Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles and RB Kevin Jones interested in each other

DWinzit

Jones says Eagles among teams interested in his services

By JOSEPH SANTOLIQUITO

Philadelphia Daily News

Kevin Jones says he wouldn't mind playing next season for the Eagles, the team he was a fan of during his youth in Chester. The 6-1, 230-pound, 4-year NFL running back and former Cardinal O'Hara High star was released by the Detroit Lions on Thursday, opening up plenty of options for next season.

Two hours after the Lions' release was made public, 12 teams showed interest, according to Jones, including the Eagles.

"When the Lions drafted me, it came as a big shock, because they weren't that much in the picture. It wasn't my dream situation. It would be a dream, however, to play for the Eagles. Going back to Philly, with all my relatives and friends back there, that's home to me. Chester will always be home to me. I have a real support system there in Philadelphia. Playing for the Eagles would be great."

This is a great situation for me, because now I can shop myself around and see what's out there. I want to go somewhere where I can get the ball and have a chance to compete. I want to play for a team that has a winning history. I want to say this, too, I didn't get cut because of my talent and ability to perform."

And sharing a backfield with Eagles star Brian Westbrook...

"Are you kidding me? That would be awesome," Jones said. "I'd love to play with Brian Westbrook. He's one of the best backs, if not the best back in the league. I definitely wouldn't mind doing that. I can learn some things from Brian Westbrook."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/nfl/20080315_Jones_says_Eagles_among_teams_interested_in_his_services.html

I'd say.

With FB's Schable and now Klecko and RB's WB, Buckhalter, Moats, Hunt, Davis and I don't know who else they have, someone is going to be fired.

First, I don't know how seriously to take this possibility. Jones says he has no problem splitting with BWest, which makes it feasible. Still, I imagine someone else will be able to offer more time/money and he'll likely sign there.

If he was to sign, this would be the scenario in the backfield.

FB- Klecko. If Klecko can't be a full-time fullback, Davis will get the job. Otherwise, Davis is cut.

RB- Westbrook, Buckhalter, Jones, Hunt. I think the brass is proud of standing by Buckhalter through injuries, too proud to cut him now. It seems they are woefully unimpressed with Tony Hunt.

5 backs isn't tough to carry. They did it last year with Mahe. Although Mahe was also a returner, making his roster spot easier to handle, Tapeh did not play on a single special team unit. Klecko will probably play on all of them.

First, I don't know how seriously to take this possibility. Jones says he has no problem splitting with BWest, which makes it feasible. Still, I imagine someone else will be able to offer more time/money and he'll likely sign there.

Makes sense to me. When BWest is hurt Jones can play. When Jones is hurt BWest will play.:laugh:

But seriously I think it would be a good move for the Iggles. If you line up Jones behind your new big man Klecko, that is a whole lotta meat coming across the line.

This is surprising to me. I like Hunt and was disappointed when the Eagles drafted him.

I think Mahe should continue to be the Eagles return man. ;)

I love Hunt as well - but I just don't know if his style of running fits in the NFL, and especially on this team. His forte in college was running the ball 25x per game and just destroying the opposition in the 4th quarter when they were worn out. We all know how much AR likes to do THAT.

As to Mahe, he should retire again, because he'll never again get the welcome he got in week 2 this season after JR Reed and Glew lost the Packer game. He was the most celebrated 4th string running back EVER.

I love Hunt as well - but I just don't know if his style of running fits in the NFL, and especially on this team. His forte in college was running the ball 25x per game and just destroying the opposition in the 4th quarter when they were worn out. We all know how much AR likes to do THAT.
I was hoping Hunt would have lasted another round and the Redskins grab him. Now I don't think he'll fit with the Redskins either. Good player in the wrong city. I bet someone takes a shot at him when he becomes a RFA.

Not sure if I would go to the Eagle with that many RB's. I don't understand why players (maybe they do it, maybe not) don't get their agents to look at teams who actually need a RB or RB depth, so you can get playing time.

If free agents don't do this currently, than they are the laziest *******s in America.

This would be a good for the Eagles. Jones could do well as a backup

lol. You think? Seriously, someone hinted that the RBs for the Eagles are in question. (Except for WB of course) If Hunt was half the player they thought he was, they would not be taking a flyer on Jones.

Well, that sucks if they take him, if he can stay healthy, he is a really good running back.

I felt so bad for him this season, back from a year long injury and gets hurt in one or two games back and is out for the rest of the season.

Archived