Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phillip Merling Draft Status Dropping...

2006Skins

Due to a surgery for a sports hernia. Some are saying it may drop him to the second round.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/03/13/mock.draft4.part2/index.html

Clemson defensive end Phillip Merling was our pick for Carolina in the last mock, but he had surgery to fix a sports hernia this week, didn't run the 40 at the combine either and probably won't work out for scouts before the draft. He could be headed for a tumble into the 20s of the first round.

This could make the draft a lot more interesting. My opinion is that we gamble that he is there in the 2nd round. Though this is an injury that can linger, it could be worth the gamble.

It looks like the stocks of Merling and Calais Campbell are falling. I think that we'll be in good position to pick up one of the top possession WRs in the 1st. If we hold off on DE until the second, I think either Merling or Campbell will be available, if not both.

Not a big fan of Merling. Would like to see someone with more of a passrushing upside than a younger version of Daniels. Need to improve that position, not stay the same. Especially if it's a first round investment.

My concern with Merling isn't so much injury, but the competition in college. He also didn't see too many double teams. I think him being a first rounder will be too risky for a lot of teams, but this team is in prime position to risk a 2nd rounder on a player with Merling or Campbell's potential.

My concern with Merling isn't so much injury, but the competition in college. He also didn't see too many double teams. I think him being a first rounder will be too risky for a lot of teams, but this team is in prime position to risk a 2nd rounder on a player with Merling or Campbell's potential.

Merling's been diagnosed by some experts as a more 'complete' NFL prospect than Gaines Adams who went in the top 5 to TB last year. He's certainly never projected that high in any of the mocks I've seen, but thats probably because the top of the draft is so much richer in DLs than it was last year.

It looks like the stocks of Merling and Calais Campbell are falling. If we hold off on DE until the second, I think either Merling or Campbell will be available, if not both.

This would be the Ideal scenario. If those two guys along with Lawrence Jackson and Chris Ellis are available by the time we pick in the 2nd, I'd be so happy that I'd piss in my pants.

Branden Albert in the 1st and any of these DEs would make me a very happy skins fan :D .

the competition in college? you realize he played in the ACC, which is probably the 3rd best football conference.

so are you saying that theres no competition outside of the SEC or something? i mean, merling played against:

FSU (used to be great but still won the 05 ACC championship)

Miami

boston college (who won the ACC championship on 07)

wake forest (won ACC championship in 06)

virginia tech

he played against the same level of competition as chris long who is projected as a top 5 pick. i dont hear anyone arguing about the level of competition long faced.

It looks like the stocks of Merling and Calais Campbell are falling. I think that we'll be in good position to pick up one of the top possession WRs in the 1st. If we hold off on DE until the second, I think either Merling or Campbell will be available, if not both.

Good analysis. I agree.

check out Redskins.com

They did a positional analysis on the DE and DT positions. They want a young DE for depth that could develop into a star later on. and DT that could provide pressure up the middle.

So i dont think they are going to pick a top 1 and top 2 draft pick on DE. maybe a 5th a th or 6th rounder. that is my take. they have 3 guys on their roster tha will compete for a spot this coming year. so they are not looking for potential starter right on DE.

So my take is that they are going for Guard and CB in the first 2 rounds. they only way the will pick a top DE or DT is that a top player will drop down to us.

I'm in the Campbell bandwagon myself, but at our 2nd round pick. I don't think he'll last til our 2nd round pick but if we can trade up for him that would be a pretty sweet deal.

Or trade down from #21 to a late 1st or high 2nd. Pick up Merling or Campbell if they drop and add a 3rd or 4th rounder.

But if Glenn Dorsey's injury concerns have him fall to 21..snatch him quick. Wishful thinking there.
Here's to hoping Long, Dorsey, Ellis or Harvey free fall - they all suck!;)

Unfortunately most of the other DL appear to be awful risky at #21.

can we please get off the wr in the first round. please. our need at wr is not that big. oline and dline please thanx. theres not a wr out there in this draft that has peeked my intrest soo much that i would give a 1st for them. sweed looks good but we need oline much more.you've got 4 guys there that are either very old or injury prone. and age and injuries go hand in hand. this team has rolled the dice on this position and on cb's and have been burned. don't want fabini back. he was owned in the playoff game. if we don't deal with this issue we are going to end up like the cheifs, they had an old but devistating oline that up and retired and they had ignored the position and weren't ready when they retired. well we are looking at that too plus someone being hurt right out of the league. those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it.

Archived