Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phillip Merling Draft Status Dropping...

2006Skins

The more I see on film and the more scouting reports I read, I'm not sure that many of these second-tier defensive linemen have the skill sets the Skins should be looking for.

They just flat out need more speed and athleticism on the D-line. They need pass rushers. They already have a bunch of run-stuffers.

Merling gives you the same skill set that Philip Daniels and Demetric Evans already possess. Merling would make the line younger, but not better. Same goes for Lawrence Jackson, who is solid but won't give you much explosion off the edge. Calais Campbell, despite the underwhelming showing at the Combine, probably has the most upside, but has the farthest to go to realize it.

At DT, there are several intriguing prospects projected in the 2nd round, but again, pass rushing is not their strength. Pat Sims, Red Bryant, Dre Moore -- all DTs with some upside, but raw and better run defenders than pass rushers. One guy I love is Notre Dame's Trevor Laws -- 112 tackles as a D-lineman -- are you kidding me? He's a quick, disruptive, natural 3-techique tackle with an unsurpassed work ethic and motor. But, again, only 3 of those 112 tackles were sacks. Does he have much upside in that department?

If I'm drafting specifically for the Redskins, I might be more tempted to wait a little later to get a prospect that has some upside in the pass rush department.

One tackle who might be a good find in the middle rounds is Arizona's Lionel Dotson. He's a little smaller (296lbs), and his slow 40 (5.38) will make his stock drop. But he's quick as a cat -- his split times in the 40 at 10 yards and 20 yards are faster than those of Top DT prospect Sedrick Ellis. Both at Arizona and in the East-West Shrine game, Dotson was quick to penetrate and actually show a closing burst, unlike many D-linemen who get penetration but never seem to actually tackle a running back or quarterback. I think this guy is a sleeper who actually fits the Redskins' needs.

At DE later in the draft, I'd look at a guy like UVa's Chris Ellis. He's raw and a little one-dimensional right now, but he can really rush the passer. He's got NFL skills. And I'm really intrigued by the Gardner-Webb kid, Brian Johnston. Small college, BIG time production and skills. After his workout and Hula Bowl performance, someone is going to draft him higher than his small college background suggests he should be. He's been compared to Aaron Kampman. He reminds me of the kind of small school prospects that Bobby Beathard used to draft -- higher than many of his colleagues would have. In 1983, Beathard drafted a DE from UNLV in the third round -- probably could have gotten him later, but Beathard loved him: Charles Mann, anyone?

If merling drops, I really think we should pick him up in the second. The reason why I like him more than Campbell or Jackson is because of his versatility. Look at how the Giants handled Justin Tuck. He was a DE on running downs, but on third down, they put him at DT. I think that could work with Merling. Start him or Platoon him with Daniels. Then on passing downs, move him inside and bring in Chris Wilson to apply pressure. It's a move that can help us in several categories

If merling drops, I really think we should pick him up in the second. The reason why I like him more than Campbell or Jackson is because of his versatility. Look at how the Giants handled Justin Tuck. He was a DE on running downs, but on third down, they put him at DT. I think that could work with Merling. Start him or Platoon him with Daniels. Then on passing downs, move him inside and bring in Chris Wilson to apply pressure. It's a move that can help us in several categories

Merling is no Jason Tuck. Tuck had a HUGE sophmore season with double digit sacks, but his production dropped off his junior year. He came out anyway and dropped to the 4th round.

If anyone compares to Tuck, it's probably Campbell because of similar sophmore and junior seasons.

At DT, there are several intriguing prospects projected in the 2nd round, but again, pass rushing is not their strength. Pat Sims, Red Bryant, Dre Moore -- all DTs with some upside, but raw and better run defenders than pass rushers. One guy I love is Notre Dame's Trevor Laws -- 112 tackles as a D-lineman -- are you kidding me? He's a quick, disruptive, natural 3-techique tackle with an unsurpassed work ethic and motor. But, again, only 3 of those 112 tackles were sacks. Does he have much upside in that department?

Dre Moore had 6 sacks last year. He was a very good pass rusher. Trevor Laws 112 tackles is extremely impressive but Moore has got to be a better 1 technique guy (plus he ran a 4.88 at the combine, so he's got speed for his size). If I had to choose one of these guys in the 2nd I'd go with Moore. We have enough run stopping DTs.

