Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Weak draft overall

flock53

IMO this is a weak draft, there is only a few at the top and then falls off drastically. Alot of people here want a DE and I agree we need another, but after Long and maybe Campbell there are more undersized types after that, granted after a couple years of weight training, they'll be big enough. We dont need another undersized DE, I'm OK w/ Carter but he's slightly above average v/s the run. A #21 pick has a real hit or miss feel and I guess you can say that about ANYONE. Here's my outtake on this year. Next best option in ( ) and of course these would drop to my next pick in following round granted they are there.

1- DE Calais Campbell (OG Brandon Albert)

2- CB Charles Godfrey (S Josh Barrett)

3- WR Andre Caldwell (WR William Franklin)

4- NONE

5- RB Jacob Hester (RB Jehuu Caulcrick)

6- WR Marcus Monk (TE Brad Cottam)

7-LB Wesley Woodyard (P Tim Reyer)

Undrafted FRAs: QB Tyler Donovan OG Adam Kraus S Jamar Adams C Adam Spieker LB Nick Watkins.

If both those two aren't there in round 1, I feel that we need to trade the pick, either down and get more picks OR try to get Peppers, even if we give up next years #1 as long as we get a pick back either this year or a higher one next year. Or, now I hear on NFL network that Parcells will entertain trading Jason Taylor, even though hes up there in years I take him. NFL Network guys said something like a 2nd and 4th. We dont have a 4th so maybe a 2nd by itself might be enough, IF NOT then dont OVERPAY but he still is a force and probably has a couple yrs left in the tank, especially if hes not part of a total rebuild.

Its a great Draft for O-linemen, and i hope they spend a few picks on some big boi's.
Ive read some publications and after an A grade for T's the G's and C's get D grades. Not saying those people are know alls but......

Ive read some publications and after an A grade for T's the G's and C's get D grades. Not saying those people are know alls but......

Stephon Heyer didnt even get drafted, and the kid has loads of potential and some starting experience. Im not saying dont believe the draft guru's, but diamonds in the rough are found all over the place, and all the Guards and Centers that are getting these low grades, let them slip to the second day where we have tons of picks. Then we can snatch them, and let Buges coach them up. I guess i think taking an O-lineman in the draft is one of the safest positions to draft b/c A. they come cheaper then most other positions, and B. its easier to coach technique like leverage and footwork, and put on weight (size is a prerequisite at that position) then it is to teach Route running, precision passing, down field vision, ect. I hope we spend our draft picking up D- and O-linemen.

Calais Campbell is not a 1st round talent and we have greater needs than drafting a OG that won't start for several years.

He's versatile and maybe makes Thomas or Jansen tradeable/expendable. As for Campell, he may be the best left at that pick. What are YOUR greater needs???

He's versatile and maybe makes Thomas or Jansen tradeable/expendable. As for Campell, he may be the best left at that pick. What are YOUR greater needs???
Campbell is a 3-4 DE and would be a terrible fit here. Jansen and Thomas aren't tradeable because of their recent restructurings.

Edit: Right now my first three rounds would look like:

1st OLB Quentin Groves(Auburn)

2nd CB Tracy Porter(Indiana)

3rd S Tyrell Johnson (Arkansas St.)

*3rd DE Jason Jones(Michigan St)

IMO this is a weak draft, there is only a few at the top and then falls off drastically. Alot of people here want a DE and I agree we need another, but after Long and maybe Campbell there are more undersized types after that, granted after a couple years of weight training, they'll be big enough. We dont need another undersized DE, I'm OK w/ Carter but he's slightly above average v/s the run. A #21 pick has a real hit or miss feel and I guess you can say that about ANYONE. Here's my outtake on this year. Next best option in ( ) and of course these would drop to my next pick in following round granted they are there.

1- DE Calais Campbell (OG Brandon Albert)

2- CB Charles Godfrey (S Josh Barrett)

3- WR Andre Caldwell (WR William Franklin)

4- NONE

5- RB Jacob Hester (RB Jehuu Caulcrick)

6- WR Marcus Monk (TE Brad Cottam)

7-LB Wesley Woodyard (P Tim Reyer)

Undrafted FRAs: QB Tyler Donovan OG Adam Kraus S Jamar Adams C Adam Spieker LB Nick Watkins.

If both those two aren't there in round 1, I feel that we need to trade the pick, either down and get more picks OR try to get Peppers, even if we give up next years #1 as long as we get a pick back either this year or a higher one next year. Or, now I hear on NFL network that Parcells will entertain trading Jason Taylor, even though hes up there in years I take him. NFL Network guys said something like a 2nd and 4th. We dont have a 4th so maybe a 2nd by itself might be enough, IF NOT then dont OVERPAY but he still is a force and probably has a couple yrs left in the tank, especially if hes not part of a total rebuild.

Campbell isn't even a lock to go first round. Combine looked horrible, ran slow, at his pro day in miami the scouts said the same thing again he didn't improve from the combine workout, sluggish and stiff is what they called. Granted he has the measureables are good but some are saying he reminds them of Peppers!

I disagree the Draft is deep at DL/OL/RB and CB you can fill a need on your team with quality guys who can contribute right away!

This draft is deep at WR, OL, CB and RB. I would like to see us get a top DE, but it doesn't seem like there is a lot out there once our pick comes up. I'm sure some lesser known ones will pan out, but by our pick, I don't think that there will be DE worthy of the 21st pick in the draft. I am not as big of a Campbell fan as some.

Calais Campbell is not a 1st round talent and we have greater needs than drafting a OG that won't start for several years.

