obama adviser acknowledged that even a year ago the campaign was aware that Wright could pose a problem. When Mr. Obama announced his presidential candidacy on Feb. 10, 2007, a decision was made not to include Wright, who had been expected to lead an invocation.

“There was no doubt that there was controversy surrounding him,” David Axelrod, the campaign’s chief strategist, told the Los Angeles Times in an article on Sunday. He added that “we didn’t want to expose him” or “make him the target and a distraction on a day when Senator Obama was going to announce his candidacy.”

And:

Obama set to deliver speech on race, Wright

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) — Far from putting the controversial issue of race behind him, Barack Obama has decided to address the issue head on in a speech Tuesday.

"I am going to be talking not just about Reverend Wright, but the larger issue of race in this campaign — which has ramped up over the last couple of weeks," Obama told reporters in Monaca, Pennsylvania.

Obama's chief strategist David Axelrod characterized the speech, to be delivered in Philadelphia, as "a discussion on race and politics."

"Given the events of the last few weeks, Obama felt it was time to address the issue of race and politics directly, and what it means in our country," Axelrod said.

News of the speech comes days after the Illinois senator formally denounced controversial sermons delivered by his former minister and longtime friend, Jeremiah Wright. The racially-charged remarks came under fire after being the subject of an ABC News report last week.

Axelrod described the Illinois senator as "a force for reconciliation" and said he wants the opportunity "to put this into context."

Speaking with reporters, Obama said the media is portraying Wright inaccurately.

"I think the caricature that is being painted of him is not accurate, and so part of what I will do tomorrow is to talk about how these issues are perceived from within the black church community for example which I think skews this very differently."

UPDATE: Axelrod later told CNN's Gloria Borger that the Illinois senator has "always contemplated giving a speech like this."

“He will address the broader questions of race and politics, these are complex issues that transcend Barack Obama, and are fault lines in our politics and society, and, ultimately, can be a barrier…They’re easily exploited, and hard to address," he said.

This is smart. He can't be touched on this subject unless his opponents want to try and make him out to be a "kill whitey" kind of person, like they already are. And that tactic is likely to back-fire in the end as it only works for those that can't think for themselves.

I look forward to the GE and seeing if both McCain and Obama stick to their vows of no dirt.

The saddest part about all of this is that Obama is starting to play politician by telling people what they want to hear. Even though I disagree with almost every stance he takes, there are many Americans who think he is this new found hope. Unfortunately people are becoming blind and will buy his message. The way I see it he listened to this man for twenty years, this results in bad judgement on his part.

Do we really need a President who isn't able to remove himself from a situation where his pastor is preaching hate?

This is smart. He can't be touched on this subject unless his opponents want to try and make him out to be a "kill whitey" kind of person, like they already are. And that tactic is likely to back-fire in the end as it only works for those that can't think for themselves.

I look forward to the GE and seeing if both McCain and Obama stick to their vows of no dirt.

He attended the church for twenty years, TWENTY YEARS, Im not even a politician. It wouldn't take me more than one Sunday to realize what he is starting to smooth talk his way out of.

He attended the church for twenty years, TWENTY YEARS, Im not even a politician. It wouldn't take me more than one Sunday to realize what he is starting to smooth talk his way out of.

The question is, do you actually think he agrees with his pastor?

The question is, do you actually think he agrees with his pastor?

I have two stories, one I am a Christian, my wife is an agnostic. Through prayer I really think the Lord has had a hand in helping me show her the light and the kindness of Christians that often isn't portrayed in the media. She is a Democrat, I would put her on the very liberal (anti war, pro gay marriage type) I am an Independant that typically will vote Republican.

With in the past couple of years she started coming to church with me, I love it, I think it's important and I honestly think she is seeing how it is Awesome for our family.

With that being said, I asked her a question this weekend while we were watching the news. I asked her "If our pastor preached what Jerimiah Wright is preaching would you continue to attend church with me"?

Pretty simple question right?

Guess what her answer was? ------------No Way.

Church isn't the place to preach hate, it is a holy place where Christians and non-believers learn about kindness, and sharing the love of God. Obama attended this Church for TWENTY YEARS, now can you honestly tell me that you would attend a church that preached hate of America for twenty years for more than a day?

do you agree with everything your pastor says?

-Grant

The real questions are,

is church the place for this type of hate speech?

and

would you continue to attend a church and support a pastor that preached hate for more than twenty years?

I will admit McCain has made some bad campaign stops and has accepted some bad endorsements on the other hand, this wasn't a campaign stop for Obama, he has very close ties with Wright.

-Grant

No but if I were running for president, would my church of 20 years have this on their website? Would you vote for me?

We are a congregation which is Unashamedly White and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the White religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an European American people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a White worship service and ministries which address the White Community.

The Pastor as well as the membership of Trinity United Church of Christ is committed to a 10-point Vision:

A congregation committed to ADORATION.

A congregation preaching SALVATION.

