Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Lost Moss at the Wire?

Eagles_Legendz

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

EAGLES LOST MOSS "AT THE WIRE"

We've heard from several readers today about reports in Philly from Gcobb.com and the radio host at WIP who hates us that the Eagles made a run at signing receiver Randy Moss.

We've looked into it, and it is 100 percent true.

The following explanation is based on our discussions with multiple league sources.

The Eagles, as reported elsewhere, offered a higher annual average than the Patriots. The Eagles also offered more guaranteed money than did the Pats.

But it was a day of high drama. The process went back and forth between the Eagles and the Patriots. At one point, the Eagles thought they had him. Then, it looked like the Pats had him. Then the Eagles. Then the Patriots.

One source said that the Pats won Moss "at the wire."

Moss, as we're told, was afraid to leave a place where he's happy after being unhappy for so many years before that.

The Eagles, as we understand it, knew that Moss was inclined to return to New England but decided to be aggressive.

And we greatly admire the Eagles for trying. Our good friends in Philly would have been elated with such a move -- and they should be happy that their team tried so hard to get a guy who could have had as big of an impact as Terrell Owens did in 2004, if not bigger.

The next question becomes whether this prompts the Eagles to re-double their efforts to pry receiver Larry Fitzgerald away from the Cardinals. There has been plenty of chatter about the Eagles trying to pull off a trade, and after getting so close to securing Moss there likely could be an increase groundswell of support for the franchise to do whatever is necessary to land a guy who in time could be every bit as good as Moss.

------------------------------------------------------------

*sigh*

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

EAGLES LOST MOSS "AT THE WIRE"

We've heard from several readers today about reports in Philly from Gcobb.com and the radio host at WIP who hates us that the Eagles made a run at signing receiver Randy Moss.

We've looked into it, and it is 100 percent true.

The following explanation is based on our discussions with multiple league sources.

The Eagles, as reported elsewhere, offered a higher annual average than the Patriots. The Eagles also offered more guaranteed money than did the Pats.

But it was a day of high drama. The process went back and forth between the Eagles and the Patriots. At one point, the Eagles thought they had him. Then, it looked like the Pats had him. Then the Eagles. Then the Patriots.

One source said that the Pats won Moss "at the wire."

Moss, as we're told, was afraid to leave a place where he's happy after being unhappy for so many years before that.

The Eagles, as we understand it, knew that Moss was inclined to return to New England but decided to be aggressive.

And we greatly admire the Eagles for trying. Our good friends in Philly would have been elated with such a move -- and they should be happy that their team tried so hard to get a guy who could have had as big of an impact as Terrell Owens did in 2004, if not bigger.

The next question becomes whether this prompts the Eagles to re-double their efforts to pry receiver Larry Fitzgerald away from the Cardinals. There has been plenty of chatter about the Eagles trying to pull off a trade, and after getting so close to securing Moss there likely could be an increase groundswell of support for the franchise to do whatever is necessary to land a guy who in time could be every bit as good as Moss.

------------------------------------------------------------

*sigh*

I predict Fitzgerald will be an Eagles at some point this offseason. The Eagles look to b enot screwing around.

True, but they are quoting pretty much the same story that the Boston Globe is running.

Sounds like PFT simply cut and pasted the story like they have basically been doing lately.

Also, Moss would have gone where the money was. Meaning, the Bird offer probably wasn't that much better and not enough to pry Moss from a place he knows he can excel in and have some fun.

To get Fitz the Birds would actually have to give up some valuable draft choices. Let's see if they actually can pull it off or they will just blow smoke as usual. Fitz has already come out and stated he wants to come to Philly so they have a willing participant.

Grabbing Samuel was a little uncharacteristic, but shopping their broken corner to pick up possible value draft choices is classic Philly FO. Luckily, teams have learned.

Sounds like PFT simply cut and pasted the story like they have basically been doing lately.

Also, Moss would have gone where the money was. Meaning, the Bird offer probably wasn't that much better and not enough to pry Moss from a place he knows he can excel in and have some fun.

To get Fitz the Birds would actually have to give up some valuable draft choices. Let's see if they actually can pull it off or they will just blow smoke as usual. Fitz has already come out and stated he wants to come to Philly so they have a willing participant.

Grabbing Samuel was a little uncharacteristic, but shopping their broken corner to pick up possible value draft choices is classic Philly FO. Luckily, teams have learned.

The problem is getting Arizona to want to deal Fitz, which seems unlikely.

