Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: D.J. Hackett to visit Wednesday

smer

I actually think this could be one of those "under the radar" suprise signings as far as how much it would help the team...

I would imagine he would be our #3 WR at worse and possibly our #2 as El is better fitted for a slot guy?

This would also allow us to look for DL/OL/CB in the 1st 3 rounds as well...Which we need to do regardless...

I truly hope they like him and sign him to a reasonable contract...Plus,from what I hear...the Hawks don't like the idea of losing him either..

He offers size,youth and a good mixture to the WR core,plus we don't have to face him and see him him light us up the next time we face the Hawks in the playoffs!

I Agree but if he signs here it won't be for much:

"Also, receiver D.J. Hackett will visit Redskins Park on Thursday. A team source had said last week that the Redskins would prefer to draft a wideout rather than sign Hackett. But the Redskins’ offer to Hackett likely would not be for much more than the league minimum. Hackett has drawn little interest in free agency. The draft will be deep with receivers of similar ability".

It sounds like they could care less if he signs they will use the draft to find a WR, but which round?

"Also, receiver D.J. Hackett will visit Redskins Park on Thursday. A team source had said last week that the Redskins would prefer to draft a wideout rather than sign Hackett. But the Redskins’ offer to Hackett likely would not be for much more than the league minimum. Hackett has drawn little interest in free agency. The draft will be deep with receivers of similar ability".

It sounds like they could care less if he signs they will use the draft to find a WR, but which round?

This is either bad sources, or the team trying to lowball, or they're just not that impressed with Hackett. We'll see, but its nice to know that we're not playing a madden version of an offseason again.

the price he's demanding should have dropped drastically. On the other hand, it could easily be matched by Seattle if that's the case.....

I would NOT be thrilled with getting into any sort of bidding war with the Seahawks for Hackett.

i dont think seattle is in a position to bid for hackett. in 2006, they gave 39 mil and a first round pick to the pats for branch, and they gave home town guy burleson 49 mil along with giving engram a multi year deal.

thats why hackett is available.

Looks like we are getting some competition from the Bucs...

Tampa Tribune

Tampa Bay wants to add a playmaker to its roster and has a chance to find a diamond in the rough when Seattle free agent receiver D.J. Hackett visits tomorrow.

Hackett is visiting Washington today, but slated to fly into Tampa Bay and meet with the coaches and staff before flying out to Carolina on Friday. The Bucs recently signed WR Antonio Bryant, but Hackett, 26, could provided Tampa Bay with another potent receiver to compliment Joey Galloway.

On Redskins Radio Vinny made it sound like the signing was coming when he said we are going to meet tonight then he will get the physical tomorrow. Now PFT is reporting that he will also meet with the Bucs and Panthers. Maybe his agent is trying to drive the price up.

Sweed hasn't been healthy for a year.

Yes he had an injury that kept him out most of his senior year where, if he hadn't been injured and kept up his high level of play, he very likely would have surpassed Roy Williams' TD record at UT. And it is ONE injury. One. Not multiple injuries that have kept him out of games every year like one guy we're looking to sign. Before his wrist pain finally forced him to give in and cut his senior year short, he had something like 36 consecutive starts. Yeah, very injury prone. Before this past college season began most scouts were saying that if he had a good year he would probably be a top 10 pick.

I've read this entire thread, and the varied points of view are quite interesting. I do need to set the record straight on a couple of things. First of all, Seattle is most definitely interested in keeping Hackett. He has been very productive for us when he has been on the field. Of course, through 2005 he didn't get much game time because there was a logjam at the position, and he was #5 or #6 on the depth chart (Jerhome Urban was #6 or #5). The only reason he started getting playing time when he did was that Darryl Jackson and Bobby Engram both got injured. And you all know about game time missed due to injuries. That fact alone is responsible (thankfully, from our perspective) for keeping the market lukewarm about Hackett. The reason he hasn't signed with us is that he wanted to test the market before signing, and the Seahawks didn't want to be the ones to set the market by signing him earlier.

A few of you have already noted the interest by the Bucs and Panthers, so you know now that the market for him isn't as dry as you previously thought.

Last year, Hackett was a RFA, and the Seahawks tendered him at the 2nd-round-draft-pick level. A bunch of us thought he was going to get snapped up, but nobody ever called. So in that instance, our FO had a better idea of what the market was for Hackett than we did. This year, they've told Hackett that they're willing to try to match any offer, if it's within their ability to do so, and he has said that he will give them a chance. Assuming nobody offers him a deal he can't refuse, he'll be checking back in with the Seahawks later.

So there's no way anyone is going to sign him for league minimum. Either some team is going to have to get over their fear of Hackett's injuries and extend him a respectable offer, or he's not going anywhere.

For the record, we want him to remain a Seahawk. Those of you who say he hasn't done much to prove himself simply haven't been paying attention. He has very good hands -- I have seen him snag some balls I would have guessed were impossible to catch. And he does a good job of fighting for the ball. Decent speed, decent routes. No, he's not 85 or TO or Moss, but almost nobody is -- those of you who were saying a player can't be a #1 receiver if they're not TO or 85 either live in a world of no #1 receivers, or you're just nuts.

A This year, they've told Hackett that they're willing to try to match any offer, if it's within their ability to do so, and he has said that he will give them a chance. Assuming nobody offers him a deal he can't refuse, he'll be checking back in with the Seahawks later.

considering the 50 mil burleson is occupying and the 40 mil (plus a first rounder) branch is taking up, you all must have money to burn out there for WR's.

at least that makes me feel better about the big $ the skins spent on randle el and lloyd.....

