Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles are in discussions with AZ for Larry Fitzgerald

Skins4ever1

Over the last few years, selectively informed fans such as yourself have frequently pointed out that the Eagles don't use all of their cap space. The issue, which most people who pay close attention to the league realize, is that teams are able to use their cap space until a bit past midway through the season. Frequently, the Eagles have not used all of their cap space during the free agency period, and many people call them cheap as a result, and then those same people fail to pay attention during the season when the Eagles use that cap space by giving long-term extensions to young players still playing on their rookie contracts.

That's how Reggie Brown makes more than 6 mill per years. Similar deals have been given to Sheldon Brown, Lito Sheppard, Mike Patterson, Trent Cole, Shawn Andrews, Greg Lewis, Brian Westbrook, Todd Herremans, and Donovan McNabb.

Throw in HUGE money free-agent deals with guys (with mixed success) such as John Runyan, Jevon Kearse, Darren Howard, and Asante Samuel, and it's plain to see that the Eagles have been more than willing to shell out the dough when they see fit.

I am actually quite aware of this strategy. It's one that looked pretty smart for a while. But has netted the Eagles the same thing they got the 30 + seasons before they started it, ZERO SB wins.

Since you did not disagree with my sentiment that the Eagles have really only been 2-3 players away from finishing the deal at multiple points over the better part of the past decade, then you must agree they have been cheap. Clearly an Eagle fan as much any other would have to agree that one Lombardi trophy is worth a lot more than all those extra division titles.

Your organization refuses to throw out the real guaranteed dollars, btw. Those deals you speak of (while I doubt fill up your cap space, you had $9.5m recently) are also not completely reflective of a team willing to spend money.

I am actually quite aware of this strategy. It's one that looked pretty smart for a while. But has netted the Eagles the same thing they got the 30 + seasons before they started it, ZERO SB wins.

Since you did not disagree with my sentiment that the Eagles have really only been 2-3 players away from finishing the deal at multiple points over the better part of the past decade, then you must agree they have been cheap. Clearly an Eagle fan as much any other would have to agree that one Lombardi trophy is worth a lot more than all those extra division titles.

Your organization refuses to throw out the real guaranteed dollars, btw. Those deals you speak of (while I doubt fill up your cap space, you had $9.5m recently) are also not completely reflective of a team willing to spend money.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. They haven't been able to win a Super Bowl, so they're cheap? That doesn't make much sense.

They've taken one approach to free agency and team building in general. The Redskins have taken an entirely different approach. Neither has won a Super Bowl. You may disagree with the Eagles approach, and I'm not even saying that I agree with it entirely, but "cheap" is an inaccurate label.

Just came across this.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1204434336148950.xml&coll=5&thispage=2

Conversations between the Eagles and the Arizona Cardinals re garding the availability of stud wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald were held, according to a league source, but the Cardinals' asking price for Fitzgerald "was absurd," according to the source.

Well, the fact that they acknowledge a discussion is something. Hopefully, that's as far as it gets.

as for this deal, would be a typical eagles steal. justice is horrible and lito is no better than a depth CB in another system.

How do you figure Lito is no better than a 3rd corner? He might have injury issues, but he is a very good CB in this league. Look at what he did against TO in the second game this year and Moss against the Pats. When he plays, the Eagles D is/was significantly better, primarily because JJ can leave him on an island and apply pressure elsewhere.

Skins4ever1 is an Eagles fan.

Ya think :)?

How pathetic is it to come on another team's board and pretend you are a fan of that team, all the while gushing over a division rival?

It's pretty bad when a (respected) fan of that rival like OWU calls you out for pimping HIS team :laugh:.

How do you figure Lito is no better than a 3rd corner? He might have injury issues, but he is a very good CB in this league. Look at what he did against TO in the second game this year and Moss against the Pats. When he plays, the Eagles D is/was significantly better, primarily because JJ can leave him on an island and apply pressure elsewhere.

Then why are the Eagles looking to replace him?

Not sure where I heard it, but numbers I heard were Lito and two 1sts. Eagles (supposedly) were willing to go with a 1st and Lito.

The offer was a 1st, Lito and Justice....possibly Moats as well because of his expiring contract.