Next, people on here are WAY undervaluing Lito. He was an all-pro cornerback ONE season ago, and he's 26. He's played 82% of the games the last 5 seasons and has had no major injuries. It's not like he's a broken, older CB on his last wheels. He wants more $ than the Eagles are paying him now, so the Eagles are seeing what they could get for him via trade. I don't think they would have any problem keeping Lito, but he should be able to net at least a decent amount in a deal (hopefully for someone like Roy Williams etc).

The problem is getting Arizona to want to deal Fitz, which seems unlikely.

Next, people on here are WAY undervaluing Lito. He was an all-pro cornerback ONE season ago, and he's 26. He's played 82% of the games the last 5 seasons and has had no major injuries. It's not like he's a broken, older CB on his last wheels. He wants more $ than the Eagles are paying him now, so the Eagles are seeing what they could get for him via trade. I don't think they would have any problem keeping Lito, but he should be able to net at least a decent amount in a deal (hopefully for someone like Roy Williams etc).

Its pretty obvious AR is not settling for the lower tier WR's this offseason. With the coin you guys are throwing around you could pretty much have anyone. If AR didn't think he could get one of the big name WRs I think he would have simply signed a Donte Stallworth or someone like that. The money is obviously there.

Its pretty obvious AR is not settling for the lower tier WR's this offseason. With the coin you guys are throwing around you could pretty much have anyone. If AR didn't think he could get one of the big name WRs I think he would have simply signed a Donte Stallworth or someone like that. The money is obviously there.

I think you're right on that point. Everyone was holding their breath before the Samuel signing, waiting for AR to sign some middle-of-the pack WR who would basically not be a significant difference maker. Then came the Samuel trade and everyone in Philly's eyes got big because it was such an out of charachter move by our FO. Now, they are clearly in real dealings with AZ and no one knows for sure what's going on.

My gut tells me that they have absolutely no problem giving up Lito and a first for this guy. Why? Because they would've done the same for Javon Walker a year and change ago. The thing is our FO is crafty and love their picks more than their own mothers: they will put the Cardinals' feet to the fire because they know they're screwed with Fitz's contract. They will stand pat with whatever is on the table and see if the Cards fold on any extra conditions. If it looks like they won't and it comes down to the wire, they will part with a 1st rounder and take a deal that no one would complain about anyway.

FWIW-I never thought Moss was this cancerous figure. Yeah-he's a nut and has alot of off-the-field problems(and even takes a few plays off here and there), but overall, he's been a decent teammate. Personally-him being an Eagle wouldn't have bothered me b/c having to see his highlights to death every week being in our division et al would still have been a pleasure to watch.

Anyhow-Reid's evaluation of the WR position has been just as bad as Parcells' evaluation of OLs here in Dallas. Throughout his tenure here, he misfired in the draft every year to the point where we had no choice but to break the bank on Leonard Davis last year. Don't get me wrong-Davis has been a HUGE upgrade to our OL, but we could have saved a heck of alot of money in salary cap space if he had guessed much more correctly. Same with Reid-yeah, they'll likely get Fitz or whoever, but they're going to have to sell the farm to do so(i.e. Lito, 1st day draft picks, and possibly a Herremans) thanks to bad draft choices in years past.

Difference between Moss and Samuel is that when Moss says he wants the best chance to win, he means it, and his actions speak for it.

When Samuel says he wants the best chance to win, he means, the team that pays him the most.

Kudos to Moss for taking less money to play where he knows he has the best shot at winning a ring. Very rare nowadays.

FWIW-I never thought Moss was this cancerous figure. Yeah-he's a nut and has alot of off-the-field problems(and even takes a few plays off here and there), but overall, he's been a decent teammate. Personally-him being an Eagle wouldn't have bothered me b/c having to see his highlights to death every week being in our division et al would still have been a pleasure to watch.

Anyhow-Reid's evaluation of the WR position has been just as bad as Parcells' evaluation of OLs here in Dallas. Throughout his tenure here, he misfired in the draft every year to the point where we had no choice but to break the bank on Leonard Davis last year. Don't get me wrong-Davis has been a HUGE upgrade to our OL, but we could have saved a heck of alot of money in salary cap space if he had guessed much more correctly. Same with Reid-yeah, they'll likely get Fitz or whoever, but they're going to have to sell the farm to do so(i.e. Lito, 1st day draft picks, and possibly a Herremans) thanks to bad draft choices in years past.

