Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What if a draft was invoked????????

BG

Not a debate on the issue of a draft or the possibility of the draft. Purely a rhetorical question. If a draft were invoked due to the events that have unfolded in the last few years, would you serve?

What Kilmer said. Too old, out of shape and blind.

However, I'll answer the question "would you have served if drafted?"

I was 20 when the Gulf War broke out and they were talking about a possible draft in which 20 year olds would be the first to go, so this question was very real to me at one time.

I had decided that if called up I would go and do what I had to do. After reaping the benefits of our society I was willing to serve it if asked.

Originally posted by IAMBG

Would some of you oldies have said the same thing under these circumstances if you were younger??????

I was a crew chief in the USAF from 78-82 (age 18-21) and when the Iran Hostage situation happened, a lot of us were upset that Carter didn't take some tactical military action. We even had posters hanging in the dorms and shops of Mickey Mouse flipping off the Iranians with a mushroom cloud in the back with the caption "F!@# Y!@ Iran..Nuke'm till they glow". A little much looking back but the overall overall consensus was that Iran was our enemy and we needed to do more then what was being done. We were happy to see Ronald Wilson Reagan become the president after the failure with Iran. A lot of us were of the opinion that some in the Arab world could become a bigger threat then the Soviet Union and indeed that has happened.

Originally posted by Henry

What Kilmer said. Too old, out of shape and blind.

However, I'll answer the question "would you have served if drafted?"

I was 20 when the Gulf War broke out and they were talking about a possible draft in which 20 year olds would be the first to go, so this question was very real to me at one time.

I had decided that if called up I would go and do what I had to do. After reaping the benefits of our society I was willing to serve it if asked.

Well, 27 now...I might be to old and my track record might bog me down. I'

I'd go in a heart beat if drafted. Like you said, I've lived realitvely comfortable for a while and was about 16 when the Gulf War started. I wasn't as adamant about military force then, but didn't really care back then.

I did try to join the Air Force two years ago in an attempt to ride my buddy's coattails, but got snibbed for a harmless incident with a harmless substance.

So this time around, if there were a draft, I doubt there would be much scrutiny about my past. I would join the Marines preferably.

After hearing many peoples ideas for me back when I was undecided about going to school or doing something else with my life, I wish I had joined the service. I really think I would have benefitted and that all young people--Male & Female can benefit from some sort of mandatory yearlong service.

well, I was thinking about this the other day,

IF they drafted me and wanted to put me into infantry or armor, I'd have to think twice about our military.

Does anyone know what happens when they draft math majors? I'd be much more use to the country working for NSA or CIA than the ARMY, so I'd have to imagine they'd keep me out of any imminent danger. So, I'd really have nothing to lose. Unless they don't think about such things and just hand out guns. If that's the case, I'd probably sign up for work in NSA or CIA before they drafted me. I wonder what they would do with me....

So I'd be happy to help, but If communism taught us anything it's that they should keep me where I can do the most good, not where it is most fair to be.

-DB

good point DB.

i went to med school for a year, so maybe they'd put me in a medical unit of some sorts. then again, the last place i want to be running around without a gun is a battle field.

IF they'd want me, i'd serve where ever they put me. hopefully manning a base in hawaii :D .

I believe in mandatory national service. I think a good model is Sweden, where you can either serve a year in the military or 2(3?) in civilian service.

Would I serve in the military if drafted? Possibly, but I would have to believe the war was just from a personal moral standpoint.

Would I serve if drafted for this war? Nope.

Well, I am 32 so I don't know if I qualify, but yes - if it were the case I would answer my call. I served in the Navy already and am a veteran of the preevious Gulf War although I did not serve over there at the time. I was at DLI at the time. Anyways - yes, anyone out there who qualifies ought to support it if they want to live in this country.

It's easy to say yes now, when we are beyond the age that would be drafted if a draft were to come up...

But I'll answer based on past wars since so far there isn't one now...

Revolution... Of course...

Civil War... Stars and Bars all the way

WWI... Not sure

WWII... I would lead the charge on the front lines

Vietnam... No

Honestly.. a more fair question is... Would we want our sons to serve?

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

well, I was thinking about this the other day,

IF they drafted me and wanted to put me into infantry or armor, I'd have to think twice about our military.

Does anyone know what happens when they draft math majors? I'd be much more use to the country working for NSA or CIA than the ARMY, so I'd have to imagine they'd keep me out of any imminent danger. So, I'd really have nothing to lose. Unless they don't think about such things and just hand out guns. If that's the case, I'd probably sign up for work in NSA or CIA before they drafted me. I wonder what they would do with me....

So I'd be happy to help, but If communism taught us anything it's that they should keep me where I can do the most good, not where it is most fair to be.

-DB

Hey DB...the military screens recruits for aptitude, intelligence, etc...but they don't fill the infantry/ground MOS's with idiots. I had a higher GT (essentially IQ score) as an enlisted man than my Company Commander. Its the Infantry and ground combat forces that win/lose wars (apologies Air Sarge). Yes you might end up in a technical field, but not necessarily. If you joined the Marine Corps, one of the things I loved about them is that their primary philosophy is 'every Marine is a rifleman', regardless of what obscure technical field you might ultimately end up in, you had better be a stud physically, and be ready and prepared to drop your calculator or laptop and participate in death and destruction if necessary. They also are one of the most enlightened organizations in the world when it comes to race relations (not that there aren't problems and barriers). In the Marine Corps they say there is no white/black/hispanic Marines. You're all green....some are light green, some dark green, but you're green. Know this is off-topic, but I tire of the portrayal of the ground-pounders as cannon-fodder and as 'too dumb' to do anything else. There's nothing easy or intellectually lightweight about fighting on the ground in the 21st century. And on a final note, I wouldn't want a draftee next to me in the service. I want to KNOW that every single soul in my unit is there because they believe its right and because they want to be, not because they were compelled to be.

Archived