One tackle who might be a good find in the middle rounds is Arizona's Lionel Dotson. He's a little smaller (296lbs), and his slow 40 (5.38) will make his stock drop. But he's quick as a cat -- his split times in the 40 at 10 yards and 20 yards are faster than those of Top DT prospect Sedrick Ellis. Both at Arizona and in the East-West Shrine game, Dotson was quick to penetrate and actually show a closing burst, unlike many D-linemen who get penetration but never seem to actually tackle a running back or quarterback. I think this guy is a sleeper who actually fits the Redskins' needs.

I like this guy too. He was very productive at Arizona. However that slow 40 time and his lack of size raises some question marks.

Merling is no Jason Tuck. Tuck had a HUGE sophmore season with double digit sacks, but his production dropped off his junior year. He came out anyway and dropped to the 4th round.

If anyone compares to Tuck, it's probably Campbell because of similar sophmore and junior seasons.

And I guarantee a 290 pound man will be able to handle the inside on passing downs. I'm honestly very excited about us being able to get him, though I'd prefer not to get him with our first.

How about a reach for Dre Moore round 3 or 4? He's a local UMD prospect who has been blowing up offensive linemen at the senior bowl and his stock is rising. He has good size and is one of the faster DT's in the draft.

He won't last until our 3rd or 4th We either trade up in the 3rd to get him or we take him with our 2nd. He is one DT I'm really interested in and I'd rather have him than Lawrence Jackson.

Moore has good potential, but he's very raw, not too unlike Anthony Montgomery.

Moore did have 6 sacks, but they were more the result of him simply overpowering offensive guards in the ACC. He won't be able to get away with that in the NFL. He'll need to develop some technique and pass rushing moves. But he certainly has upside.

Moore has good potential, but he's very raw, not too unlike Anthony Montgomery.

Moore did have 6 sacks, but they were more the result of him simply overpowering offensive guards in the ACC. He won't be able to get away with that in the NFL. He'll need to develop some technique and pass rushing moves. But he certainly has upside.

I'd like to know who he overpowered for his 2 sacks against Virginia, cause if it is Brandon Albert then that is kinda impressive. He also got a sack against Boston College (a solid offensive line). But again, it isn't like his sacks came against Maryland, NC State, and Duke *cough*Kentwan Balmer*cough*.

I want someone who can be with us at Pro Day and have an immediate impact. By that I mean a Rookie who should atleast get some playing time and some action on the field.

If not, then there's no point really. We need someone who can fill in the WR hole quickly. We've waited too much.

With several of these previously high-rated DEs predicted to fall into the second round --we might want to explore how to upgrade our second round pick (50) into the upper second round. Initially I thought we trade down for more picks -- but if some really good quality D-linemen are available, we could get a great D-lineman and O-linemen with our first too picks.

To replace Daniels we are going to need a big, solid DE against the run as well as a pass-rush threat. Most teams normally would run off their right against our left side. So the lighter-weight pass-rushing DEs may not be what we need. Merling, Campbell, and Jackson tend to fit that role.

With several of these previously high-rated DEs predicted to fall into the second round --we might want to explore how to upgrade our second round pick (50) into the upper second round. Initially I thought we trade down for more picks -- but if some really good quality D-linemen are available, we could get a great D-lineman and O-linemen with our first too picks.

To replace Daniels we are going to need a big, solid DE against the run as well as a pass-rush threat. Most teams normally would run off their right against our left side. So the lighter-weight pass-rushing DEs may not be what we need. Merling, Campbell, and Jackson tend to fit that role.

I agree with the premise which is the 2nd tier D lineman are likely going in the top half of the 2nd round, not sure I agree with the conclusion that we trade up though unless we can do it cheap.

I'd be stunned if Merling and Campbell fall to the 2nd round, never mind the later half of it. Jackson might but am guessing someone snags him first.

I would be against drafting a guy in the first round who is already hurt, no matter how minor. If he didn't run and probably won't work out at a pro day then I can't see us drafting him.

-So you wouldn't have taken Adrian Peterson? Phillip Merling is going before the 21st in most draft boards and will remain that way even after his surgery. He most likely won't be there for us at the 21st pick and if he is we'd better snatch em up.

Good for us, considering a great deal of mocks now have us taking a WR in the 1st, we need to get a quality DE in the 2nd. But, I don't like our history of WR's in recent history. I would rather take a DE in the 1st. But, I do like Merling.

Everyone wants to get a great DE. However, I just don't think anyone will be worth it at #21 when we pick. I think Sweed will give us the best help at that point. If Merling is available in the second round, lets get him.