I agree with much of what you just said. Randy moss - I never saw him as a cancer. If there's a knock on him that's legit, it's the fact that he only puts out effort for teams that have a shot. When he played with Culpepper and they still looked like a contender, he looked great. When things went downhill, so did his play. With the Raiders? He disappeared all together because they never had a shot. You could argue that his QBs sucked, but c'mon. He could've been more than he was. Then he goes to the Pats and destroys the world. Coincidence? I highly doubt it. He always had the talent, but the desire is situational with him. Like you said, he'll take plays (and even whole seasons) off if the situation isn't ideal.

As for Andy Reid, I don't think he misevaluated the WRs he's gone after in the past so much as he truly thought he could get away with them. I'm fairly certain he knew exactly what he was getting in guys like Pinkston, McMullen, McCants and Thrash. McNabb has managed to put up some phenominal numbers with absolute bums to throw to. He was on pace for 4K+ yards a couple years ago and that was with a ton of drops by the guys he was throwing to. Andy just seemed to think that so long as he had Donovan he could skimp on recievers, still get results, and throw money elsewhere. We all saw how absurdly good he looked when he finally got a legit #1 receiver in T.O.

Things seem to be coming full circle and after watching the playoffs from home last season, it looks like Andy's got the itch again. If this Fitz thing gets pulled off, I can't help put think we've got a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl. I know it sounds homeristic, but you only need one great WR to make everyone else around them more effective. Remember T.O. flanked by Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell in the Superbowl? This time it would be Fitz flanked by Curtis and Brown and that'sa helluva lot better than what we went to Super Bowl XXXIX with.

As for Andy Reid, I don't think he misevaluated the WRs he's gone after in the past so much as he truly thought he could get away with them. I'm fairly certain he knew exactly what he was getting in guys like Pinkston, McMullen, McCants and Thrash. McNabb has managed to put up some phenominal numbers with absolute bums to throw to. He was on pace for 4K+ yards a couple years ago and that was with a ton of drops by the guys he was throwing to. Andy just seemed to think that so long as he had Donovan he could skimp on recievers, still get results, and throw money elsewhere. We all saw how absurdly good he looked when he finally got a legit #1 receiver in T.O.

Keep in mind too-we're in that "new" NFL of the salary cap and FA.

Sure-Peyton Manning has had the full arsenal his entire career-from the OL to the RBs to the TEs to a full set of WRs. However-the Colts consistently had ****** run D's every year. Heck-when your D can't stop anyone, especially during LONG stretches of a game, it only puts your O on the bench, on ice, and keeps the opposing D's fresh throughout the game.(and more pressure on your O to get into a shootout)

The Eagles-OTOH-have always had some sick depth on the OL and D side of the ball, where their front 7 would consistently rotate throughout the game keeping fresh bodies(one of the VERY few teams that have this luxury). Remember that '03 season where Taylor, Vincent, Dawk, Hollis Thomas, Marbury, et al missed significant stretches of the season with injury, but they ended up winning 12 games and having one of the best scoring D's? And for that matter too, while Romo sits to pee here in Dallas may have so many weapons on O, the OL has been very inconsistent, while McNabb's line has always been one of the best.

Anyhow-don't know Reid's(nor Polian's, or any other GM's intentions), but when you have that salary cap on your back all the time, you really have to make alot of quick decisions.:2cents:

Anyhow-don't know Reid's(nor Polian's, or any other GM's intentions), but when you have that salary cap on your back all the time, you really have to make alot of quick decisions.:2cents:

Too true - that's what seperates thwe winners from the losers these days. You know you're going to lose people. It's a matter of who you choose to keep that determines your chances these days.

:eaglesuck At the WIRE, what there is a time limit on day four to sign a contract when there is a bidding war? WHAT! Moss are you ok? I think your scared of facing Landry twice a year until he ended your carrer. I guess it was a good move: chicken!:patriotsu

I think the if the Cards do trade with Philly, because they know they are desperate for top tier WR and there are fe candidates around, they are going to rape the birds . It might be worth it but I have the feeling the cap hit would be far too big for a trade to happen .

After the Samuels deal, do the Eagles have the cap space that would accommodate Fitz?

I believe so. They were almost $30 mil beneath the cap on Friday.

Not sure what others think, but this play for moss (whom the Eagles reportedly offered more $/year) seems to be AR & Co.'s final hurrah for McNabb. Does anyone think he is still an Eagle after this season? Seems obvious they're trying to get as much in place as possible for one more run with #5.

Not getting Moss is probably a good thing IMO. I'd much sooner have Fitz or even Roy Williams as they have quite a bit more mileage left and would be a good help to Kolb if/when he takes over.

Archived