A congregation actively seeking RECONCILIATION.

A congregation with a non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO Europe.

A congregation committed to BIBLICAL EDUCATION.

A congregation committed to CULTURAL EDUCATION.

A congregation committed to the HISTORICAL EDUCATION OF European American PEOPLE IN DIASPORA.

A congregation committed to LIBERATION.

A congregation committed to RESTORATION.

A congregation working towards ECONOMIC PARITY.

-Grant

No, but I've quit going to Churches where I disagreed enough with what was said. My wife and I lived in NYC we went to one Church exactly ONE time and simply based on the sermon said, 'Well, we don't need to go back to that one.'

I have two stories, one I am a Christian, my wife is an agnostic. Through prayer I really think the Lord has had a hand in helping me show her the light and the kindness of Christians that often isn't portrayed in the media. She is a Democrat, I would put her on the very liberal (anti war, pro gay marriage type) I am an Independant that typically will vote Republican.

I like your story. It's very nice, seriously.

But the point I was trying to get at, is clearly Obama doesn't feel this way. It's a non-story to me. This is just politics. I care little about this story, just as I care little about McCain's wife's issues in the past.

Politics will be politics, but people don't take the time to say, do I really think Obama feels the same way as his preacher? Do I have anyone in my life who has said things I may be embarrassed about? Is it possible he has a relationship with his preacher that has less to do with beliefs and more to do with interpersonal relations?

That's my issue with all this.

And for the record, I'm an independent who think Obama/McCain is like a dream come true matchup. But I never forget they are both politicians and it's all political games.

The real questions are,

is church the place for this type of hate speech?

and

would you continue to attend a church and support a pastor that preached hate for more than twenty years?

I will admit McCain has made some bad campaign stops and has accepted some bad endorsements on the other hand, this wasn't a campaign stop for Obama, he has very close ties with Wright.

Oh I agree (and No I would not attend or support that type of church and I agree Obama has problems). However, this problem runs deeper then just Obama's church (most churches have had problems), I'm Roman Catholic and trust me we have had our share of problems.

-Grant

Politics will be politics, but people don't take the time to say, do I really think Obama feels the same way as his preacher?.

Do you?

Do you think that he probably should have distanced himself long before running for President instead of yesterday?

Doesn't part of his platform talk about the same "old" types of politics?

and

isn't he playing that same old "politics" now?

Do I have anyone in my life who has said things I may be embarrassed about?.

Do you?

If they were a pastor of a church would you attend their church for twenty years even though you were embarrased about their message?

Would you ask this person to marry you and your wife and baptise your children?

Would you ask this person to help you name your book?

Is it possible he has a relationship with his preacher that has less to do with beliefs and more to do with interpersonal relations? .

Should a Presidential candidate (quite possibly the most powerful job in the world) have these types of relationships?

Do you?

My choice at the moment is Obama or Hillary on the Dem side. Same as anyone else. I'll take my chances with Obama and his preacher.

I'm glad he didn't distance himself prior, it's called being real. He has reasons he likes his preacher, I'm told he wrote about him in his book with reverence. Do you think this preacher has no redeemable qualities?

And furthermore put your chips on the table, please. You clearly never had any possibility of voting for Obama and seem to be happy for his demise.

Well it should be interesting to hear what he has to say about race. I wonder which race he'll talk about. The presidential race? The human race? The tortoise and the hare perhaps? I've waited all of my life to hear what Obama has to say about race ;). The press will eat this up w/a spoon and lick the bowl.

I hear the old political spin machine starting to wind itself into a frenzy. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Reading the posts of those supporting Obama shows that there is nothing that he can do in their eyes to disqualify him from the Presidency. If you don't understand that the rantings of that pastor were hate speech, you are clearly fooling yourselves. For Obama to say that he didn't hear those things said, and wasn't aware of them, means that he is lying or amazingly stupid. For your sakes, pick the first, it's easier to fix.

I expect that in the speech tomorrow, Obama will try to have it both ways. He will use race as a tool -- both a weapon and a shield.He bills himself as the candidate of reconciliation, yet he holds Reverend Wright in such esteem. The two don't correlate. It just doesn't work.

On one hand, I'm glad that this is shining a light on a sliver of black America that thinks such ridiculous thought. It needs to be exposed, discussed, and defeated. Just like any racism, it does not survive the light of day. On the other hand, I'm afraid that it will give many on both sides reasons to distrust -- yet another wedge. It's the last thing we need, but it's good to find out Obama before it's too late.

On one hand, I'm glad that this is shining a light on a sliver of black America that thinks such ridiculous thought. It needs to be exposed, discussed, and defeated. Just like any racism, it does not survive the light of day. On the other hand, I'm afraid that it will give many on both sides reasons to distrust -- yet another wedge. It's the last thing we need, but it's good to find out Obama before it's too late.

Don't you want to give him enough time before you pass judgement? Maybe, thats what he'll actually discuss?

Archived