Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: D.J. Hackett to visit Wednesday

smer

Finally a visitor

An NFL source just told me that Seattle receiver D.J. Hackett will become the first free agent to visit Redskin Park when he comes on Wednesday night, nearly two weeks after the signing period started.

Hackett, 26, caught just 32 passes for 384 yards and three touchdowns last year, but he knows new coach Jim Zorn well from their four years together with the Seahawks. The 6-foot-2, 208-pound Colorado product has the size the Redskins have been seeking to complement undersized holdovers Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El.

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/redskins/

At this point, it's worth a look. Later this week, almost two weeks since free agency started, the price he's demanding should have dropped drastically. On the other hand, it could easily be matched by Seattle if that's the case.

I'm all for cheap help @ WR, especially with a guy who knows Zorn and the system he'll be implementing. However, I would NOT be thrilled with getting into any sort of bidding war with the Seahawks for Hackett.

Let's play guess that contract!

I'm gonna say 4 years, $15M with a $5M signing bonus. That puts the first year cap hit at about $1.2M leaving plenty of space should the Skins want to pursue other options in FA.

:thumbsup:

I'm fine with this... I think this guy is a huge gamble, and it's clear that other teams feel that way. We can't feel the pressure to make this move... At this point in his "career", finding guys like this isn't all that difficult.

The fact teams haven't been showing a lot interest in him, coupled with the fact he will/could have a large role here and has worked with Zorn before, should lower his asking price.

For the right price, why not? We could hold off on drafting a WR until the 2nd or 3rd round, and acquire help elsewhere, like D-line and CB. The more holes we address now, the more likely we will use a draft pick on the lines.

I'm fine with this... I think this guy is a huge gamble, and it's clear that other teams feel that way. We can't feel the pressure to make this move... At this point in his "career", finding guys like this isn't all that difficult.

Exactly. I feel the same way about him. I actually hope the Skins still look at a WR in this years draft even if they sign this guy.

Nothing wrong with some competition in camp;).

I think he would be a fool not to seriously consider what this team offers him, in terms of dollars AND playing time. It would be a good fit for us and for him.

I think that the lines are in more need of some draft-loving than the WR corps tbh and I think that this is the sentiment around the forum here too. I hope we do take Hackett, even if its just for a year or two to see how he pans out. The lines are much older and we need to have some new bodies there now so that they can learn and gel together before the current crop of talent gets far too old.

Archived