Agreed. This guy is all potential no performance. He is a career underachiever on the field and his combine and pro day performances weren't good at all. Lifting 225 only 16x is terrible for a DL. I would be surprised if he is selected in the 1st round. Besides a freak like frame, he doesn't have much else going for him at the moment.

I still believe we will make a move for CJ in the next week or so. If we do get CJ and fill our WR needs, then like you, I hope they use most of our draft picks on the O & D lines. I think Springs may have to move to Texas and be with his dad. If so, we may also have to shop for a CB in the draft. The money we will have to pay for Chad should limit our Free Agent picks this season to one very good player.

CB 1st

DE 2nd or G/T

WR 3rd

5th G/T or DE

6th QB

7th T , ILB or S

I think we need OL for depth and mostly to develop them and inject some youth. Guard is the position that we need the most. if Randy Thomas goes down again , we re in trouble.

DE we have Daniels, Carter and Wilson so mostly Depth is needed to develop a good DE for the future.

CB we need a good starter right away because springs is too old and Rogers might no be ready in Sept.

WR we have 3 good receivers. moss, randall el , cadwell if we keep him. so

We need to pick a guy that we can mold into a good receiver. keep in mind we have other receiver in our roster that the redskins have not given them a chance due to injury and other issues.

We need a QB just in case Campbell doesnt work out.

We need to pick tackles, IlB or S in the later rounds just to have good backups.

What are you talking about? This draft is a full of talent. Yes there is no Wow player but this draft contains many solid athletes.

This is definitely a draft that you fill holes with solid players. There is a lot of talent this year. It wouldn't shock me if more players drafted after the 3rd round this year become solid pros compared to other years.

I completely disagree, if Calais Campbell had 10+ sacks this year I think he would have been a top 10 pick. Well, he didnt... he had I think 6 and had a very poor combine workout. But that does not take away the fact he's supremely athletic for a guy 6-7 282 lbs. That he's coming out as a Junior, he had nearly 20 sacks in two years of starting. He was double teamed constantly on a mediocre defense. He's stellar against the run, one of the most active DE's in tackles/making plays. That he can move inside to DT on passing downs ala Tuck.

He's got a ton of upside and would be pretty surprised if he doesn't get picked in the 1st round. Everyone's an expert. lol;)

Again, since its not an exact science, its so hard to predict, look at Tom Brady, passed over again and again by every team. We may get somebody that everybody say's "what the hell was the Redskins thinking" and than the guy does well for us.

I completely disagree, if Calais Campbell had 10+ sacks this year I think he would have been a top 10 pick. Well, he didnt... he had I think 6 and had a very poor combine workout. But that does not take away the fact he's supremely athletic for a guy 6-7 282 lbs. That he's coming out as a Junior, he had nearly 20 sacks in two years of starting. He was double teamed constantly on a mediocre defense. He's stellar against the run, one of the most active DE's in tackles/making plays. That he can move inside to DT on passing downs ala Tuck.

He's got a ton of upside and would be pretty surprised if he doesn't get picked in the 1st round. Everyone's an expert. lol;)

I'm sorry but you obviously didn't actually watch the combine. He is not anything near to supremely athletic and was, in fact, suprisingly clumsy. He is a mediocre 3-4 DE in the NFL at best. People were excited about his size, but he does not deliver. Supremely athletic? Is there combine footage on the interwebs? If so you should look at the video. It will change your opinion.

Again, since its not an exact science, its so hard to predict, look at Tom Brady, passed over again and again by every team. We may get somebody that everybody say's "what the hell was the Redskins thinking" and than the guy does well for us.

It's not an exact science. IMO it appears to be a weak draft just because it's not top heavy with guys like Calvin Johnson, JaMarcus Russell, and Adrian Peterson. You can always find quality players if you select the BPA. In fact, I see some of the better players being drafted within rounds 3 through 5.

I'm sorry but you obviously didn't actually watch the combine. He is not anything near to supremely athletic and was' date=' in fact, suprisingly clumsy. He is a mediocre 3-4 DE in the NFL at best. People were excited about his size, but he does not deliver. Supremely athletic? Is there combine footage on the interwebs? If so you should look at the video. It will change your opinion.[/quote']

I saw the combine, he looked bad, but I live in Miami and watched him play for 3years at every home game and on Tv for Every Road game did you?

The guys made plays, he's a football player not a workout warrior.

Dont get me wrong I not saying the guy is the next coming of reggie white but he has Way more talent than you are giving him credit for cause he had an ugly combine.

Campbell isn't even a lock to go first round. Combine looked horrible, ran slow, at his pro day in miami the scouts said the same thing again he didn't improve from the combine workout, sluggish and stiff is what they called. Granted he has the measureables are good but some are saying he reminds them of Peppers!

I disagree the Draft is deep at DL/OL/RB and CB you can fill a need on your team with quality guys who can contribute right away!

If he reminds them of Peppers, AHHH thats a good thing. Im not saying Im inlove w/ him or his selection at that pick. I would rather have Albert, but I put NEED first.

I'm sorry but you obviously didn't actually watch the combine. He is not anything near to supremely athletic and was' date=' in fact, suprisingly clumsy. He is a mediocre 3-4 DE in the NFL at best. People were excited about his size, but he does not deliver. Supremely athletic? Is there combine footage on the interwebs? If so you should look at the video. It will change your opinion.[/quote']

I haven't followed Campbell but what I read reminds me of Alan Branch at DT during the last draft. There was some question about his combine performance and overall college production -- but he did look the part of a beast and played the part at times in college.

He moved from a potential top 10 pick, all the way down to a projected late first rounder before the draft, he ultimately was drafted in the 2nd by the Cardnals and from what I recall struggled his rookie season.

Archived