Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Lost Moss at the Wire?

Eagles_Legendz

Not getting Moss is probably a good thing IMO. I'd much sooner have Fitz or even Roy Williams as they have quite a bit more mileage left and would be a good help to Kolb if/when he takes over.
They are younger but in Moss you know what you are getting and you wouldn't have needed to give up anything for him.

I agree this is the buildup to the final AR/McNabb hurrah.

Eagles are depending more and more on free agency each season. Interesting trend to see as McNabb and Westbrook age. Is there panic in Philly that NOT taking dramatic action will result in the club having to rebuild on offense in 2009? :)

Philly's record in free agency has not been stellar over the past few years. How have the acquisitions of the veteran DL worked out for the club?

Eagles are depending more and more on free agency each season. Interesting trend to see as McNabb and Westbrook age. Is there panic in Philly that NOT taking dramatic action will result in the club having to rebuild on offense in 2009? :)

Philly's record in free agency has not been stellar over the past few years. How have the acquisitions of the veteran DL worked out for the club?

They depended on it the most in 04 and have made significantly smaller splashes since then. The Eagles more often than not have been criticized for being inactive in FA, not for being buyers. The only big addition last season was Curtis who was fine.

FWIW-I never thought Moss was this cancerous figure. Yeah-he's a nut and has alot of off-the-field problems(and even takes a few plays off here and there), but overall, he's been a decent teammate. Personally-him being an Eagle wouldn't have bothered me b/c having to see his highlights to death every week being in our division et al would still have been a pleasure to watch.

Anyhow-Reid's evaluation of the WR position has been just as bad as Parcells' evaluation of OLs here in Dallas. Throughout his tenure here, he misfired in the draft every year to the point where we had no choice but to break the bank on Leonard Davis last year. Don't get me wrong-Davis has been a HUGE upgrade to our OL, but we could have saved a heck of alot of money in salary cap space if he had guessed much more correctly. Same with Reid-yeah, they'll likely get Fitz or whoever, but they're going to have to sell the farm to do so(i.e. Lito, 1st day draft picks, and possibly a Herremans) thanks to bad draft choices in years past.

I don't think Parcells choice of OL draft picks were the problem(besides the player they drafted from USC in 2004)...I believe it was more his stubborness to stick with Drew Bledsoe, who made the offense line look really bad. I'm still perplexed as to why he stuck with him for so long.

Thank god the Iggles didn't get Moss. I don't see the Patties setting any more records or even winning another Super bowl.

Those Iggles sure are trying to add some firepower.

Other thing about Moss is I just don't think he fits Reid's offense (besides his propensity to pass). TO was a good fit because he would come across the middle on pass routes and was great for YAC. Seemed to be more of a move-the-chains receiver.

Obviously as a fan I would have quickly adapted to Moss as an Eagle and would have fallen in love with the thought of what we could do with him on board.

However, knowing he's staying in NE is a bit of a relief. He just feels too much like a mercenary to really get excited about.

I'm a little surprised this guy doesn't have his own thread, but a lot of informed football people that I've come across have thought that he's the best value among all of the FA WR's this year. I personally wanted us to sign either him or Bryant Johnson, who is bigger than DJ but also less proven.

Hackett's main problem has been injuries, but he'll fit right in with Santana. :doh:

I'm amazed at our relative silence in FA this year even given Vinny's assurance that that would be our M.O., but the market on FA WR's has now been set all around Hackett with the signing of Berrian, Johnson, Porter and Stallworth, so I've got to think we'll see a move with Hackett very soon. Given that we're not on a rebuilding track, we need a WR who can play now, not a rookie in the draft who we hope can play in coming years.

Hackett's the guy IMHO given his familiarity with Zorn and Zorn's system.

Chad Johnson? To Buffalo?

Anyways, I'm down for Hackett, but would MUCH rather see Roy Williams in DC. As said before, in 3 (or 4 seasons) Hackett hasn't even started a full season. However, he was quite productive in the 6 games he played last year. It seems like a typical Redskins gamble to me. But worth it for the right price.

Yeesh...Eagles + Moss + a healthy McNabb and Westbroke = NFC dominance again. Thank god that deal didn't go down.

They depended on it the most in 04 and have made significantly smaller splashes since then. The Eagles more often than not have been criticized for being inactive in FA, not for being buyers. The only big addition last season was Curtis who was fine.

Seriously-what's so GREAT about FA anyways, in football, that is? Every year, the entire crop is pretty much less-than-impressive. There are only like 2-3 very good ones, and they're only system players, at best(i.e. Adalius Thomas-who didn't exactly make his presence felt in NE).

OTOH-look at my team and FA in the post-Jimmy years...when Jerry sold the farm on Deion, it had LONG term consequences-our OL was shot to ****, which ultimately ended Aikman's career.:(

Difference between Moss and Samuel is that when Moss says he wants the best chance to win, he means it, and his actions speak for it.

When Samuel says he wants the best chance to win, he means, the team that pays him the most.

Kudos to Moss for taking less money to play where he knows he has the best shot at winning a ring. Very rare nowadays.

samuel already got 2 rings so he should play for less money ? lol at that

I'm kinda surprised that Philly didn't up the offer - they have plenty of cap space, and they could have easily reduced the deal to a 3 yr one to match NE.....which they could have easily floated for 2 more years....

This would have instantly made them the favored team in the NFCE. I can't stand McFlabb for what he has done to the skins over the years, but he loves the deep ball, and giving him a target like Moss would have been deadly.

I'm kinda surprised that Philly didn't up the offer - they have plenty of cap space, and they could have easily reduced the deal to a 3 yr one to match NE.....which they could have easily floated for 2 more years....

This would have instantly made them the favored team in the NFCE. I can't stand McFlabb for what he has done to the skins over the years, but he loves the deep ball, and giving him a target like Moss would have been deadly.

I'm also glad Moss didn't end up in Philly. Based on AR's interview yesterday on Mike and Mike, they never had a shot at signing him. Reid stated Moss had no intention of leaving NE.

I like how they saw the eagles lost him at the wire. Moss never planned on leaving the Pats. He just used the eagles to jack up the price. I'm hearing the eagles offered him an arm and a leg and still nothing.

Archived