Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Basenji owners out there???

SkinsOrlando

Well, I bought a male basenji puppy today, I lost my "custody" case over my male pug with the ex-wife this morning and it left me feeling very empty so I figured i'd look for a dog. Looking turned into buying, and ended up buying a basenji after finding a breeder in the paper. Here's the thing, I don't know much about these dogs, which goes against everything I tell people when they buy a dog but I just had this feeling this was the type of dog for me. Anyone own or have owned one who can give me some hints or tell me about em. I have 2 female pugs that adapt well to others and I have a fenced yard. I bring him home Sunday morning.

Thanks,

SO

Aren't those the dogs that don't bark? There were a couple in my neighborhood growing up. Didn't strike me as overly-friendly, nor did they strike me as agressive. They were just kind of 'there'.

Very good looking dogs though, and I know the couple who owned them were very passionate about them. So I'm sure they have a lot of redeeming qualities

Congratulations on the new dog :cheers:

I've known a couple people who owned them, but didn't know them WHEN they owned them. From what I understand they're harder to deal with then people will let on. But these were first time dog owners and neither made it the distance with them.

I also had a friend that had one and swore they were the best dogs ever. I do believe they are loyal to the owner but otherwise aloof.

I like this site's temperament info.

The Basenji is alert, affectionate, demanding, energetic and curious. It loves to play and makes a good pet, as long as it is handled regularly from an early age. It is very intelligent, responds well to training with a strong desire to please. They can be reserved with strangers. The Basenji is somewhat aloof, but can also form strong bonds with people. It should not be trusted with non-canine pets. They are usually patient, but do best with older considerate children. The Basenji dislike wet weather. They like to chew, so giving them lots of toys of their own would be a good idea. The breed likes to climb and can easily get over chain wire fences. Basenji are very clever at getting their own way, they succeed less by obstinacy than by charm. It has the unique properties of not barking (it makes a low, liquid ululation instead) and of cleaning itself like a cat. It can be described as speedy, frisky, tireless at play and teasing the owner into play. Their strong desire to play can lead to behavior problems if left alone. Most Basenji problems usually involve a mismatch between owner and pet. The owners mistake the adjective "quiet' to mean inactive instead of noiseless; thus, they become harassed by an active, though relatively silent , dog.

You can probably expect a lot more exercise demands than the pugs have given you. Best of luck.

Well, well, well. Welcome to the world of being owned by a Basenji. To the rest of you that might sound a little backwards. However, to a Basenji person it means all is right with the world.

You’re about to have some of the most frustrating, yet fun times of your life. They’re incredibly smart…sometimes a little too smart for their own good. Be especially careful of opening the door and leaving him/her unattended in the yard as they’re excellent escape artists. Unfortunately their prey drive usually means they don’t pay attention to traffic which can lead to tragic results if they do get out.

Finally, while I generally do support adopting there are some advantages to buying from a reputable breeder. You’ll know the heredity of the dog, which is important because Basenjis can occasionally have genetic issues. More importantly, the breeder will be a great resource for you throughout the life of the dog. If you have any questions about how to handle things, just call him/her. You’re also welcome to PM me as well.

If you didn’t see my previous post, Sinbad was my much beloved Basenji who was taken from me much too soon by lung cancer.

Just remember, it's a lifelong commitment and never lose your sense of humor. You will need it. :)

If you didn’t see my previous post, Sinbad was my much beloved Basenji who was taken from me much too soon by lung cancer.

Just remember, it's a lifelong commitment and never lose your sense of humor. You will need it. :)

I just went to that site you made for Sinbad and have to say it was incredibly touching.

Never heard of the dog before, but the wife and I have been considering a dog for a couple years now.

After reading a little about them, do you think an invisible fence would be effective for them ?

I love dogs, but haven't owned one as an adult, and my wife has never owned one. But she fell in love with the pics. We are also considering a Staffordshire, or Weimaraner.

Thanks for any help or input.

I'm not a Basenji owner, but I do own a New Guinea Singing Dog (NGSD, or Singer). The appearance is very close to that of a Basenji and by what I've read, their temperment seems to be very similar. They are a handfull and I'm sure you realized this, but they will be a lot more active than your pugs. They are very affectinate dogs but may become attached and cause havoc when you are away because of seperation anxiety. I would try and crate train it, something I attempted to do with my dog but he would howl (like a coyote) when he was in there something my neighbors didn't like too much. They are adorable and loveable dogs who will give you their whole attention, like to cause mischeif but overall the trouble is worth it. The good times greatly outweigh the hassle, just keep in mind these dogs (at least my NGSD) will keep you running around as if they were a two year old child for their first few years of existance.