And I'm really intrigued by the Gardner-Webb kid, Brian Johnston. Small college, BIG time production and skills. After his workout and Hula Bowl performance, someone is going to draft him higher than his small college background suggests he should be. He's been compared to Aaron Kampman. He reminds me of the kind of small school prospects that Bobby Beathard used to draft -- higher than many of his colleagues would have. In 1983, Beathard drafted a DE from UNLV in the third round -- probably could have gotten him later, but Beathard loved him: Charles Mann, anyone?

I really am too. The kid put up ridiculous numbers when he worked out for scouts, etc (I don't think he got a combine invite).

Height: 6'-5"

Weight: 274lbs

40 yard: 4.66 (best of any lineman over 260lbs)

10 yard: 1.51 (same as Darren McFadden)

Vertical leap: 35" (best for any lineman his size)

20 yard shuttle: 4.18 (faster than any runningback at the combine)

And I don't think he is just a workout warrior. He had considerable production. True, he is from a small school but from what I've read he was double teamed on pretty much every single down this year and still managed to get 6 sacks, 24 stops for losses, and 22 QB pressures. He also apparently has an extremely high work ethic and nonstop motor. He is projected around the 5th but his stock is rising. The guy could possibly be a Jared Allen kind of steal since Allen wasn't picked until the 4th round since he went to a small school.

Everyone wants to get a great DE. However, I just don't think anyone will be worth it at #21 when we pick. I think Sweed will give us the best help at that point. If Merling is available in the second round, lets get him.

Sweed seems to be dropping to the 2nd round now in some mocks. Here's Kiper's take:

Frank (Pell Lake, WI): Mel, is Limas Sweed still available when the Titans pick at #24? If so, do you see him and Vince Young forming a good pair?

sn2.gifMel Kiper: I think Limas Sweed is probably more of a second round pick than a first round pick. He hasn't done much since Oct. 6. He struggled at the Senior Bowl practices. It makes sense for Tennessee because they need a WR and he played at Texas with Vince Young, but I don't think he's a first round pick.

Sweed seems to be dropping to the 2nd round now in some mocks. Here's Kiper's take:

Frank (Pell Lake, WI): Mel, is Limas Sweed still available when the Titans pick at #24? If so, do you see him and Vince Young forming a good pair?

sn2.gifMel Kiper: I think Limas Sweed is probably more of a second round pick than a first round pick. He hasn't done much since Oct. 6. He struggled at the Senior Bowl practices. It makes sense for Tennessee because they need a WR and he played at Texas with Vince Young, but I don't think he's a first round pick.

Some of what he is saying is a bit disingenuous. Yeah...he hasn't done much since Oct 6...because he had wrist surgery which is apparently completely healed. Yes he did struggle at the Senior Bowl practices...because his wrist was healed but he only had something like 40% range of motion back and a DB repeatedly bent his wrist back in 1 on 1 drills which, contrary to what some people say, didn't "re-injure it". It caused him pain but it basically just broke up scar tissue.

I don't know if he is saying he isn't a 1st round talent or if he sees him falling to the 2nd because of his injury. The latter I could understand, but not the former. If Sweed didn't have his wrist injury and had another productive year he most likely would have broken Roy Williams' TD record at UT. I remember checking out some very early mocks before he was injured and saw many that had him as a top 10 pick.

Gaines Adams: 6 sacks, 2 ff

Tye Hill: 3 picks, 3 pd, 50 tkls

Leroy Hill: 72 tkls, 7.5 sacks

-What all three of these players have in common is they are all first round picks from Clemson who in my opinion has a very solid program now. Please don't fire back with the lame excuse that Rod Gardner was from Clemson, because the team was completely different back then, Bowden has control now and the defensive talent they have been producing has carried over into the NFL quite successfully.

Gaines Adams: 6 sacks, 2 ff

Tye Hill: 3 picks, 3 pd, 50 tkls

Leroy Hill: 72 tkls, 7.5 sacks

-What all three of these players have in common is they are all first round picks from Clemson who in my opinion has a very solid program now. Please don't fire back with the lame excuse that Rod Gardner was from Clemson, because the team was completely different back then, Bowden has control now and the defensive talent they have been producing has carried over into the NFL quite successfully.

Gaines Adams also had 12.5 sacks his last year and 8.5 the year before. Merling had 7 his last year and 11.5 in his CAREER. He is not near the pass rusher that Gaines Adams is.

Archived