For the record, we want him to remain a Seahawk. Those of you who say he hasn't done much to prove himself simply haven't been paying attention. He has very good hands -- I have seen him snag some balls I would have guessed were impossible to catch. And he does a good job of fighting for the ball.

you'll have to forgive us east coasters. we dont get to see much of your team (outside of our last 2 playoff losses :mad: ), but some of us actually do recognize the mans talent. i pray we sign him- he can play.

Decent speed, decent routes. No, he's not 85 or TO or Moss, but almost nobody is -- those of you who were saying a player can't be a #1 receiver if they're not TO or 85 either live in a world of no #1 receivers, or you're just nuts.

yep. again, considering our WR's, who the hell are we to say hackett isnt good enough.

i mean, come on. i love moss and el, but..... :(

considering the 50 mil burleson is occupying and the 40 mil (plus a first rounder) branch is taking up, you all must have money to burn out there for WR's.

at least that makes me feel better about the big $ the skins spent on randle el and lloyd.....

That $49M contract Burleson signed was never a $49M contract, it merely looked like one while we were signing him away from the Vikings. It has since been restructured to something like $15M over 4 years. The money being paid to Branch, as well as the 1st round pick we gave up to get him, are sources of constant debate on the Seahawk boards.

At any rate, we are in a position to be able to match any reasonable offer to Hackett.

you'll have to forgive us east coasters. we dont get to see much of your team (outside of our last 2 playoff losses :mad: ), but some of us actually do recognize the mans talent. i pray we sign him- he can play.

again, considering our WR's, who the hell are we to say hackett isnt good enough.

i mean, come on. i love moss and el, but..... :(

My previous comment was directed only at the few people who said earlier in this thread that Hackett hadn't done anything yet on the field to prove himself. That group apparently doesn't include you.

That $49M contract Burleson signed was never a $49M contract, it merely looked like one while we were signing him away from the Vikings. It has since been restructured to something like $15M over 4 years. The money being paid to Branch, as well as the 1st round pick we gave up to get him, are sources of constant debate on the Seahawk boards.

At any rate, we are in a position to be able to match any reasonable offer to Hackett.

man, thats still a decent amount of bread to be spending on one group- of course, thats depending on what you all are willing to spend on hackett. is seattle 'washington west'???

seattle. washington. thats a good one...

My previous comment was directed only at the few people who said earlier in this thread that Hackett hadn't done anything yet on the field to prove himself. That group apparently doesn't include you.

every fanbase has its segment that fancies themselves the best armchair GM in football- if only the phone would ring and dan snyder himself would call and beg for our super human advice!

no, hackett can play. humans possessing functional eyes can see that. why the doubt? its seattle. most of us fans dwell in our own division and little else, to our own detriment. the fact that i have yet to find a seahawk fan say hackett isnt any good -(quite the contrary- many say he's your best WR when healthy)- says alot. or so you would think.

I really don't think he's put up good numbers. Maybe if he could stay healthy. I think he's average at best. Coaches will probably sign him, he'll come here and play about 6 games and be hurt just like every other season. And half of the Redskins team, or so it seems.

I don't expect great things from him. I think his current stats something like 105 recs. for 1300-1400 yds is good-but for 1 season not 4.

i am excited i think think this move has a great amount of upside. the kid is 26 years old with a lot of career left ahead of him.

he torched us in the playoffs with 6 catches and a TD. some of you are skeptical but hey, didnt we have a highly ranked defense last season? and this guy steps on the field and manages 6 cathes and a touchdown against a defense that was ranked #3 most of last year? sounds pretty good to me.

at 26 he is at the age he should be comming into his own and either becomming someone or dissapearing into mediocrity. hopefully with moss and el he will learn from them and become something special.

i would rather him play here than have to face him. zman seems to be excited about his visit, so maybe we should be too.

"similar ability" = draft doesn't have top talent receivers

I really don't think he's put up good numbers. Maybe if he could stay healthy. I think he's average at best. Coaches will probably sign him, he'll come here and play about 6 games and be hurt just like every other season. And half of the Redskins team, or so it seems.

I don't expect great things from him. I think his current stats something like 105 recs. for 1300-1400 yds is good-but for 1 season not 4.

A 105-catch, 1300/1400 yard season is good?!? Damn, your bar is set high. Those stats would make for two good seasons on a team where the ball is spread around, and one damn outstanding season for anyone, including the players touted here as exclusive #1s in this league (TO, 85, the other Moss).

Guess what? Hackett has played in a system where the ball is spread around. And in his four years in the NFL, he has about two years worth of on-the-field game time.

If you want to be wary of him because of his injury history, fine. But if you're going to make judgments about him based on his stats, at least do it in context.

And if you think he's "average at best", you need to re-watch your most recent playoff game. Either he's at least a slight bit better than average, or average-at-best receivers put up 100 yard games against your defense.

If you want to be wary of him because of his injury history, fine. But if you're going to make judgments about him based on his stats, at least do it in context.

i've been saying this- you have to look at what he did when he played, not just glance at his overall numbers. he was a 5th rounder, hurt his first year, was behind d jackson, then jurevicious, then burlesons and branch (who had both just gotten big deals). that is to say that he hasnt had much opportunity, in part due to health, but in part due to the WR situation.

And if you think he's "average at best", you need to re-watch your most recent playoff game. Either he's at least a slight bit better than average, or average-at-best receivers put up 100 yard games against your defense.

the armchair GM strikes again. 'if i havent seen him play, or if his name isnt TO or randy moss, he isnt any good'.

yeah. hackett is average. :(

I hear he wants to ply for the panthers pretty bad, plus they just lost a receiver and have a bigger pay-day to offer. Look for hackett to sign with seattle or carolina.

was that info from that other thread about the panthers being interested? wasnt that his agent saying that? and isnt that what agents are supposed to do when their client is visiting another team- esp washington, who is known for overpaying?

Archived