Good luck and have fun with your new Basenji (post any pics if you have some).

Kosher Ham I doubt an invisible fence will work with a Basenji. The dog will probably figure out that if he runs fast enough the shock will only be momentary. At that point, you've probably got a flat Basenji on your hands given what I mentioned earlier about their lack of attention to danger when they're chasing something-which is almost always when they're outside.

Basenji owners really love their dogs and I was no different. However, it's a breed that simply isn't for everyone. For anyone who's considering it, please read the article below and think very carefully before getting one.

The following article was written several years ago by the late Jennie Taylor, former BRAT coordinator. It is worth reading if you are considering adopting a basenji.

Is a Basenji the right dog for me and my family?

This is a great question. If everyone who is thinking about getting a basenji would ask this question, there would probably be fewer basenjis in rescue. The best way to answer it is to think about yourself, your family, why you want a dog, and what you want from your dog. Consider the following:

1. Is your home life pretty hectic right now, with small children and lots of activity? Are you caring for a dependent family member? Do you need to be away many hours each day because of your job or because you travel often? Maybe a dog is not the best choice for you at this time.

2. What kind of dog do you want? One who is highly obedient and lives only to please you? One who can safely be allowed to run off-leash? One who just likes to lie around the house all of the time? Do you want a dog who has never met a stranger and who instantly loves everyone, including small children?

"Yes" responses to any of these questions should lead you to question whether a basenji is right for you.

Basenjis are obedient some of the time, but they are sight hounds, bred for generations to be independent thinkers. They need both physical and mental stimulation, and if they see anything of interest to pursue (literally or figuratively), they will not hesitate to pursue it.

Basenjis are active, often fearless dogs who, when off-leash, may run in front of a vehicle without the slightest sense of danger. This behavior is driven by the basenji's survival instinct and should not be underestimated. Some basenjis are outgoing, but others are more reserved and need to be allowed to warm up to strangers before being petted. Many are wonderful with children, but others don't like them much at all. Read the Reality Stories on this site http://www.basenjirescue.org/ to find out some of the harder truths about life with basenjis.

3. Do you want an intelligent dog? A dog who will challenge you and may even outsmart you on occasion? Do you want a dog who is cheerfully disobedient? Are you willing to laugh at yourself when your dog puts one over on you? If you answered yes to these questions, a basenji might be just the right dog for you.

4. Are you willing to put in the time and effort it takes to be a basenji owner? Will you go to training with the attitude that the training is more for YOU than for your basenji? Are you willing to take your basenji for long walks, play silly games, cuddle as needed, and provide the consistent care and nurturing a basenji needs? If you answered "yes" to these questions, a basenji may be waiting for you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BRAT has received adoption applications stating a preference for a calm and obedient dog.

Calm and obedient, are not qualities normally associated with Basenjis. A calm manner may be seen in an adult Basenji, but obedience is rarely demonstrated. An indigenous dog of Africa, Basenjis inherently lack the domestic qualities we see in other breeds. They are not motivated to serve man. They think independently and need a reason to pay attention to a human command.

You might ask: If these dogs are so hard to handle and so uncontrollable why do people want them?

Basenji owners make a vast range of comments about their behavior and personality. One person will say, They are very energetic but not especially destructive, while another will wail, He ate his way out of the bathroom! While the adoption postings certainly make them sound sweet and loving enough, Basenjis can range from highly destructive and aggressive to perfect angels . . . like every breed. The closest truth is that Basenjis need positive training. If they are in a household where a heavy hand is used for training, they are more likely be aggressive and mean.

Basenjis are curious, active and self-directed by nature. If they are bored or anxious, they can get into a lot of trouble emptying trash cans, chewing furniture, eating shoes and clothing, exploring the cat box, and destroying a wide variety of things that would amaze you! Never underestimate the wily nature of a Basenji. These activities give them great pleasure and using force or severe discipline will not change their predisposition to do them. The best strategy is to remove the temptations. Put shoes away and waste baskets out of reach. Close doors and crate or kennel them if they will be unsupervised for any period of time (at least until they can be trusted).

Basenjis are not easily trainable. They respond well to clicker training and lots of positive reinforcement (hot dog bits don't hurt either) but, generally, they are self-determined and will comply only when they want to. When you get to know your Basenji you can watch him "deciding" whether to do what you have asked. This is not a trait everybody can live with.

In addition, the Basenji is a sighthound with a high prey-drive. (Don't even think about training thousands of years of nature out of them!) They like to hunt anything and everything that moves and will tear after all things that interest them, with complete reckless abandon. Sadly, this is the behavior that gets them killed most often; as they run into the path of cars without being cognizant of what they are doing. Their natural instinct also makes them bolt through open doors. No amount of calling and commanding will bring them back until they have satisfied their curiosity. These are traits shared by all sighthounds, including Greyhounds, Whippets, Borzoi, Saluki and Afghan hounds.

