Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lions release DE Kalimba Edwards & RB Kevin Jones

DWinzit

Lions released Kevin Jones.

A stunner, but Jones has undergone surgery for a Lisfranc foot fracture and a torn ACL the last two offseasons. He's uncertain to be ready for the 2008 season and may not be "100%" until 2009. He will make an interesting pickup, but is looking at a backup role this year. It's possible the Lions will re-sign him at a reduced rate, but more likely Tatum Bell, Brian Calhoun, and a highly picked rookie to be named later will take over the Lions backfield.

Source: Profootballtalk.com

Lions released DE Kalimba Edwards.

The Lions gave Edwards a huge contract two seasons ago in hopes that he'd develop into something more than a situational pass rusher, but it never happened. He was scheduled to make $3.9 million this season.

Source: Detroit Free Press

Matt Millen sucks!!!

Like, I don't know any Lions fans and I don't much care for Detroit, but honestly Millen makes Casserly and early Cerrato seem like Ron Wolf or young Bobby Beathard.

It is absolutely horrific how badly his draft decisions have panned out. His picks are either no-talent bums or they are injury prone.

How on earth does he still collect a paycheck???

Matt Millen's first 5 drafts ('01-'05) with the Lions brought in 12 players in the 1st and 2nd rds. Only 4 (Jeff Backus, Dominic Raiola, Roy Williams, Shaun Cody) are still with the team.

Shaun Rogers - traded

Joey Harrington- cut

Kalimba Edwards - cut

Charles Rogers - cut

Boss Bailey - leaves via FA

Kevin Jones - cut

Teddy Lehman - leaves via FA

Mike Williams - cut

Not getting those top picks to work out really sets you back.

Kalimba Edwards - cut

Boss Bailey - left via FA

Charles Rogers - cut

Mike Williams - traded

Joey Harrington - cut

Kevin Jones - cut

.... and people moan about our draft record.

I'd rather trade for guys who will at least get your hopes up in FA than draft bust after bust.

And we might have add the only WR they drafted (pre-CJ) that panned out- Roy Williams.

]']I still remember the hype the Lions got from that draft. Its possible that by TC' date=' all of their first round draft picks between 2002 and 2005 might not be with the team (4 of the 5 picks being top 10).[/quote']

Kevin Jones was actually Tuna's first choice in the '04 draft to begin with-yeah, as high as he was on Julius, word was that he wanted to trade back INTO the 1st round(after coming out of it with Buffalo) to nab KJ.

With that being said-can't see him being any kind of minor upgrade wherever he goes.

Archived