Because hes simply not that good. I wouldnt say very good CB, Id say average. I would rather take a flyer on a 3rd or 4th rounder and work him in vs trading that pick for Lito.

And JJ doesnt leave anyone on an island. Why do you think they scrambled to pick up Samuels? Dawkins is not the ballhawk he used to be, he isnt there to bail their mediocre corners out any longer. They do not have decent help from safeties in coverage anymore, and need cover corners.

Lito is the product of a good system like so many others on that defense (Taylor, Vincent, Lewis, Trotter, Emmons, Simon we can go on and on).

I would keep him unless something like the Fitz deal came true.

Simple fact, Samuel + Sheppard + Brown = Sickness.

Exactly. It seems a lot of people think we'll trade him simply for the sake of making another deal. Right now, we have three great corners. If we trade Lito, we're back to two great corners and a huge drop off at number 3.

If the right deal does come around, corner becomes an important position once again come late April.

Because hes simply not that good. I wouldnt say very good CB, Id say average. I would rather take a flyer on a 3rd or 4th rounder and work him in vs trading that pick for Lito.

And JJ doesnt leave anyone on an island. Why do you think they scrambled to pick up Samuels? Dawkins is not the ballhawk he used to be, he isnt there to bail their mediocre corners out any longer. They do not have decent help from safeties in coverage anymore, and need cover corners.

Lito is the product of a good system like so many others on that defense (Taylor, Vincent, Lewis, Trotter, Emmons, Simon we can go on and on).

Easy on Taylor and Vincent. Bobby Taylor played Michael Irvin better than any corner I ever saw, and did so long before Jim Johnson implemented his system.

Troy Vincent was one of league's best in Miami, Philly before JJ, and Philly with JJ. He would have excelled in any system he played in.

injuries

Exactly. So, I'd be surprised if another team placed much value on him other than as a nickel corner. As Parcells said, the most important ability is availability.

If the Eagles are willing to sign Samuel to a huge deal and let Sheppard go, then he is probably damaged goods in some way. As such, he's almost a throw-in to a trade, not a central piece of it.

point taken, however I think youre exxagerating just a tad..."leagues best"?

i actually wouldnt mind hearing the lito shuffle played at fedex...for that id up my offer to a 6th rd pick :)

For the majority of his career, TV was one of the league's best corners. He was never as good as Champ Bailey in any one season, and obviously he's not in the same tier as Darrell Green or someone like that. Year in, year out, however, TV was nothing less than a pro-bowl caliber corner.

EDIT: Ask the Miami fans who bemoaned his free-agent departure for years and years afterward.

Larry Fitzgerald would make the Eagles a much tougher opponent if McNabb can stay healthy. He's still so young, and already is one of the league's best WRs. That WR corps would be twice as good as the one Philly sported in their '04 run.

Too bad it's not going to happen! You guys can dream though right? ;)

Exactly. So, I'd be surprised if another team placed much value on him other than as a nickel corner. As Parcells said, the most important ability is availability.

If the Eagles are willing to sign Samuel to a huge deal and let Sheppard go, then he is probably damaged goods in some way. As such, he's almost a throw-in to a trade, not a central piece of it.

It's hard to say. I think there are teams who would see him as a centerpiece corner when healthy, and therefore be willing to take the risk that he would remain healthy in the future.

For the majority of his career, TV was one of the league's best corners. He was never as good as Champ Bailey in any one season, and obviously he's not in the same tier as Darrell Green or someone like that. Year in, year out, however, TV was nothing less than a pro-bowl caliber corner.

EDIT: Ask the Miami fans who bemoaned his free-agent departure for years and years afterward.

That means nothing...people cried about Smoot leaving here forever. Every time Walt Harris touched the field people whined about the day snyder wouldnt pay Smoot. Youll find Skins fans who would say Smoot was one of the best corners in the league too...irrelevant.

As for teams taking a risk on the guy...I have to admit, injuries aside, the guy is still fairly young. There may be 1 or 2 desperate teams in the league that view this guy as their centerpiece corner, but thats a big gamble, and certainly not one a team should opt to take by giving up a decent draft pick.

Archived