In 30 years of living with Basenjis I have had some that are more compliant than others. Some have been more destructive than others and some more aloof than others. I've not had one that could pass by a tissue without ripping it up. Nor have I had one that would come every time I called . . . although some were more obedient than others.

So, getting back to the question, If these dogs are so hard to handle and so uncontrollable why do people want them? For me it is because when they love you, you know it is completely their idea. There is no blind following or genetic predisposition to respect humans. You have earned their respect and affection. They challenge me and I find myself asking, How can I outwit this dog? . . . and enjoying it!

On a more surface level, they are clean and odor-free and they don't bark. They are a wonderfully portable size but still big enough for a good cuddle. Finally, they are simply magnificent to look at and watch.

The descriptions given with our BRAT listings are accurate. We represent the dogs truthfully and will not accept a dog for re-homing if its temperament is determined to be unsavory. We have placed dogs that have reportedly bitten, but we have discovered that often (not always) the temperament problems are caused by an inappropriate home, not a "bad" dog.

Basenjis are not for everyone. If blind obedience is a desired quality in a dog, a Basenji should never be considered. But if a wonderful companion is wanted--and a relationship where on-going negotiations are the norm--and you have time to give your Basenji lots of loving attention, then this might be the dog for you.

Here are 4 pictures, the last one being of a Basenji (the first 3 of my dog Archie).

Edit: Horray for me! I finally figured out how to put pictures in posts! I really wish I would've figured this out for the "What breed of dog is your favorite?" thread.

Is that a puggle in the upper right pic? Far right

And i have a friend thats always had basenjis, they dont bark but they do yoddle, its cute and funny :D

They CAN be very stingy/disobedient, or the most loveable dog you've ever had

Nope, he's a chihuahua/miniature pinscher mix (we think he's got something else in him too).

Yeah, my new guinea singing dog doesn't bark, he howls. Quite honestly it can be annoying at times. And yes, he can be fairly disobedient, always wanting this or that. That will change over time, he's learning and becoming a better dog. It's like having a 2 year old running around all over the place.

This was my puggle. I only say WAS because he's basically my parents now, since he never made the move with us. This was him at 9 or 10 weeks the day before we got i

2005_11_puggle.jpg

His picture was on the front page of the NY Post when there was a media blitz on puggles. That was all set up before he was ours, btw.

I have yet to figure this out, whats the secret?

It's not always easy.

If it's a pic on the web you should be able to copy the pictures location and paste it in between and

If it's on your CPU you can go to "manage attachments" under the message box in the advanced options and find it on your CPU and load it.

Sometimes it takes me a few tries.

get ready for some flaming because you bought instead of adopted :rolleyes:

Or the adopt people will just be happy that another dog found it's way to a great owner and will have a wonderful life. Your comment sucks.

Anyway, Good luck SO!

As an Akita owner, I can certainly understand being trained by your dog. Those cute little suckers sound like a real hand full.

Electric fences don't work well for a lot of different dogs.

I love dogs, but haven't owned one as an adult, and my wife has never owned one. But she fell in love with the pics. We are also considering a Staffordshire, or Weimaraner.

Thanks for any help or input.

Staffs are great, a little needy and a lot like boxers, another great dog.

Weimaraners are super hyper, aren't they? They remind me a lot of labs.

Your choices seem all over the place, but that's just me.

It's not always easy.

If it's a pic on the web you should be able to copy the pictures location and paste it in between and

If it's on your CPU you can go to "manage attachments" under the message box in the advanced options and find it on your CPU and load it.

Sometimes it takes me a few tries.

I tried so many times to copy and paste from the 'net with ... and all I got was the ol' url code when I previewed. I had to save pictures off the net and then go to the advanced options and upload them from my comp. Sorry for the off topic post, but I've been trying to get that down for some time now. So refreshing.

Well, I bought a male basenji puppy today, I lost my "custody" case over my male pug with the ex-wife this morning and it left me feeling very empty so I figured i'd look for a dog. Looking turned into buying, and ended up buying a basenji after finding a breeder in the paper. Here's the thing, I don't know much about these dogs, which goes against everything I tell people when they buy a dog but I just had this feeling this was the type of dog for me. Anyone own or have owned one who can give me some hints or tell me about em. I have 2 female pugs that adapt well to others and I have a fenced yard. I bring him home Sunday morning.

Thanks,

SO

I just want you to know that Basenji's are the official gay dog of DC. If you own a dog and your gay its a Basenji.

Archived